What are you currently reading now?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Bro, this section has been here for two days and not even one thread yet lmao.

So who's reading IRL books or PDF's right now? Discuss your current read!

I'll go first:

Really good book on Philosophy; they have other books covering other subjects like Sociology and whatnot and include a ton of pictures so my big brain can activate full bankai.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
I'm reading the recently released final book in Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness trilogy: The Wisdom of Crowds.

I also listen to audiobooks and I just finished Terminus by Peter Clines and I'm already just about done with A Study in Scarlet (I've never tried Holmes in writing before).

Reactions: Ral

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
I'm reading the recently released final book in Joe Abercrombie's Age of Madness trilogy: The Wisdom of Crowds.

I also listen to audiobooks and I just finished Terminus by Peter Clines and I'm already just about done with A Study in Scarlet (I've never tried Holmes in writing before).
I finished Wisdom of Crowds recently. Whereabouts are you up to?

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
He lacks Glokta's crotchety humor, but he did show his vicious side in burning all of those Burners.
Yeah, Orso said it best, I think: Leo is a man with absolutely no sense of humour.

As far as viciousness goes—he definitely does become very ruthless in this book. However, cold-blooded opportunism is no substitute for actual intellect and he still lacks Glokta's incredible patience. At your point in the book, Leo has still operated in much the same way as he always did before (aggressive, egotistical power-grabbing justified with Ferro-level mental gymnastics), only with words and politics instead of swords and warfare.

It does make me wonder how Glokta would've handled all this, though. And what kind of internal commentary he might've had for the Breakers' posturing and the Burners' violent insanity.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Yeah, Orso said it best, I think: Leo is a man with absolutely no sense of humour.

As far as viciousness goes—he definitely does become very ruthless in this book. However, cold-blooded opportunism is no substitute for actual intellect and he still lacks Glokta's incredible patience. At your point in the book, Leo has still operated in much the same way as he always did before (aggressive, egotistical power-grabbing justified with Ferro-level mental gymnastics), only with words and politics instead of swords and warfare.

It does make me wonder how Glokta would've handled all this, though. And what kind of internal commentary he might've had for the Breakers' posturing and the Burners' violent insanity.
That's certainly true, but there's only so much someone can change in a few months no matter how traumatic those months are. Glokta had years. Then again it's a pretty huge theme of Abercrombie's that while people can change for the better, they're just as likely to end up as nearly the same person as before. It's a hard truth that most people don't like to consider and it's a tough pill to swallow for characters like Jezal.

Von Gos

Shut Up, Island
That's certainly true, but there's only so much someone can change in a few months no matter how traumatic those months are. Glokta had years. Then again it's a pretty huge theme of Abercrombie's that while people can change for the better, they're just as likely to end up as nearly the same person as before. It's a hard truth that most people don't like to consider and it's a tough pill to swallow for characters like Jezal.
Agreed.

Drop a post here when you've finished the book. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Agreed.

Drop a post here when you've finished the book. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
I'm a good deal farther now, but I'm not done yet. I'll be done after tomorrow. I'm up to Orso and co being on a boat about to run into an interception.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Just finished Dresden Files: Turn Coat and am about to read Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files as soon as I get a physical copy of the book.

Dragon D. Luffy

Illustrious
I don't read a lot these days but I just finished the Thorn Trilogy (aka Broken Empire Trilogy).

Imma copypaste the review I posted in another forum:

The premise is similar to A Song of Ice and Fire. A hundred kings are fighting to decide who will sit on a certain special throne, and they have to figure out and unite the empire before a certain undead threat arrives and destroys the world. The protagonist, Jorg Ancrath, is a child who watched his mother and little brother be killed as a result of that dispute between kings, and after learning that his father will do nothing about it, he runs away and joins a band of thieves. Over the years, he becomes their leader, and eventually comes back to get his revenge and make his own moves at the empire game. He is far from being a hero and he knows it, but he is extremely resourceful and pragamatic, tends to find the most unique solutions to problems (usually some bloody variation of cutting the gordian knot), so he may be just what the empire needs to stop the incoming undead threat.

It's very good. Particularly the last 2 books. First one is mostly good too, but it is a little harder to get into because the protagonist is a complete sociopath (in the first 50 pages, he kills multiple innocent people and rapes someone, so that can be an entry barrier for some people). But if you can get through knowing you don't have to root for the guy, plot stuff will eventually happen and he will start developing, so he will become more of an anti-hero as the story goes, which is represented by how the cover of each book has a lighter color than the previous one (but never fully white). The story tests the absolute limits on whether it's possible to redeem someone, and the way it ultimately resolves it is... unique, to say at least.

It also uses anachronic storytelling order, which is something I love. Each book has 2 or 3 narrative lines that are usually happening at different points of the timeline, and the stuff happening in the present makes more sense as you learn what happened a few years ago. There is one trip that takes the entirety of Book 2 and 3, while the other half of each book is influenced in the future by the things that happened during that trip. Each book has at least one huge plot twist that explodes near the end of the book as you learn what happened in the past, and changes your whole perspective.

Bottomline is, not a series for people who are sensitive to gore/violence/rape (though the last one doesn't tend to be graphic) or require their narrator to have at least some semblance of humanity (at least in the first book), but after reading, I have to admit it is a very good series. It also fulfills that craving some of you may have for an actual, quality ending to a story similar to ASoIaF which doesn't extend endlessly or split in too many characters (Jorg is usually good at ensuring superfluous chartacters don't stay around, for that matter).

Back