Chrono Trigger respect & lore thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Chrono Trigger is a time travelling JRPG released for the Super Nintendo created by Squaresoft. It was followed by a sequel called Chrono Cross, and a spinoff called Radical Dreamers. There is also a short OVA by Production IG, and a rerelease for Nintendo DS which added some more content to branch the original game and Chrono Cross.

It follows the adventures of Crono, a young man who wakes up to go to see his friends science experiment at Guardia Fair, but soon finds himself on an adventure across time and space...
eslFAlQ.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos destroys the world in the bad ending, tearing apart the surface and flooding it with lava and raining down rocks. The planet remains a nuclear wasteland for centuries afterwards.

Frog cuts a landmass in half with the Masamune.

The Chrono Trigger being activated causes a Solar Eclipse and freezes time.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos falls from space as the meteor that wipes out the dinosaurs and destroys Tyranno Lair.

Lavos waking up 12000 BC causes all the islands of Zeal to fall from the sky and destroy the world below.

This very noticably causes entire continents to vanish. Antiquity before Lavos awakens...
Up7hIFv.png
...and after.
ZXV8LSd.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Robo has a Megaton Arm, a Gigaton Arm and a Teraton arm as optional upgrades.
Megaton Arm: An arm that packs a massive punch.
Gigaton Arm: An arm capable of dealing a mighty wallop.
Teraton Arm: A terribly powerful punching arm.
Marle's Sonic Bow fires arrows at sonic speeds, and her comet bow strikes like a meteorite.
Sonic Bow: A bow that fires arrows at sonic speed.
Comet Bow: A bow whose shafts strike like meteorites
Lucca can throw Megaton Bombs at her enemies (also if memory serves correct, this isn't a magic attack but one of Lucca's inventions).
The dreamstone gun fires beams of light (which should be evidence that the lazers are lightspeed).
Dreamstone Pistol: A dreamstone pistol that fires light beams.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The End of Time exists an infinite period of time into the future (and seems to outside the timeline all together).
IwAh1bc.png
Lavos contains all of the DNA of every creature that's ever lived on the planet (or at least every creature that's lived on the planet since it arrived).
AHpdcHg.png
Biggs (or Vicks) and Wedge from Final Fantasy VI are said to be the same as the ones who appear in Chrono Trigger, and after they were banished by the tricoch they were sent across dimensions to the world of Chrono Trigger. However, the Final Fantasy Ultimania says that Biggs and Wedge were "annihilated,"so make of the following as you will.
https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/forums/ipb/index.php?showtopic=14264
-It it true that Biggs and Wedge can rejoin the party?
Biggs: Unfortunately we're only in the party at the beginning.
Wedge: Man, does this question come up a lot. Tell Square that you want to see us in the next game!

