The Artist's Loft

Cubey

The Formality
Has anyone noticed that red is like a fundamental color and goes with almost every major color in order to form a theme?

Red and blue
Red and black
Red and gold

Only theme I can’t really solve is white and red but even that has been a constant in many works (the northerners in asoiaf, Dante’s coat and hair in dmc, archer’s outfit and hair in fate, Ragna’s coat and hair in blazblue, nagato’s hair turning white from red in Naruto, etc)

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
red and purple can be hard to pull off

i think red is used with so many other colors because it's pretty bold and overpowering. its very gaudy a lot of the time imo

Cubey

The Formality
red and purple can be hard to pull off

i think red is used with so many other colors because it's pretty bold and overpowering. its very gaudy a lot of the time imo

I’m glad you brought up purple, meant to point something out:

Red has a special association with green (traffic lights, avada kedavra/expelliarmus, caliborn/calliope from homestuck, etc) and that’s cause green is the rejection of red - it is made up of blue and yellow, the two primary colors adjacent to red.

This is contrapositive to purple and orange. Purple: red and blue. Orange: red and yellow.

Which means red can only combine with purple if it also combines with orange :hm

Since white only has synergy with black, and red has synergy with all colors except secondaries, one could say that black brings out the purest tone of all the primary colors. In contrast white, because it is the source of all colors, represents the three color combinations because they create a hue closer to the origin.

Back