OBD Convo #27: The Show Must go on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member

I've not played Ruina (or Lobotomy Corp for that matter) yet but damn this goes hard :catjamn

(I'm also noticing a shit ton of Kabbalah related terms and names but that's besides the point)

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Superman
Supergirl
Swamp Thing
The Authority

all confirmed to have movies under lolGunn

Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Booster Gold, etc are having tv shows

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Superman
Supergirl
Swamp Thing
The Authority

all confirmed to have movies under lolGunn

Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Booster Gold, etc are having tv shows
Why would The Authority have a film before Batman and all of the other guys there lol

I guess maybe they're trying not to confuse the general audience by having multiple Batmans at the same time? Kinda late to do that given they're trying to reboot an established franchise after like, 5 years

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
hqdefault.jpg

the original schizoposter

It's funny

the man considered insane was the closest to the truth

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
I'm not exactly moved by Gunn's plans, but at the very least, it's cool that we're gonna finally see GL on live action again after like ...15 years and also Booster Gold.

The Swamp Thing show was also good and it was a shame they canceled it so i also aproove that they're bringing it back.

The others range from meh...to "please don't" so i'm gonna take what i can get.

Xadlin

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Xadlins Sharpe Reviews
iu
First season:
+ music seems unfitting, but the more i listejn to it, the more it seems to create its own creation. electric guitars over militaristic drums. strange combo but dont mind it as it goes on

+nice costumes and action.

+having the emotional scenes actually be emotional and lasting is something ive missed from tv-showes actually (where they have someone die, protag turn their head away in sadness adn then the next scene they are more in their silent anger or frenzied fury, while battling the enemy or not choosing to show it.
in Sharpe, seeing the captain die, in a very realistic way, i gotta say. you see hes in pain, but hes trying to not MCU joke it away, but more keep a good tone, only until his final moments, he realises his situation and fear fills his eyestogether with sadness and anguish, before he dies. not with a big "auuugh" or big final exhale, but slowly letting his head fall to the side, a silent whisper of a beath and still, with his eyes open.

+most characters are likable instantly, as with Hogan, cooper, harper and wellesly (I have a bias towards Wellesly, since i saw his "kings color" clip :awesome) which is a good sign of a status quo based series. nice intro to his company, as its shows of all their personalities and types through cinematography and good dialogue (instead of just saying outright what their types and characters are. like most heist movies do during the 2010's)

-sharpes beginning feels a bit forced almost. him trying to act as a uncaring officer towards his new men. but its the first season so you need to establish him as a character, so ill give him a pass.
-the love affair with the spanish girl is just trying following the trope of sharpe being the womanizer he is and all women falls for him aka the james bond syndrome, which appeared everywhere during the 90's. its not bad, its just something ive seen alot where the strong female lead finds the protag interesting and then falls to the sidline.
the other bad example is when the strong female lead tries to outshine the protag and at the end of the episode or season, proves thats he can manage by herself without any mans help, which is negative, since she had no character progression since she appeared and the whole thing was to portray a message to the viewer.
Sharpe falls a bit into the first, but its a first so ill take it with a grain of salt.
-villains were a bit weak. none of the french captains had a big impact or memorability, except for the spanish tratior guy, who got some dialogue with harper and during the cease fire.

Rating: 6/10
Good for a first season. had some flaws but nice intro. hoping to see how things goes and develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back