What are some things that you thought were boring or that you wouldn't like, that you ended up liking?

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
For me it was Old Man and The Sea, for those who forgot 10th grade English class its a book about a fisherman named Santiago trying to catch this giant fish.

When I first heard that we were going to be reading it I thought it was just rip off Moby Dick and it would be boring but I ended up marathoning it while my classmates were still on the third page.

Idk why I ended up liking the book but something about Santiago and the atmosphere the writing gave hooked me in.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Rosario + Vampire - I don't like Harem manga in general and probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near it, had my Cousin (who generally likes the same sorts of shows as me) recommended it to me. She was also the one who told me the manga was very different from the anime, so I switched to that when I didn't like the anime and I haven't looked back ever since.

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds - Because card games on motorcycles seemed too goofy to me. Eventually though I gave it a chance, got hooked five episodes in and binged the first couple seasons in a couple days. There's also ZEXAL to a lesser extent, but 5Ds and "something else" had already taught me not to pay attention to the hate and to make up my own mind about it. :maybe

Digimon Savers - Meet the something else. Hearing about the goofiness of the main character punching Digimon put me off watching it. Eventually though, I bit the bullet and thank God I did because Savers was fucking awesome. Easily the 2nd best season of the show, ONLY beaten by Tamers.

One and Only

Illustrious
For me it was Old Man and The Sea, for those who forgot 10th grade English class its a book about a fisherman named Santiago trying to catch this giant fish.

When I first heard that we were going to be reading it I thought it was just rip off Moby Dick and it would be boring but I ended up marathoning it while my classmates were still on the third page.

Idk why I ended up liking the book but something about Santiago and the atmosphere the writing gave hooked me in.

This stuff exactly. When I first read Old Man and The Sea I only read like five pages before dropping it later. A few months later, I remember being extremely bored before reading and... I couldn't stop untill I finished.

I can barely remember but I know it was a lovely book. Some points there really stuck with me like the man monologuing how Old men barely slept and when they did they dreamt of the past while the youth fantasized about the future. It was also from the book I learnt about the existence of flying fishes.

GregSteve

Bakugou died for your lmao's
V.I.P. Member
Rosario + Vampire - I don't like Harem manga in general and probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near it, had my Cousin (who generally likes the same sorts of shows as me) recommended it to me. She was also the one who told me the manga was very different from the anime, so I switched to that when I didn't like the anime and I haven't looked back ever since.

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds - Because card games on motorcycles seemed too goofy to me. Eventually though I gave it a chance, got hooked five episodes in and binged the first couple seasons in a couple days. There's also ZEXAL to a lesser extent, but 5Ds and "something else" had already taught me not to pay attention to the hate and to make up my own mind about it. :maybe

Digimon Savers - Meet the something else. Hearing about the goofiness of the main character punching Digimon put me off watching it. Eventually though, I bit the bullet and thank God I did because Savers was fucking awesome. Easily the 2nd best season of the show, ONLY beaten by Tamers.
Straight up thought 5Ds looked and sounded retarded when explained to me then I watched it and my God was it anything but that Jack Atlas my boi

E

Example

Unconfirmed
Any type of generic saturday morning anime, but especially Beyblade.

The english dub and the soundtrack made the series corny asf but after watching the sub, it was an alright series about competition between spinning tops

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I bought Darling in the Franxx for a laugh and ended up getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of it (the ending still sucked though).

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Space Dandy was a series I went in expecting to get only mild entertainment from at most, ended up being one of my favorite anime series :wow

Back