Blocky

Illustrious
>tik tok about morally grey characters
>Butcher
>Darth Vader
>Eren
>Light Yagami
costanza-george.gif
You can tell when they say Light. They never read the manga.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
He didnt just go of the deep end. My man did a flip and everything
:hestonpls

Light has the morality of a toddler. Mans a whole ass clown and deserved to lose in the first couple chapters
That was actually the intent of the writer behind Death Note. Light’s greatest flaw besides his God complex was his inability to see the world as anything but black and white in morality. That’s why he so easily sunk low while still seeing himself as completely faultless just because he was killing people he saw as evil justifying anything he does.

And Billy is just an asshole psychopath whose only the “hero” because he focuses primarily on killing Supes who usually happen to be even worse than he is.

Minus the few things he cares about, there’s nothing grey about Billy, he’s just a slightly lighter shade of black to the villains’ pure black.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
That was actually the intent of the writer behind Death Note. Light’s greatest flaw besides his God complex was his inability to see the world as anything but black and white in morality. That’s why he so easily sunk low while still seeing himself as completely faultless just because he was killing people he saw as evil justifying anything he does.
For light I meant hes an actual idiot. My man did all the planning but if he had just slowed his ass the fuck down no one would have ever found out who was doing the killing. mans ego could cut fucking diamond.
And Billy is just an asshole psychopath whose only the “hero” because he focuses primarily on killing Supes who usually happen to be even worse than he is.

Minus the few things he cares about, there’s nothing grey about Billy, he’s just a slightly lighter shade of black to the villains’ pure black.
I never payed too much attention to the boys so I'll take your word for it.

You got any examples of good morally grey characters?

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
For light I meant hes an actual idiot. My man did all the planning but if he had just slowed his ass the fuck down no one would have ever found out who was doing the killing. mans ego could cut fucking diamond.

saul goodman

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member

He makes his TV version look like an outright Saint. And that’s while the comics practically bend over to justify his actions usually by making the opposition almost comically evil and edgy as well as him just being a Gary Stu with every villain besides Homelander being a joke he beats without effort.

IMG_1218_1200x1200.jpg

He’s the culmination of everything people criticize about Garth Ennis’ writing and you can go as far as saying he’s a self-insert of him. Garth at least admits Billy is his most favorite character to write.

As for well-written morally grey characters, just went into a whole spiel in the Elder Scrolls thread about why Ulfric Stormcloak is a complex character, both well-meaning yet flawed.

Usually the best morally Grey characters for me are the ones who go through character development to overcome their flaws and grow into better people as result.

Accelerator is good example of this going from a self-loathing and brooding anti-hero to being more heroic even though you can argue he’s sort of derailed back to being morally grey in Genesis Testament.

Guts is one of the best examples of a morally grey character. He hit rock bottom as a person with what happened at the end of the Golden Age to his former band, Griffith, and Casca and lived for nothing other than revenge and hatred afterwards. The series lightens up from there with Guts slowly gaining back his humanity through the new allies he makes and getting to be with Casca again. Too bad about the latest chapter though.

Zuko from Avatar is another one for reasons already mentioned. Goes from villain with redeeming qualities making him grey before having the best character development of the main cast and becoming more mature and heroic.

Joel from the Last of Us is another of one of my most favorite morally grey characters. He’s not a hero, he’s a survivor and a self-centered one willing to do terrible things to keep himself safe. And while his character development has him becoming a more humane person, that aspect of himself never leaves, keeping the morally grey aspect there. I liked him because of how realistic he was as a character throughout the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back