Skin/Style Feedback Thread

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Use this thread to provide feedback and suggestions for our current skins. Please note that this thread will eventually be split up to cover separate coversations for each skin as they require less changes over time.

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
I would like the main page have an who is online somewhere on all the skins instead of just inside individual topics.

Reactions: Ral

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
Can I work with the designer on potential banners for future layouts? I wanna get my hands wet with designs but I am out of practice and know there are way better designers than me but I'd love to see a buttload more layouts and design work.

I can show you something I made back in 2015 that the forum owner did not like so they were never used:

2015:

onethousandarms2_zpsymdpajd1.jpg

2012:

pwfnewbanner_zps9a3ba54d.jpg

I had a cool one with Naruto but it's currently lost to the void. I am salty bout it.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Can I work with the designer on potential banners for future layouts? I wanna get my hands wet with designs but I am out of practice and know there are way better designers than me but I'd love to see a buttload more layouts and design work.

I can show you something I made back in 2015 that the forum owner did not like so they were never used:

2015:

onethousandarms2_zpsymdpajd1.jpg

2012:

pwfnewbanner_zps9a3ba54d.jpg

I had a cool one with Naruto but it's currently lost to the void. I am salty bout it.
We don't really have a dedicated skin/style/theme person, but if you want to get your hands dirty with seeing if you can make some skins for this forum, I was thinking about spinning up a lab again to run experiments and whatnot

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
I dunno bout making full on skins. Never done that before. I only have made banners. haha I'd be willing to take a crack. But, I suck compared to people like @Rohan. I am envious.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I dunno bout making full on skins. Never done that before. I only have made banners. haha I'd be willing to take a crack. But, I suck compared to people like @Rohan. I am envious.
Most people know I like letting people learn about this old ass forum software lmao so having more people know about how it works and how skins are developed only benefits us in the long run. It'll also boost your skills in the process so it's a win win! Give me a few days to set up and I'll shoot you over an invite

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
Most people know I like letting people learn about this old ass forum software lmao so having more people know about how it works and how skins are developed only benefits us in the long run. It'll also boost your skills in the process so it's a win win! Give me a few days to set up and I'll shoot you over an invite

I'll take it very seriously and thank you for the opportunity.

Krack

Illustrious
Banned Member
oh found that graphic I was looking for that he didn't like:

I thought it was fire for a light theme banner.

• Wow

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
@Ral can you please add these freebies?
Of course G :catjamn

• Wow
Reactions: eye

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
@BLACKBEARD they are up now! (check the list).

Really digging the 'Shades of Blue' one the most :catgirljamn

@Dr. Watson, m'lady, can you apply the avatar resize code to these new skins? We also need to apply some smol logos to them as well, at least as a placeholder over the default XenForo logo.

• Wow
Reactions: eye

Leng

Illustrious
The OLF light theme looks good on desktop but the banner doesn't scale to mobile. I tend to gravitate to darker skins as they're easy on the eyes but the lighter ones are a bit more nostalgic.

There's quite a lot of colour choice so could maybe look at the branding and image assets (e.g. speech bubble icons on the forums) for personalising the place a bit more.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
The OLF light theme looks good on desktop but the banner doesn't scale to mobile.
Unfortunately, that's the tradeoff with using big banners in this day and age lol. However, some of our skins do have mobile-friendly simple text banners, like OLF Dark, but since we're 5deep into the mobile age, big banners are becoming something of the past that will hurt your site's reputation due to the time it takes to load the actual image.

I tend to gravitate to darker skins as they're easy on the eyes but the lighter ones are a bit more nostalgic.
The good news is that in the next XenForo version, native dark mode support is coming as well as some other goodies related to theme/skin/style customization, so I'm definitely looking forward to messing with those new features!

There's quite a lot of colour choice so could maybe look at the branding and image assets (e.g. speech bubble icons on the forums) for personalising the place a bit more.
Most definitely, but unfortunately, we haven't found a GFX artist that could help us achieve such a feat. I am, however, leaning towards hiring someone professionally to help us with the branding and whatnot, so if you have anyone in mind, please feel free to swing them our way!

that was fast. thank you @Ral !
Anytime bud :catfeels

Back