OBD Convo #20: I am Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
MHA started out better than BC and both series went the exact opposite directions.

MHA peaked in its first few arcs before dropping in quality. BC gets better with each arc.

Asta and Yuno is rivalry in Shounen done right. Neither is a douche or obnoxious to the other about it and the series never once makes you forget it’s friendly completion between two bros that happen to have the same goal in mind

It’s such a mature and refreshing take on a normally overdone and very often poorly executed trope

Last edited:

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
MHA started out better than BC and both series went the exact opposite directions.

MHA peaked in its first few arcs before dropping in quality. BC gets better with each arc.

Asta and Yuno is rivalry in Shounen done right. Neither is a douche to the other over it and the series never makes you forget it’s friendly completion between two bros that happen to have the same goal in mind
I can never forget the Black Clover slander at there start many thought it was gonna get axed

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
my mid academia peaked, twice

once with the all might vs all for one fight and with the endeavor vs high end fight

so

two times, that hack hori had the chance to end the series, and make it an around 7,5/10 series

so

yeah

my mid academia is a mess and still sucks now, almost burrito levels

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
Well Rey's list as good as any, I'll just cut out the ones I don't remember well

FMAB-8/10
YYH-8/10
JJBA-8.8/10 (composite score)
Rurouni Kenshin-7.5/10
Shaman King-7/10
Dragon Ball (plus Z) -7/10 (composite score)
Ushio to Tora-7.5/10
Recca-7.5/10
OP-7.5/10 - Pre skip
Rave-7/10
Nardo-6/10 - Pre Skip, Shippuden gets a 4.5/10
Inuyasha-4.5/10 - would have gone lower if it wasn't for bankotsu
Hitman Reborn- gets a 4/10 and a will not recommend just for its ending
Bleach-7/10 - up to Soul Society Rescue only, gets 5/10 at most after that
DBS-4/10
Kenichi-5/10 mostly because of its ending arcs...
Negima- Rakan gets 5/10 on his own, rest of the series gets a 3
FT-2/10
MHA-4/10
NNT-3/10 - first series only
AOT-2/10
Adventure - 8/10 - original only
02 - 6/10- BWG saves this from going lower
Tamers - 8/10
Data Squad-8.5/10
Xros Wars-8/10
Young Hunters-5/10 cause of its final act
Trigun-8/10
Cowboy Bepop-8.5/10
Outlaw Star-7.5/10

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
my mid academia peaked, twice

once with the all might vs all for one fight and with the endeavor vs high end fight

so

two times, that hack hori had the chance to end the series, and make it an around 7,5/10 series

so

yeah

my mid academia is a mess and still sucks now, almost burrito levels
Notice how none of those fights involve the main character :mjlol . Endeavor basically became the main character for a bunch of chapters and it was better than what we were getting before and what we got after :kobeha.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Imma do dragon ball
OG Dragon Ball+Z-8/10
Super-5-6/10
GT-6/10
Movies
BOG-8/10
ROF-4/10
Broly Film-8/10
Superhero-7.5/10

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Adventure - 8/10 - original only
02 - 6/10- BWG saves this from going lower
Almost finished my re-watch of 02, definitely can confirm that it's hilarious how much Ken and BlackWarGreymon carry the series. Like it's actually a good series when it's about them. :maybe

Although having two good movies doesn't hurt it either.
Tamers - 8/10
Data Squad-8.5/10
Xros Wars-8/10
Young Hunters-5/10 cause of its final act
No Frontier?

Gonna avoid ranking the other series until I get back through them as it's been literal years since I've watched them, but Adventure 01 is definitely a 7-8/10 minimum.

02 while I have enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would going back into it, I think it's problems do ultimately push it down to a 5/10 at best.

Derpmaster9000

Balor Béimnech
V.I.P. Member
Quick bit of wrestling news.

From what I'm hearing, Punk might not be returning to AEW after getting himself injured again being a prima-donna. :mjlol

If this turns out to be true, well, I only have one thing to say:

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

TrueG 37

Acclaimed
Also Yami > All Might or Endeavor

Id bring up Mereoleona too but I don’t want to make this a one-sided massacre

As much as I like All Might yeah Yami definitely beats him in being a mentor. Dude teaches Asta an alternative for magic to gain more strength and sharpens his senses, he pretty much trains him to be a master swordsman. All Might doesn't really do much by comparison. Initially that's supposed to be the point that he isn't a good teacher but when you consider that Aizawa, the guy who is supposed to be essentially Izuku's Kakashi does jack shit for him and is praised as a great teacher for some reason its evident that it's just a writing problem. Ironically Endeavor does more in a few weeks than those two did in months. Not a lot but still :mjlol.

If there's any bright spot for Mha it's that Mha Vigilantes exists and that Knuckleduster is a better mentor, Koichi is a better character, Number 6 is a better villain and foil to Koichi than Ashyraki and the story is written by a competent author instead of Hori. I'd be happy if they gave that series an anime adaptation. That last arc may have been too long but it was satisfying to see Koichi's progression :wow....... Also Skycrawler is one of the top tier hero names in the series, it's up there with Endeavor and All Might which is way more than I can say for Deku :mjlol.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
Almost finished my re-watch of 02, definitely can confirm that it's hilarious how much Ken and BlackWarGreymon carry the series. Like it's actually a good series when it's about them. :maybe

Although having two good movies doesn't hurt it either.

No Frontier?

Gonna avoid ranking the other series until I get back through them as it's been literal years since I've watched them, but Adventure 01 is definitely a 7-8/10 minimum.

02 while I have enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would going back into it, I think it's problems do ultimately push it down to a 5/10 at best.

I decided to just exclude Frontier because I remember it even less than rurouni kenshin, which I barely opted to give a rating to after some time

Limu&Doug

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
Ok I’ll bite
DBZ-9
DB-8
Zatch Bell-8
HnK-7.5
Hoshin Engi-7
Yugioh-6.5-7/10
JoJo-Decent-Mid/10
Bleach-5.5-6/10
One Piece-5/10
Naruto-lol/10
FT-🤢/10
MHA-🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮/10

Limu&Doug

Acclaimed
V.I.P. Member
this is based off my personal enjoyment of the series, if I was actually gonna talk about the quality of the writing than…..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back