How Far Can You Take "Head Canon"?

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Like, how much can you believe in your own personal head canon over entertainment before it starts to contradict things?

For example, there are some people out there that believe Super and Boruto are non canon to DBZ and Naruto respectively. Are these just opinions or are they a matter of right or wrong?

Discuss...

Honestly, my headcanon lasts as long as it actually makes sense to keep it up.
I have no issue believing Boruto is some non-canon spinoff to Naruto because I believe Boruto is basically a complete waste of time that completely bastardizes the remains that the 4th Ninja War didn't nuke from orbit.

I can work with Super being canon to Dragonball because while it has it's issues, it still has people caring for it even if Toriyama doesn't and Toyotaro sucks.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
As long as you don't try to push your headcanon on other people as if it is definitive canon, and as long as the actual canon material doesn't contradict it completely then it's fine.

For example in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I am of the headcanon that Princess Celestia is a manipulative genius/chessmaster who fucks up on purpose in order to test Twilight and/or groom her into becoming her replacement. There is definitely some evidence at least to support this idea and it's never completely shot down, but I can see why people just think she's stupid.

Meanwhile the idea that Celestia and Luna are only able to move the Sun and Moon via "special connections" to them or other such tomfoolery, is a complete fabrication that is contradicted by how magic works in the setting alone. You can't show me Sweetie Belle being unable to move a feather because it's (and I'm quoting her directly here) "too heavy", and then try and tell me there must be more to the Princesses moving the Sun/Moon because you can't handle the idea of them being that strong.

Arcee

Notorious
Basically, I only use head canons when there are contradictory events in canon. I go with the one that I like the most lol.

Back