G/S/C Versus R/S/FR/LG/E

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Many people consider these two generations to be the best in the Franchise, but for different reasons. However, which do you prefer over the other and why?

I prefer G/S/C over R/S/FR/LG/E due to nostalgia, but if not for that, I would choose the latter. The latter has better gameplay mechanics, a better story (outside of revisiting Kanto, facing the remaining members of Team Rocket isn't really all that), and even a better Pokedex (and a much more challenging sidequest to complete the Pokedex at that).

Reactions: Ral

Maddie

Acclaimed
Somehow I have the most hours in GSC IDK how, but I prefer R/S/E for nostalgia and the pokemon in it. Love Sceptile, Gardevoir, Rayquaza, Sableye, Dusclops, Gardevoir, Glailie, Gardevoir, Gardevoir

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I'm torn

Crystal is by far the most fun game in the series to play for me, the sprite style is gorgeous and there is a lot more to do in Johto than I think most people realize, because so much of it is optional. The lack of really needing to worry about EVs or IVs (bullshit ass mechanics imo) makes it easier for me to just relax and enjoy playing it. I also like the region and pokemon themselves the best of any region.

If I'm trying to be "objective" then Gen 3 is better. Hoenn is bar for bar, probably the best pokedex with a huge concentration of strong designs, especially starters and legendaries. The map is mostly rewarding to navigate (the rock above Mauville notwithstanding), it has one of the best elite fours, Battle Frontier is pretty fun, nice visuals etc. Tons going for it.

Including FRLG which are the most perfect remakes of gen 1 we'll ever get (minus Giovanni not having a Rhydon(???)), plus the Sevii Islands which give you so much of that Johto flavor back anyways...Gen 3 is the superior generation.

But no matter what, I just have more fun in Johto and the simplicity of Generation 2.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
also one thing I love about Crystal is that the way they set it up you are unintentionally underlevelled the fuck at the elite four. I don't really do 'challenge runs' but this sort of thing is fun to me, team there
EiEj4cdU4AIPU3y

(hacked in larvitar bc I didn't want to wait till postgame when there's nothing to do)

E

Example

Unconfirmed
Emerald is just an expanded version of Ruby and Sapphire, which turned an already complete game and made it brim with content

Especially the Battle Frontier which is going to take most players forever to complete without an action replay.

But GSC can link to Pokemon Stadium 2 which was a cool battle simulator brimming with content.

I'd go with Emerald since the battle system was more advanced with addition of new items, pokemon, moves, and even new strategies.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I don't like the Hoenn region in gen 3. I love the Pokemon but not the jungle feel. Probably my least favorite music in the series, though it's still great video game music.
I really don't care for the heavy earth tones everywhere, it's kind of dull.

Crystal is still a favorite. Gen 2 music is my favorite, the Pokemon kinda suck though, there's too many Kanto mons and the Johto ones generally look nice but very few are actually useable in any sort of way. Level curve is terrible but I still enjoy its lengthy post game and the Johto region itself.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
hoenn has probably my favorite Elite 4 and Champion to date
Drake is by far coolest dragon master in the series thus far and I love Steven's team following a theme rather than a type, wish they'd do that again but maybe without obvious common weaknesses

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
hoenn has probably my favorite Elite 4 and Champion to date
Drake is by far coolest dragon master in the series thus far and I love Steven's team following a theme rather than a type, wish they'd do that again but maybe without obvious common weaknesses

Well Blue and Cynthia fit the well balanced team setup for champions no?

This is honestly a toughie but there are things G/S/C had over R/S/FR/LG like being able to constantly have rematches, be able to explore 2 regions at the end of the day(though this is due to Iwata's genius and how very, very small R/B/Y's actual coding was.) so I will have to go with that.

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
This is honestly a toughie but there are things G/S/C had over R/S/FR/LG like being able to constantly have rematches, be able to explore 2 regions at the end of the day(though this is due to Iwata's genius and how very, very small R/B/Y's actual coding was.) so I will have to go with that.
You have the VS Seeker on Fire Red and Leaf Green, if that counts for anything.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
VS Seeker is maybe the best quality of life improvement they've done and is partially why I hit so many hours in FRLG

naturally, they only used it in DPPT and never again

Back