--Valigarmanda made you both disappear... so are you dead?
Biggs: We traveled through dimensions and ended up in Leene Square in Chrono Trigger!
Wedge: Bekkler found us and now we have new jobs. (haha)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From the Nintendo player's Guide for Chrono Trigger, Ayla can shatter stone with her punches and her Rock Launch attack can launch enemies into the air with "the greatest of ease." She is "incredibly powerful," and her Tail Spin is strong enough to create a tornado (take note that Ayla can't use magic, so this is through physical strength alone), and as she hangs out with a prehistoric crowd, she can summon a dinosaur which will smack her enemies with its tail.
nP8UJwu.png
Robo is described as being "extremely powerful," and his Area Bomb is called a mega-bomb. He can also attack with lasers, and his shock attacks are powerful plasma.
QIRnkeF.png
The differences between tech skills and magic skills; tech skills are a characters abilities, while magic skills are drawn from the elements of the planet (fire, lightning, water and shadow). Working together allows you to combine powers into double techs, and even triple techs).
i5EY3vH.png
The End of Time is "a wondrous place where time periods intersect."
E2JpLU0.png
Magus manages to call Lavos, but then Lavos blows his cool and sends Crono & his friends back in time (to the Prehistoric Era) and Magus too (to Antiquity). This segment also mistakingly refers to Magus as dying in the fight.
j6xZu2z.png
Lavos falls from outer space and destroys Tyranno Lair by falling near it. In the crater, you discover another Time Gate.
LNHGPFb.png
The Epoch can span centuries in "the blink of an eye."
LBHVc6R.png
Crono and his friends posses powerful magic, but the people of Kajar also posses magic, and believe their own magic to be even more powerful than the heroes.
RD9mTf9.png
The Chrono Trigger's power is powered by hope, and by hoping hard enough, you can discover a warp has frozen Crono in time (in "a small slice of time").
8WjaC7k.png
Interestingly enough, Magus is said to be the one who originally sent Lavos back in time to the Prehistoric Era, which is the reason why it became so powerful (I'll need to look further into this one).
pNU9Gg1.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From the Final Fantasy Chronicle Strategy Guide for Chrono Trigger. Chrono and his friends go on a quest to save the Universe.
4L2yjMq.png
Lucca endevours to "break the barriers of time and space" with her inventions.
EdDbGP1.png
Time Gates are tears in the fabric of the space-time continuum.
sgqim3G.png
The End of Time is described as a "strange realm."
afcexHn.png
Lavos appearing in the Middle Ages causes a "huge rip in the space-time continuum" to open, which the heroes and Magus are sucked into.
DC1pBxg.png
Lavos falls to Earth and destroys Tyranno Castle, burying deep into the Earth. Such is the force of this impact that the entire planet enters an ice age that lasts millions of years.
EkjwDIu.png
As the heroes have already defeated the his Golem, Dalton summoning it again causes him to be "sucked into his own Dead Zone."
KWBrrdU.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Information from the Chrono Trigger Ultimania, which also has information regarding the DS rerelease (please note that I translated this with a machine, and for any super important parts I will ask some human friends if they can kindly read it and translate it proper). The End of Time is a small island-like space, not connected to the rest of space-time. Only three people can travel through time together at once, as four or more would disturb the force field of the dimension.
Np75r1E.png
Lucca
Time travel rules
I've been to a strange place. A small space like a solitary island in space-time, floating apart from all time...A world in between called the farthest end of time. An old man who seems to live in this strange places says that this is where travellers find themselves when they get lost. If four or more people born in different eras enter the space-time distortion, the force field of the dimension will be disturbed, and they will be blown to the farthest land. Hmm...I thought I understood a bit about Gate, but there's still a lot I don't know. Come to think of it, what caused the gate to appear in the first place?
The End of Time exists outside the flow of time.
I81Q8Fr.png
A place out of the flow of time, where those who become "lost children of time" end up. It is familiar with all eras, and in addition to the present and the future, it can also go to the dimensional arena.
The party is blown away by the power of the Chrono Trigger, and are sent to just before Crono disappears in a moment of frozen time.
z44MxaC.png
Go back in time and rescue Crono
When you reach the top of the mountain, the party is blown away by the power of Chrono Trigger 1 to just before Crono disappears after being attacked by Lavos at the undersea temple. Since time has stopped, no one will respond if you talk to people there, but if you examine Crono, it is possible to replace him with a Doppel Doll. After this, when the party returns to the mountain of death, Crono is revived, and the party automatically moves to the End of Time.
Lucca talks about how Queen Zeals Black Dream (the Black Omen?) casts a shadow over space-time, both the past and the future, and that 14,000 years in the future Zeal and Lavos will destroy the world. She then says that she and her friends will stop them from doing so with all their power.
DSqi2Wj.png
Lucca
End the eternal dream!
Black Dream - It is a dream that Queen Zeal, who has been fascinated by Lavos, continues to see in ancient times and never wakes up. Apparently on the day when the civilization of the world was destroyed and people lost their magical powers, it is a nightmare in a blind alley that spans the space-time of the past and the future without casting a shadow over the world. It keeps waiting. A time when a god and a monster wakes up from it's 14,000 year slumber to bring about the "Day of Lavos"...Of course not! The power of science, the power of magic, the power of primordial power, and the power of frogs! And Crono's car has returned - I'll hit you with all the power we have and wake you up from that bad dream! I'll let you know it's not eternal life!
Lavos not only steals the energy of the planet, but also the DNA and memories of all of the creatures that live on the planet. While Lavos sleeps, it collects the best parts of other creatures to send its evolved alter-ego to another planet (I'm not sure if this is refering to Lavos' own alter-ego or just spreading its young across the cosmos).
rFZSmu5.png
Marle
Stealer of Life Memories
I finally got it. What did Lavos' identity come for and what did he do from the Primitive Age? On that day when the dinosaurs were destroyed, Lavos fell from the sky and settled on this planet. He was a parasite in our world, sucking up minutes...but that's not all. Lavos has absorbed even the creatures that have become stronger in battle according to the laws of the land of all creatures living on the planet. While I'm sleeping, I'm collecting only the best parts of other creatures and I'm trying to send my evolved alter-ego to another planet! I can't let that happen! Crono, everyone...let's end it here! Let's take this planet back into our hands!
The dimensional vortex appears in the past, present and future, and entering it takes you to another space which doesn't belong in any era.
abo3cU1.png
Dimensional Vortex
A strange gate that suddenly appears in three eras: ancient, modern and future. Crono who enters the gate arrives at a space that does not belong to any era. What awaits them in the deepest part of a different space where they are led as if being called by something?
Robo has a space-time gyro that lets him tell the time and what place it is, but it doesn't work in the dimensional vortex. Within the dimensional vortex, all eras mingle together, and there are implications of creating branching timelines through time travel.
8ozCCfI.png
Robo
Shoot the split shadow!
The ancient, the modern and the future - the three-dimensional distortion that suddenly appeared is a tremendous deshita that far exceeds our common sense. In the distortion, my space-time gyro is completely useless, and I can't identify the time and place. Yes, rather, it's a space that should be called nowhere, where all the eras have been mixed together like a broken puzzle. Awaiting in the depths are three shadowy deshitas who live in the kingdom 1000 years old, which is the starting point to save the future of the planet from the threat of Crono, Marle, and Lucca Lavos. Another modern phantom with countless branches created by the alteration of history.
The gate in the bucket that leads to the Day of Lavos also leads to another dimension. Crono and his friends jump into the bucket to confirm the identity of the terrifying signs similar to to Lavos emanating from there.
4WltiUC.png
It seems that the gate that was connected to the Day of Lavos, a bucket placed at the End of Time, was also connected to another dimension. Crono and others jump into the bucket to confirm the identity of theterrifying signs that are similar to Lavos emanating from there.
Magus says he and the heroes will transcend time and space to defeat Lavos, and contemplates the different possibilities which they create, and wonders if they vanish if they choose one. He then thinks about how all of these possibilities likely exist as innumerable worlds which overlap each other in a space-time dimension, and how on some worlds Lavos won, and on other worlds there may be creatures even worse than Lavos. No matter which world, he swears to fight the threat, no matter how harsh his fate may be.
uuXGxhU.png
Magus
A world where future threatens to sleep
We will transcend time and space to defeat Lavos, who landed on this planet in ancient times and will bring the fate of destruction to the future. It's just an act of grabbing one of them.
If so, will the other histories that where not chosen by us disappear? I don't think so. The world of "innumerable possibilities" will continue to exist overlapping with this world in a space-time dimension that is different from this world. There is a world where Lavos could not be stopped...or, there may be other worlds trampled by more troublesome monsters. In any of them, I will fight and fight. No matter how harsh my fate is, I will definitely...

