How do you handle these situations...

Figured it was time to start making threads in some of these sections and I wanted to propose some questions to everyone about some situations that pop up. Most of these situations will be set to a RTS or similar genre game.

Situation #1: Your Ally Suddenly Declares War On You!
While not normally a situation that would cause concern, you are currently engaging another player/AI country to the south. How do you react? Do you divert forces to the north to counter your former ally or do you build up defenses and sacrifice territories, holding them to the north while you finish the war to the south? Do you try to make peace with your current foe in a temporary armistice and march north?

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Bearing in mind I don't play RTS games and assuming all three sides have similar levels of resources.

Depends how good a position the South enemy's in at the time I suppose. If they're in a bit of a bad spot and refuse any sort of deal, I'd hit them with all I had to take them out ASAP before turning North.

If not, I'd only have two options, make some sort of deal with them or just dig in and play very defensively, you really wouldn't have much option in a 2 v 1 situation.

A fair point. I've left it particularly vague to see how people interpret the question and react. You would assume in this situation that you would have noticed a military build up in some of the ally's territories but not noticed them moving toward any known hostile border - then suddenly they declare war. Being the skeptic I am of allegiances with people I don't know well (i.e, real life buddies/friends), I would probably have a small garrison or two along that border that could double as a slowing force and scout.

Back