Athlete Salaries

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
If their bringing the money, attention, and hype to their sport and team then yes. Its still crazy to think some dude who didn't finish college but can dribble a ball well can make 30-60 million a year easily if their a megastar in their sport.

But when is it too much? How do you justify continuing to increase the salary of one star player to the point that it bankrupts the team?

I know a lot of teams have had to re-evaluate last year with COVID-19 on just how much they're willing to justify spending on a salary for one player on the off chance they might make a difference in the season or help win a championship or title.

Jesse Pinkman

Preeminent
Yes, its all about investment and money you get in industry.

If you take soccer it differs where you play . Pro league athletes earn enough for 2 generation if invested well after retirement . Not so much again if you go tier down Jamie Vardy had to do part time with his career untill he clicked with Leicester city .

There is more to it most athletes need to jnvest on fitness every day , no time with family and more commitment to yhe team , there is also threat of losing contract if you dont perform to expectation so they need to be A game all the time. Its same with every sport .

Jesse Pinkman

Preeminent
But when is it too much? How do you justify continuing to increase the salary of one star player to the point that it bankrupts the team?

I know a lot of teams have had to re-evaluate last year with COVID-19 on just how much they're willing to justify spending on a salary for one player on the off chance they might make a difference in the season or help win a championship or title.
Depends most sport team go bankrupt if its not managed well.

This was same case Juventus had to let go Ronaldo to United because he costs a lost. Barcelona is good example how the owner ran things to ground.

Sustainability is huge issue in sports. Over the years Arsene Wenger was praised how he managed his team with average player and turning them to world class .

Sustainability is huge issue in sports. Over the years Arsene Wenger was praised how he managed his team with average player and turning them to world class .
This seems to be the way to go. I get it, they're top class athletes and they can demand a salary they feel is worthy of their talent. However, if the club doesn't have the money or revenue stream (I know COVID messed with a lot of the La Liga clubs this way because they didn't have the usual attendance rates), you can't justify spending some of these sums on one player.

I feel Ajax does a good job of taking youths and training them into great talents, though they then usually get gobbled up by the bigger clubs.

Jesse Pinkman

Preeminent
This seems to be the way to go. I get it, they're top class athletes and they can demand a salary they feel is worthy of their talent. However, if the club doesn't have the money or revenue stream (I know COVID messed with a lot of the La Liga clubs this way because they didn't have the usual attendance rates), you can't justify spending some of these sums on one player.

I feel Ajax does a good job of taking youths and training them into great talents, though they then usually get gobbled up by the bigger clubs.
Its not viable in PL now . The level of premier league is way too high compared to Dutch league .

Billion dollar club have too much money to buy world class player. Investing on young player is a boon but its just difficult right now thats why loan system has been good approach.

GregSteve

Bakugou died for your lmao's
V.I.P. Member
I mean honestly if the team pays them and the average person continues to buy the merch, tickets and food at the venue I don't see why not they're good for mental and promoting physical health as much as they are entertaining

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I don't think so, they're just modern day gladiators with a far easier job.

There are people that hold up this society on their backs, progressing our technology, our knowledge, and they get a pittance compared to athletes who offer comparatively little value with what they do.

I disagree strongly with the pay by talent idea our society works on, and am more in favor of pay favoring those that keep our society going, mind you money also tends to corrupt everything so even though I think there are numerous people more deserving, I would be greatly worried about the negative effects on any given industry.

I think everyone deserve the opportunity to make enough money to never work again but we live in a world of finite resources and somebody who plays a game as their living is hardly deserving of such an obscene salary.

Like do we really think some sports player deserves a huge salary more than a Soldier? A police officer? A scientist who has progressed our knowledge? An inventor who has progressed our tech?

Ultimately I think people deserve the chance to be able to afford necessities and live a very comfortable life without having to work after doing something like sports, but to have obscene salaries that are wasted on ridiculous cars and estates? No. I think we'll have to become less self centered in the future of our species and I think we'll eventually build a society and add rules and laws that reflect that.

Back