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The links to all three guides, if anyone else is interested in looking at them.

Nintendo Player's Guide for Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy Chronciles: Chrono Trigger Strategy Guide

Chrono Trigger Ultimania

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the DS rerelease, we visit Time's Eclispe, where they meet an alternate version of Magus. He says that Time's Eclipse is the future of his own world where Lavos was defeated, though he says this may not be the fate of the world that we come from. There are as many worlds as there are potentialities, and that in Time's Eclipse a new threat has arisen, one which devours dreams, memories and thoughts.
RQpML6i.png
hoXrWOm.png

iNwQo8m.png

kJ2jWqi.png

aMzKHpQ.png

aILZuOy.png
Schala with her memories and dreams being consumed by the Dream Devourer says that she's ok to let "everything that once was fade" and to bring an end to all existence.
FmFPgPT.png
The Dream Devourer devours dreams from a distant dimension.
yB2eGaf.png
Schala briefly wakes up to her true self again, and says there's only a short amount of time before Lavos consumes all of her awareness. From the bottom of her despair and sadness, she wished for all that was to be erased, and says that (alternate) Magus's power cannot stop her, no matter how strong he grows (or anyone). She then sends this Magus back to his own time in his own universe.
o9hsUKJ.png

hVaxNRc.png

tf3GrYU.png

Jlh9bku.png

Yk27AHr.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the DS rerelease, The Lost Sanctum is an area located in what seems to be an alternate dimension, portals to which appears after the Black Omen surfaces in both Prehistoric Times and the Middle Ages. Outside the village of peaceful reptilians are huge towers which weren't discovered by any humans.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Arena of the Ages is an extra-dimensional arena where monsters from all across time fight. Time flows differently here, and the arena may be its own dimension. It's also noted that the Old Man at the End of Time (Gaspar) can keep their progress in check if they come and leave through the End of Time, but if they came from anywhen else, everything they did in the arena for that period would be washed away as soon as they leave.
cvfOC9q.png

