Manga Ghost Reaper Girl

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Figured I'd just make a new thread in this section as opposed to asking for the other to be moved (not like many people were using it anyway). Hopefully it gets more attention now that volume one's physical copy is out everywhere. :maybe

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
What is it about? I'm asking because I'm way too lazy to click on the video.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
What is it about? I'm asking because I'm way too lazy to click on the video.
Cliff notes version of the set-up
> Evil spirits escape Hades (The Afterlife) and go back to the Living World to find suitable hosts to possess.
> Chloe Love is a 28 year old struggling actress (who looks younger than she is) who grew up in the slums, who it turns out is a very powerful spirit medium, making her a prime target for the evil spirits.
> Kai Iod is a spirit who is a member of Arkham Bullet (and a superfan of Chloe's), who basically wipe out evil spirits when they stir up trouble.
> Both of them essentially end up saving each other and it turns out Chloe can transform by having spirits possess her, gaining different abilities and attributes depending on the spirit.
> Chloe joins Arkham Bullet, becoming the titular Ghost Reaper Girl, both to make a better living doing something she's naturally talented at and obviously to become strong enough to protect herself and others from the evil spirits.

There's other stuff like an obvious Lovecraft influence (especially with the monster designs) with several characters being expys of Lovecraftian deities and even the principal antagonists are the "Great Old Ones".

I will warn you now that Kai is a self-professed lolicon. However this is pretty quickly shown as a character flaw (never seen as a good thing), the object of his affections is a 28 year old woman (he never shows interest in actual children), he's too obsessed with being a gentleman to do anything anyway and in general his character is interesting and likable enough regardless to make up for it IMO.

I can look passed it but I know it puts a lot of people off reading it entirely so it's up to you if you want to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Well I finally got my copy of Volume One.

I wonder how many people opened it at the back immediately, thinking it was read like a traditional manga only to go "WTF" when it says.
"YOU'RE READING THE WRONG WAY! Have evil spirits taken over this manga? How can this be the wrong way?" :mjpls

There's an interesting quote from Ikeda regarding Chloe and why she is the age she is.

Ikeda: "Your late twenties and early thirties - what a great age to be! It's when you have the perfect balance of youthful exuberance and life experience. I think this period is one of life's peaks.

This story's heroine is 28 years old. A female protagonist who's almost 30! My editor joked that she's a very unusual main character for a shonen publication...But if you think about it, doesn't shonen manga entrust battles over the fate of the world to minors a bit too often."

Man makes a good point. :maybe

I'm surprised his editor let him go along with it and didn't pressure him to change her. Not to mention it's good to know there was actual thought even put in to Chloe's age, Ikeda didn't just pick a number out of a hat. And it shows in the manga as she's more mature and often pragmatic than your average shonen protagonist, but she still has a little bit of optimism there as well..

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

SHOGY! :ryuaww

God the cover arts for this series are so good.
Then again the same can be said for the art in general.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Got my copy of Volume two.

I do appreciate the expanded versions of the side chapters we're getting at the end of the official Volume releases. It's not much but it gives us something new in the midst of this on-going hiatus.

Chloe's only implied bi-sexuality before is definitely canon now. Doesn't bother me because this isn't a woke story (hell that crowd are pretty much the only ones shitting on it) and it's not a big part of her character or the story. Hell it was revealed in a comedic side-chapter not even in the main story.

She's not the bi character, just a female character who happens to be bi, deal with it. 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Ral

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
THERE'S A NEW FUCKING CHAPTER OUT!
0036-001.png

Good God this halloween Chloe looks amazing. :awesome

0036-006.png

:heston
This was where I couldn't help but cry, just seeing Chloe just BE Chloe after so long hit me right in the feels. :aquacry

0036-016.png
0036-018.png

I forgot how FUCKING GOOD the art is in this. :amazing

Ooh we got all the Director's names.
0036-021.png
0036-022.png

0036-023.png

So we have:
Hastur = President of Arkham Bullet
Ithaqua = Durector of North Star Branch
Tsathoggua = Director of the South Seas Branch
Bastet = Pope of the West Capital Church
Nyarlathotep = Director of the Far East Branch

This chapter was so fucking good, I couldn't stop crying for several minutes after I finished it.
I's so glad that I kept waiting and didn't give up on this series, it was worth it, Thank You Ikeda.

Last edited:

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
New Ghost Reaper Girl chapter, Ithaqua has ice powers.
Called it when he first debuted even before I looked up Lovecraft Ithaqua, the dude just has that kind of design you know.
0037-011.png

And Bastet is actually a furry under that hood.
Makes sense I mean she is an Egyptian Goddess so that fits and I like the design, she dripped up with gauntlets and shit. :awesome
0037-025.png

Also Hastur is a complete cunt and I love it, definitely feeling a lot of final boss potential, hell he's more unlikable than Oscar C'thullu is at the moment. Now I see why Nyarla doesn't like him, well I already got the idea from his absolute justice speech in volume 4 but this chapter just solidified it. :maybe

Back