What is your favorite and least favorite programming language?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Developers and "coders" tend to sway in all directions when they first try to grasp basic concepts of software development and later on lean into a love/hate relationship with particular languages. Which programming languages do you fancy? Which ones do you despise as much as Sasuke despised Itachi?

Me personally? I've always loved PHP, though a server-side scripting language, it was the first code-driven language I laid eyes on since running Vbulletin forums back in the day.

On the other-hand, I absolutely despise Java, even though Kotlin seems to make the experience much better ever since JetBrains dropped us with this glorious gift.

Baka

Byronic Hero
GFX Designer
good - python
fine - C, C++, Java, SQL
bad - fortran, prolog
omg kys - MATLAB, R

Reactions: Ral
I really like the idea of Rust, even if my brain is too smooth to really grasp the borrow checker feature.

Python is fun too, even if it's slow as hell due to being an interpreted language.

Worst

I really like Javascript(Typescript) ( yea i know it's an hell for many, for me as well but it's my hell and i love it :catcry )

I've been working as a front end developer for a couple of years, and now i'm looking to learn some more backend as well ( i'm really interested in NOSQL ) it's actually my new year's resolution.

I tried a couple of languages/frameworks last year and did a bunch of projects for fun

kotlin, python , php, c# ,nodejs

i really liked php ( with laravel ), it just feels so easy to get started with , C# + Netcore is also a very good combo, it's a very nice ecosystem.

( i'll still end up using nodejs though :catsob )

I've been also wandering in the mobile world , i really like Flutter / Dart, Dart is very simple it feels like an better version of typescript , i had a lot of fun with it and will probably push to learn it some more as well :)

If there is one that i really hate it has to be Visual Basic :catgun

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I really like Javascript(Typescript) ( yea i know it's an hell for many, for me as well but it's my hell and i love it :catcry )

I've been working as a front end developer for a couple of years, and now i'm looking to learn some more backend as well ( i'm really interested in NOSQL ) it's actually my new year's resolution.

I tried a couple of languages/frameworks last year and did a bunch of projects for fun

i really liked php ( with laravel ), it just feels so easy to get started with , C# + Netcore is also a very good combo, it's a very nice ecosystem.

I've been also wandering in the mobile world , i really like Flutter / Dart, Dart is very simple it feels like an better version of typescript , i had a lot of fun with it and will probably push to learn it some more as well :)

TypeScript really changed the game, like I thought JS was chaotic and unorganized af even ECMA started pushing new proposals, but types issues has always been a thorn in all front end developers asses :blobcry

I assume for NoSQL you're looking into the ever popular MongoDB?

Laravel is blessed and Flarum, a forum software I used to QA for, used to be fully based on it before they started to slowly remove a bunch of Illuminate dependencies in favor of a more controllable dependency system.

Fireship over on YouTube got me into Flutter/Dart and I had planned to recreate all of my crap college projects in other languages/frameworks if I ever get the chance to this year.

What I think really helped me learn Java was the sheer annoyance of even understanding memory management to begin with, but PHP will always be my first language (a la Vbulletin days of confusion)

Got a GitHub profile? Feel free to follow me if you'd like :>

Most of my projects are private as I'm not comfortable with them enough to release into the wild to showcase.

Also, down with VB! :catgun

Worst

I assume for NoSQL you're looking into the ever popular MongoDB?
I've tried MongoDB and i really really liked it, but i prefer postgres, i don't feel like jsonb has much to envy, and i can easily combine both so can practice sql and nosql at the same time ( ofc i'd abuse nosql most of the time xD )

What I think really helped me learn Java was the sheer annoyance of even understanding memory management to begin with, but PHP will always be my first language (a la Vbulletin days of confusion)

I tried java as well for the backend, but i felt like i had to write an essay for everything xD, i kinda liked kotlin, like definetly an easier syntax to grasp especially when i tried spring boot i literally had to write 80% less code on some things compared to java ( at least on a basic level ), but i saw the community was still divided cuz java was starting to incorporate some of the " syntactic sugar " of kotlin so there is this debate that java might take the best of kotlin in a couple of years and no one will use it anymore so i didn't felt like jumping into it , would have probably liked it more than C# + netcore as a combo if it wasn't for this uncertainty

I'm also interested in what will Webassembly will bring on the table, i tried Blazor and it really feels fascinating to write c# client side ( even if it's just interoping javascript under the hood lol )

MrBopo

Paramount

Visual basic was made to teach children programming its not a proper language :catskully

Zetta

Hyper Weapon
Fullstack Java Enterprise chad here so my stack is mostly Java and TypeScript.

I also know Python, C# and I should be learning Kotlin sometime soonish.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Fullstack Java Enterprise chad here so my stack is mostly Java and TypeScript.

I also know Python, C# and I should be learning Kotlin sometime soonish.
Def a chad; I graduated with a bachelors in Software Development and mostly learned Java concepts in college (I attended WGU). Build a few apps, nothing to fancy using JavaFX (🤢) and more recently interested in the HTML5 family. I used to do QA for a FOSS forum platform called "Flarum" and developed a few extensions, but most of my interest now is in Xenforo 2 development. By chance, do you have any experience with PHP?

Zetta

Hyper Weapon
Honestly, few people I know in the industry still use PHP. Internally, we only use it to handle some Drupal sites that we need to deprecate at some point.

I'm working on a computer science degree with a focus on development. Started with Java, HTML/CSS/JS in first year.
Second year is TS with a frontend framework (Angular and React), Python with some datascience libraries, Java Enterprise with Beans and Spring, C# with .NET Core and ASP.net. Last year we do mobile dev with Kotlin for Android and Swift for Apple.

My stack is pretty wide.

• Wow

Zetta

Hyper Weapon
Honestly, as long as the language has strong typing I don't mind it. More and more languages are starting to look the same barring shit like Rust.

I however loathe weak typed languages. TS has done a lot to salvage JS but it's still pretty common to look at concepts and be like: why did you do this?

I still hate the concept of truthy and falsy for instance.

Back