NaKZVtb.png

AD7efM9.png

qZxja1Q.png
You can train monsters by sending them to different time periods, but you can only send them to time periods you've been to before.
jGMwfDL.png

2x0gBqP.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From the DS rerelease, if you clear all Dimensional Vortices, the bucket which links to the Day of Lavos at the End of Time also links to another place in a distant plane, far beyond Time's Eclipse. This is due to the distortions in time which also caused the Dimensional Vortexes. The Old Man detects that the energy leaking out is similar to that of Lavos in that it's fearful and dread, but also a sad and lonely energy leaks from their too.
UGCLAG0.png

HtkVoK3.png

CcLfq01.png

xhqWEMB.png

S9W5beU.png

Jw3FYtP.png

M9X4VCx.png

o4YmzR1.png

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Lavos is what happens when you mix DBZ with Final Fantasy

ridiculously powerful in terms of firepower and hax

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Early in the game in the year 1000, someone asks you if you felt the earthquake. If you say yes, then he'll go on to say that there's been way too many earthquakes recently, and he's worried that "the big one" is coming.
7MH2QfI.png

tZJbJ4w.png
Lucca & Taban's inventions are noted to always blow up.
s4cP0G4.png

dqmo0kJ.png
A mysterious whirlpool is noted to sometimes appear nearby (this is how you later get from Medina back to Guardia).
i28EdhD.png
Lucca & Taban's teleporter is called a Super Dimension Warp. The teleportation warp is successful when Chrono goes through, but Marle's pendant interferes with the teleporter and she's sent into the past.
g7KwLy2.png
Lucca says the way Marle vanished wasn't to do with the Telepod, and then comments on how Marle's pendant seemed to interfere with the warp field.
vqj3Jvw.png

fPvUZLM.png
Right before she vanishes, a mysterious green light appears and Marle notes she's in awful pain like she's about to be torn apart.
ZpjJrTS.png

HrrUsyg.png

ZpjJrTS.png
Marle (who is actually Princess Nadia) being in the past risks a Grandfather Paradox in which if Leene dies, Marle will cease to exist.
v6PPbn9.png

YFuAhuq.png

uhgzM7u.png

XScpICh.png

nvYw8gb.png
Cv8LQPo.png
When Marle returns from never having existed in the first place, she says she was somewhere dark and lonely (though she can't remember all of it) and wonders if that's what death feels like.
s1ebQ7O.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Yakra can shake the ground by pounding it from the air.
VvK33O.gif

GMG20nd.png
A monster disguised as a minister of the Medieval Kingdom of Guardia. In addition to shooting needles and throwing iron balls, it shakes the ground and causes earthquakes.
The Dragon Tanks head heals the rest of the body, and creates a shield that protects it from fire and lightning.
HWB3NvQ.png
6juO1c7.png

Jl5KNyE.png
Crono jumps into the air and stabs the dragon tank, which then explodes and destroys the section of the bridge it's on.
16PJJG.gif

Gates are portals in space-time which connect different places (often in the same location) across time (as the one which connects Guardia Millenia Fair and Truce Valley does). Using the same principles as the Telepod, Lucca invents the Gate Key to open gates with (as gates are unstable). She then wonders is it was the Telepod which caused the gate to open or something else.
30TgcdL.png
IzZWE9J.png

zqTgX32.png

yyTilzf.png

wASA8DS.png

Z12Gaxp.png
Across the world are mysterious sealed doors and sealed boxes. These are sealed by a mysterious power/force/energy.
Pw9D3Wd.png
j8UgSJV.png
znRLF9o.png
The seals on sealed doors (and boxes) are so powerful that not even dynamite will budge them.
UScX8GL.png
The Enertron can grant someone a full nights sleep in seconds, but doesn't do anything to restore hunger.
ucnPZ8s.png
Belthasar created the Ocean Palace and the Blackbird.
Y6NGK2y.png
Belthasar warns you that it's not the right time to climb Death Mountain yet.
VYmcfXj.png
The mutants in Site 16 don't react to normal weapons like guns or swords.
lwB2glF.png
People are astounded that you're able to cross Site 16 and hurt the mutants within.
vw8wWg9.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A Hench jumps to the stairs right after waking up.
k2NqYv.gif

