Modern artists you actually respect.

Myralice

Apparently I'm a problem.
Bruno Mars and The Weeknd for me. Between showing some serious respect for older styles and sounds, they're unapologetic and shameless in doing whatever they want, even if it's just releasing some shitty song they came up with in the shower. It does take balls to tell your company that if you don't let me release "I sniff feet" then I won't get you that grammy either, bitch - The Weeknd after inhaling half of Columbia.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Depeche Mode

These guys have been around since the early 80s and have never strayed from their musical ideology and philosophy while constantly able to reinvent their music and their direction with every album they've released and also not getting involved in general with whatever social or political nonsense that was going on in the UK and US

Tremendous friendly and supportative of their fans as well

Myralice

Ok, since Depeche Mode has been brought up... I'm gonna say it!

I actually LOVE Nickelback. They are the greates buttrock band ever and I will always sing along to "Never Gonna Be Alone", "Hero", "Savin' Me" and "I'd Come For You".

They're essentially the Shonen protagonist of rock music.
:kannasip

Depeche Mode

These guys have been around since the early 80s and have never strayed from their musical ideology and philosophy while constantly able to reinvent their music and their direction with every album they've released and also not getting involved in general with whatever social or political nonsense that was going on in the UK and US

Tremendous friendly and supportative of their fans as well
Wait they're considered modern?

I thought this thread is about like post 00s at least?

Myralice

Wait they're considered modern?

I thought this thread is about like post 00s at least?
I suppose I as the granny here should clarify that "Modern" would pretty much qualify as between mid/late 90's to today. If both Millennials and Zoomers have heard about them - they count.

I guess really anyone that does what they want to do musically because they actually like it, without taking into consideration what will sell well.
I think 100 gecs is probably a good example of a mainstream artist that does this. I respect them a lot, even though I don't really care for most of their music.

Back