Why Typhlosion Is Actually Better Than Charizard

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
1. It has the same stat distribution as Charizard, but is a pure Fire Type with no Flying Type handicap, especially against Stealth Rock.

2. It has a better movepool. For example, it can learn Thunderpunch, and not just SolarBeam, which can be countered more easily.

Those two reasons are enough for me personally. Do you agree or disagree?

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
This applies only to gen 2 and 3.
After the split Thunderpunch is useless.

Char was meh in gen 4 and 5 but Typhlosion was sadly worse.

Gen 6 Char got two broken megas so Ty definitely stands no chance then.

Then the lastest gens have heavy duty boots which invalidates stealth rock.

So they're both pretty bad competitively but Ty lost its edge thanks to the split and now sharing the stat distribution is a detriment rather than a perk.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
While I'm quite fond of Typhlosion's design, Charizard has always been superior to me.

They're both good in the anime too but the sad fact is Cyndaquil basically copied Charmander's storyline to start with (a trend that would sadly continue with Ash's fire type starters), so he's always going to seem like kind of a discount version to start with.

Cyndaquil did have kind of an underdog aspect to him later, which Charizard obviously lacks given he is and always has been a power-house. But I'd still say i prefer Charizard overall.

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
This applies only to gen 2 and 3.
After the split Thunderpunch is useless.

Char was meh in gen 4 and 5 but Typhlosion was sadly worse.

Gen 6 Char got two broken megas so Ty definitely stands no chance then.

Then the lastest gens have heavy duty boots which invalidates stealth rock.

So they're both pretty bad competitively but Ty lost its edge thanks to the split and now sharing the stat distribution is a detriment rather than a perk.
Generation 3 > Generation 2 > Generation 4 > Generation 5 > Generation 1 > Generation 6 > Generation 7 > Generation 8

As both games themselves, and in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Maddie

Acclaimed
I like Gen VI at least in terms of presentation and ideas. Kalos is my 2nd or 3rd favorite region to Unova and Hoenn. Route 15 is one of the few non-hoenn themes I remember clearly.

Ultra

THE BEAR
Advisor
Oh man a pokemon thread

Generation 3 > Generation 2 > Generation 4 > Generation 5 > Generation 1 > Generation 6 > Generation 7 > Generation 8

As both games themselves, and in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Not a bad list

Though I think Diamond and Pearl are unironically some of the most atrocious mainline games to date, even compared to the newer drivel. Battles, surfing, even pulling up menus was obnoxiously slow, and the selection was also questionable, what with only being able to catch one fire pokemon line besides your starter and then adding an elite four member who specializes in fire...don't know what the fuck they were thinking there. Platinum salvaged things a bit and HG/SS were great though.

Maddie

Acclaimed
I can't really rank games beyond Emerald, BW2, and ORAS being clear-cut favorites. So will just say my opinions on each. I also think you will get a vibe of what my favorite typings are in the games lol

Gen 1: Nostalgia sure and I love the Pokemon tower and Lavander Town themes, but overall buggy messes with godawful spritework to boot. Only Pokemon I truly love is the Gengar line and I guess Mewtwo. Blastoise is cool too I guess.

Gen 2: While I have a lot of nostalgia for them, I must say I find them overrated. they have unironically some of the best Pokemon spritework in the series, being way more dynamic and imposing than how Gen III does sprites. Also fighting Red is awesome. A lot of memorable tracks too. Beyond that? Not much of a fan of most Pokemon they add, progression in the game is very forgettable to me, and I just don't get why they are so beloved. Ho-Oh, Lugia, and the Dogs also don't particularly catch the eye for me. Standouts for me are Murkrow, Tyrannitar, Skarmory, Xatu, and Espeon/Umbreon

Gen 3: Favorite soundtrack, most tracks are still ingrained in my mind. Too many Pokemon designs to count that I love, lemme think: Sceptile, Gardevoir, Sharpedo, Claydol, Duscops, Metagross, Absol, Groudon, Rayquaza, and Deoxys are all awesome. I find the routes memorable with many interconnections and hidden areas. Secret bases. Fun postgame in Emerald (My favorite Pokemon game aside for maybe ORAS or BW2), introduced the hex maniac and her original design was still cute. Not much to say for FRLG just don't like Gen 1. Oh yeah has my favorite opening, I Wanna Be a Hero

Gen IV: Never got to enjoy them though I have a copy of Diamond (Aiming for Platinum). Can't say much on them beyond Pokemon I like: Spiritomb, Honchcrow, Froslass, Dusknoir, Palkia, Giratina, and of course Arceus. I used to like Darkrai but now hate him but that's for personal reasons nothing on Darkrai he's awesome.

Gen V: When they first came out I hate them as too many of the designs were just weird and off-putting and I wasn't a fan of the anime. I also thought the graphics looked ugly. Over the years my opinions have flipped. On an objective level, the only thing BW2 is missing is fairy type, otherwise this is peak Pokemon. The graphics are amazing, the absolute pinnacle for Pokemon with beautifully animated sprites and breathtaking setpieces. The most memorable and unique gyms in the series with their own unique soundtracks. Speaking of unique soundtracks, the music in these games are superb, some even becoming memes due to how memorable and catchy they are. As for Pokemon I like? Samurott, Beheeyem, Gothitelle, Chandellure, Sigilith, Golurk, Zekrom, and Kyurem. If not for nostalgia goggles making me love Emerald the most, I'd argue BW2 are objectively the best of the 2D games

Will do Gen VI-VIII later

Last edited:

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I'm still working on rating the Pokedex of each gen. Besides 8.

Objectively, Gen 2 has a trash dex but I like what little is good and Johto's traditional setting is something I dig.

I don't like Hoenn's tropical jungle feel and I actually hate the trumpets. Hoenn feels like if your Pokemon game took place in one big Safari Zone.

Gen 4 I did like the new Pokes. Sinnoh was nice but too many hms needed.

I tried to get through gen 5 a second time but I DESPISE so much of the dex. Yeah it has a good story relative to previous entries. So what? The region is dull and dingy, and when they have bad Pokemon designs they're some of the most hideous, unappealing, grotesque pieces of shit. The starters are also easily the most boring I've ever seen.

Gen 6, sorry not sorry. Exp share getting rid of the tedious grind is a GOOD thing. Pokemon has relied on difficulty being related to if you play correctly, 6 underlevelled mons. Or play the logical way, train one and sweep the shit out of everything.
It's never truly been difficult and I'm glad I can skip the tedious grind. Leveling isn't rewarding until you evolve or gain several levels.

Gen 7 is utter trash. Zero challenge, totally hand held. Some cook Pokes but otherwise no.

I won't even talk about Gen 8. GF makes obscene money and yet won't hire enough team to properly animate and maintain their large dex. Fuck them.

Back