Suggestion Archived No Holds Barred Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
I am suggesting a section where two users can agree to a flame war between each other where as long as certain Redlines aren't crossed, The Mods won't interfere .

The stipulation is that the users involved consent to this and agree to not bring up their beef outside of the section.

Instead of letting two users who clearly are developing hatred for each other pent it up untill they go apeshit on each other, there should be a way for two users who hate each other to tell each other how they feel about each other

I think this will make the forum a lot healthier, and a lot of beefs would be squashed this way as people pour their hearts out at each other and in the middle of these curses will understand each other better.

We all have seen on NF how pent up hatred only makes things worse, not just there, even IRL people not having an outlet for their frustrations makes things a lot worse.

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
I think that is pretty self-explanatory and doesn't really need to be this long drawn out back and forth set forth by all previous comments made before my post against it.

But, simply put: it's just not a practical thing when you are trying to build a forum and actually maintain it. The last thing needed is two people publically blasting each other where everyone can see. I even disagree with it being taken to PM's because then it's just gonna create problems. And, while I know this wouldn't be a popular opinion I don't think the Blender over on NF was ever good for business. But, hey. I have spoken more about why it doesn't need to be here. This really isn't an invitation either for us to debate on it because my opinion isn't gonna change.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I think that is pretty self-explanatory and doesn't really need to be this long drawn out back and forth set forth by all previous comments made before my post against it.

But, simply put: it's just not a practical thing when you are trying to build a forum and actually maintain it. The last thing needed is two people publically blasting each other where everyone can see. I even disagree with it being taken to PM's because then it's just gonna create problems. And, while I know this wouldn't be a popular opinion I don't think the Blender over on NF was ever good for business. But, hey. I have spoken more about why it doesn't need to be here. This really isn't an invitation either for us to debate on it because my opinion isn't gonna change.
It would be a hidden section aka you'd have to join a user group to see it, but like with you, I am mostly against the idea because I foresee more bad than good.

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
It would be a hidden section aka you'd have to join a user group to see it, but like with you, I am mostly against the idea because I foresee more bad than good.
I don't think it should have a specific set of regulars

I don't want a second Blender. Make it so that two users can request to go there, and once either is finished you lock them out.

Nobody other than the users beefing and the mods can view the specific thread.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
We have been slacking a teeny bit on member interaction and open policy discussion (I haven’t been around due to health problems and stuff.)

I want to do these types of notices more often when necessary, especially with things like this since it’s, theoretically, a huge change.

• Support
Reactions: Ral

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
I'm against this idea myself.

Creating a place where people can just yell at each other would just need animosity between them. Sure they can go to a special place to call each other names or whatever as much as they want, but those feelings wont go away just because they said it there. They will remember what that person said and every interaction with that person outside of that section or pm or whatever would either be super awkward for both parties or just filled with a shit ton of animosity.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
It’s a good observation that there’s not a lot of pragmatism in this.

I have been thinking about it - and honestly I am all for the trial run - and it can lead to more bad blood and have the complete opposite effect we’d want.
Feelings can get hurt, not everyone will have the same emotional threshold for this kind of stuff, and sometimes people aren’t able to let go - especially if we can’t predict that some user has crossed a line.

I think a good compromise is if these cons prove to be true, staff can shut the trial down sooner than (whatever) the proposed deadline.

If we don’t see any success, or only moderate, it probably means the cons outweigh the pros and far more harmful for member interaction.

If it has more pros than cons, we can make the section more… permanent unless bad blood brews hardcore with certain members. Everyone is different. You never know what tips someone over the edge. It also could potentially encourage and contradict the standard rules about being respectful to one another here. Do we want that as a community?

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I personally would want to go ahead with the trial run tbh

You never know if you don’t try is my philosophy (unless it’s a fantastically stupid idea like allowing extreme verbal hostility and abuse publicly just because, with no logical reasoning)

But I won’t overrule anyone here and blatantly ignore forgothisname’s concerns, either

I just need and want the community to vocalize rather than remaining quiet when it impacts future policy, attitudes, and the future of the site - it’s not something to be taken lightly admittedly even for a trial run

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
yeah i don't see why a trial run can't be done just to see what comes about. still doubt it'll do anything to help quell beef between members but the alternative is dropping it and never knowing for sure.

the only possible concern i can think of is that even just a trial run would have negative effects on the forum but if it's moderated well and issues are addressed once they pop up, that probably won't happen imo. at least not any long term effects

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
I’m not interested in this screw it, might as well experiment to see how this goes

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
not really against it but a lot of this forum seems to already operate like this anyways? At least the obd does. Kinda feel like we're all old enough to settle things ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back