Movies What movie did you watch today?

RÆM

Distinguished
Dune (2021) Ah that ending. Ended on a good note, was getting into it and wanted to see the next parts.

I've read the first book and familiar with the overall arching story so no surprises there. I liked how this was handled compared to the mess that is the David Lynch version.

I enjoyed the hand to hand combat.

RÆM

Distinguished
@Planidium

Dressing the Harkonnens

From the outset, Villeneuve and costume designer Jacqueline West wanted to present the Harkonnens with an insect-like appearance. “I love insects and I wanted the Harkonnens’ design to be very insectoid,” says Villeneuve. “They are invaders and colonizers, so we really focused on this idea that they are like predators.”

“Insects have textures so I used a lot of molded black leather with insect designs carved into the leather,” says West. “The references were from scorpions, spiders and ants. Both the Baron and Rabban have this almost ant-head-like helmet.”

There's more about the insect design
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-10-22/dune-harkonnen-design-denis-villeneuve

@Planidium

Dressing the Harkonnens

From the outset, Villeneuve and costume designer Jacqueline West wanted to present the Harkonnens with an insect-like appearance. “I love insects and I wanted the Harkonnens’ design to be very insectoid,” says Villeneuve. “They are invaders and colonizers, so we really focused on this idea that they are like predators.”

“Insects have textures so I used a lot of molded black leather with insect designs carved into the leather,” says West. “The references were from scorpions, spiders and ants. Both the Baron and Rabban have this almost ant-head-like helmet.”

There's more about the insect design
Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainme...-10-22/dune-harkonnen-design-denis-villeneuve
Mah man here knows what gets me going! This is invaluable info for me especially since I created a new blog just to analyse fictional insects and the influence of real life arthropods on human fiction and culture!

Still France and Japan have the same level of appreciation towards insects, I would add England too but there are certain modern reasons as to why they basically turned away from the natural world. France produced some iconic and very important entomologists and authors who fully embraced the micro world. I like to point out how a single book, Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber, influenced a whole generation to the point it became a mandatory read in many universities. Up until recently I was sure France is still pretty entomology-friendly however one of my newest best friends who is in that field professionally shattered my understandings... To study entomology in France right now is close to impossible, which for me is harder to comprehend than anything else... As a kid I always wanted to go to either the UK, France or Japan just so I can dive into any field even remotely connected to entomology but it seems Japan remains the only modern country that still spends and focuses on this.

As for the director using insectile traits and feel, yeah it makes sense, it certainly flew over my head no doubt there but sci-fi and insects have always had an interesting relationship when it comes to designs and overall feel. Glad to see this director isn't afraid to go all out!

Also I just realised...

This technically makes the Baron more like their Queen Mother :skully

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Giving Juno a shot cause it's the only Michael Cera movie I haven't seen yet, even though Elliot (Ellen) Page is pretty much the main character with the most screen time so far in this movie.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i watched juno one too many times in school lmao

from what i remember, michael cera's character is not really the focus.

last night i rewatched alien with some friends. i'm still blown away by how amazing the set design is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ral

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Dune. In an actual cinema! Haven't been to a cinema in years.

It was pretty good. Great music, great setpieces. Good action too, though the pace was slow. Refreshing in a lot of ways - I've got used to geek-culture-adjacent properties like sci-fi losing themselves in insistently teenage, quippy writing, so it was nice and kind of surprising to see a film like this embrace its gravitas. There's no shame in wanting to see something that's just loud fun when you sit down to watch a movie, but if that's what you're looking for, I don't know if Dune will be your sort of thing.

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
Dune again. The Lynch version this time, because I haven't seen it in twenty years and wanted to compare it to the new one. I remembered almost nothing about it, but I've been hearing my whole life that it's terrible.

Wow, it is.

I should read the books.

Back