Do printed and bound books have a future in modern society?

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i think they're safe for now due to how many people still have a preference for them, and how people in general enjoy having that physical connection when reading. decades and decades from now when every generation will have grown up in the digital age, i could see more people preferring ebooks / audio books in general but the fact that newspapers still exist makes me think that even if it's in the minority, physical books are always going to be around.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
They certainly do. As my friend who writes under the name "Quintus Curtius" said, physical books will be increasingly necessary because they are durable. They are harder to censor or edit according to prevailing orthodoxy. He first said this in 2017 or so and it's only grown more apparent since then.

Plus, for me personally, I don't absorb as much through an ebook as I do through a physical one, much less an audio book. I can't really pay close attention to those.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I do not have a preference for them as flipping through pages and getting continuous paper-cuts is no easy feat. I much prefer digital media consumption as I can easily carry those around in a small tablet and not worry about having to deal with pesky paper-cuts and carry a shit ton of books I want to read, when I actually want to read some. If textbooks were also in PDF/ePUB form back then and they gave us iPad's, I've love learning in school and doing homework at home. The generation where the digital transformation began is very ungrateful tbh and they should be thankful for not having back pain like most of us do thanks to lugging around heavy ass useless textbooks.

Darth Nihilus

Lord of SERVANTS
V.I.P. Member
Most of the books I've read I buy paperback. The only hardcover book I have is Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil. I do read ebooks, but unless it's something I can really get invested in at the time, I usually save it for another time. Like it's not going anywhere. It's a different feeling when it's an actual book from my experience. More than half the time you can't put it down.

Reactions: Ral
I do not have a preference for them as flipping through pages and getting continuous paper-cuts is no easy feat. I much prefer digital media consumption as I can easily carry those around in a small tablet and not worry about having to deal with pesky paper-cuts and carry a shit ton of books I want to read, when I actually want to read some. If textbooks were also in PDF/ePUB form back then and they gave us iPad's, I've love learning in school and doing homework at home. The generation where the digital transformation began is very ungrateful tbh and they should be thankful for not having back pain like most of us do thanks to lugging around heavy ass useless textbooks.
damn how frequent are these papercuts? i dun think i ever had a paper cut from reading a novel, mostly from working in the office

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
new challenge for ral: stop sliding your finger really fast along the edges of pages

Back