A Hench can punch you with enough force to push you back around 4m or 5m.
Eqm3JW.gif

Robo stops a pair of thick security doors from slamming shut.
XQ28yV.gif

c06lBBi.png
The End of Time is a place where all lost travellers in time end up. When four or more beings from different time eras enter a time gate together, the Conservation of Time theorem dictates that they'll end up at the space-time coordinates with the least resistance, that being the End of Time (the people have to be from different eras is something I'll get to below).
ZAcAiBv.png
eo46WND.png

mxpOYCW.png

jldJbVl.png

HPC74zB.png

uRnsmr1.png

7tf3o1Z.png
Disturbances in the space-time continuum have increased recently, and far too many visitors have been appearing at the End of Time (implying there's others besides Crono, Marle, Lucca and Robo). The Old Man says he's afraid that something very powerful is having a powerful effect on the very fabric of time.
JCzYbRV.png
wKBnG6k.png
All time periods connect with the End of Time.
hGO8ggi.png
Different pillars of light allow for travel to different time periods (though the one in the Bucket is particularly dangerous as it leads to the Day of Lavos).
njg1e66.png

b6OBskF.png

ihXljuv.png

Rqrv4oQ.png
The original translation of this reads differently; four people frome different times entering a space-time distortion (time gate) cause the dimensional field to distort, which is why they end up at the End of Time. There are many space-time distortions at the End of Time, and those who appeared aimlessly. He then speculates that something is exerting an effect on all of time.
Old Man: When you enter a space-time distortion with four or more people who live in different times, the dimensional field distorts......However, there are many space-time distortions in this place. There are even those who, like you, appear here aimlessly......Perhaps something is exerting an effect on all of time......

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Jolly Ol' Spekkio is the Master of War, and has watched over many battles from the End of Time. He looks strong or weak depending on whether or not those who see him are strong or weak, although he notes they are strong of will, which is why the Old Man let them through.
nuFNVAh.png

T1KHZe1.png

4Kpft68.png

WNeOrw7.png

pMzNk5t.png

KGn37NX.png

Long ago, there was a kingdom which florished with magic and everyone had magic, but after an ancient calamity where they misused their magic everyone except "wizards" (this is referring to fiends) looses their magic.
bMXHmKJ.png

n8Brdpv.png
Chrono and his friends (or at least most of them) have what it takes to learn magic, and Spekkio teaches them. Magic needs inner strength and power of the heart.
MXhqwzR.png
Magic is made up of four elements; light/lightning, shadow/darkness, fire and ice/water.
tCxlPt4.png
Everything is based on the balance of these four powers.
Sf8jh7k.png
Spekkio teaches the heroes magic.
Qcex30q.png

sZPPY6M.png

WRayDM0.png

ZoTz8CK.png

BVHtLxw.png
Looking at the original Japanese versions and there are a few differences, such as Spekkio being the God of War.
Spekkio: It's some kinda mistake! I'm the god of war! Oh, that's it, it's because I taught you magic that you could win!
The reason Robo can't use magic is because he's not descended from the ancient magic users, though Spekkio notes he has a strong heart and his laser weapon has a serious destructive ability that resembles Dark magic.
Spekkio: This hugeass doll......You, you're not a living thing. You've got a strong heart too, but since you're not descended from the ancient magic peoples, magic's a no-go. But that laser weapon of yours has got serious destructive ability. It resembles "Dark" power.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Old Man says they need to return to their own time period to find more information to stop the calamity that befalls the entire planet soon, else it would become harder to avert the terrible future that would befall it in 2300 AD.
AsctED7.png

muGITXI.png

TNDPT6V.png

IG5p3O7.png
A fiend in Midena wishes that Heckran would give the humans "what they deserve" (this may just be referring to Crono and his friends).
3itOPne.png
Zenan Bridge was destroyed by the armies of Magus and need to be rebuilt and held (it's also a bridge to another continent).
PmQGKv4.png
jpWVM7u.png
J6TipCf.png
Ozzie can resurrect the dead and make them fight for him.
36PL4A.gif

Not only that, but he can merge skeletons together into huge monstrosities like Zombor.
qQmzJp.gif

Refugees from other countries and continents are noted to be fleeing from Magus's armies.
rQ26fRf.png

Back