Earth Defense Force series

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
a short stack of buttermilk pancakes sure would hit the spot right about now!

Never liked kaijus.

When a monster is larger than a T rex it's no longer a monster, it's a natural disaster. A tornado can't make you feel hunted or scared the way a large predator can, there's no sense of intimate danger.

That being said the only EDF game I ever had the chance to play was Insect Armageddon which I hear is a spinoff so I guess it doesn't count. Plus I much prefer Infested Planet and Lost Planet (that's a lot of planets!) when it comes to Starship Troopers sims.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Never liked kaijus.

When a monster is larger than a T rex it's no longer a monster, it's a natural disaster. A tornado can't make you feel hunted or scared the way a large predator can, there's no sense of intimate danger.

That being said the only EDF game I ever had the chance to play was Insect Armageddon which I hear is a spinoff so I guess it doesn't count. Plus I much prefer Infested Planet and Lost Planet (that's a lot of planets!) when it comes to Starship Troopers sims.
The EDF series is basically a tribute to Starship Troopers, Godzilla, Gamera, Ultraman, War of Worlds, and other sci-fi/fantasy stuff but with the campiness factor cranked into hyper over-drive. Most of the common enemies are insects: Giant Ants, Giant Jumping Spiders, Giant Hornets, Giant Rollie-Pollies, Giant Black Widows (or whatever the Aranea is supposed to be), along with mutant not-Kaijuus like Eriganus (whose clearly a parody of Godzilla), Archelus, etc...Of course there are flying saucers, robotic enemies, and 5 introduced Colonists and Cosmonauts who can regenerate destroyed limbs if you leave them alone.

Try EDF 4.1/2025 if you play on PC, as it is fantastic.

if you want a Starship Troopers experience with MASSIVE numbers of insects, bugs, robots, and monsters to fight, EDF is unsurpassed.
Especially the core/main game series. 4, 4.1/2025, 5, and 6 just came out recently in Japan.

I haven't tried Iron Blood but it was an attempt specifically to make a "more" grounded EDF game for western players but it was meh.

I haven't tried Iron Blood but it was an attempt specifically to make a "more" grounded EDF game for western players but it was meh.
And ironically that was the one I wanted to get the most (if my PC wasn't a relic) :syshocked:

Looks more serious and has nicer insect models overall, I know the japanese ones have that campy feel to them but considering I grew up on Godzilla 1998 and have seen like tops 2-3 actual japanese kaiju movies in my life my tastes and desires are different.

Also again ironically I dislike horde games or at least ones where the enemies drop in a shot or two, they get boring fast... Something people who compare Starship Troopers to all these swarming games fail to remember is that in the movie version a single Bug takes like 2-3 guys to be taken down and usually takes at least one of them with it, in the movie version the humans are actually the swarmers :skully That's why I much prefer Terran Ascendancy from all the SST games because there a single Warrior Bug can mean losing half your squad early on. Just because an enemy is a hive and has unlimited numbers doesn't mean it should produce cheap weaklings, that's still a loss of time and resources.

Back