Fate/Grand Order: Fujimaru Ritsuka wa Wakarani

What I am considering:
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - The Northern War​

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Thoughts quickly summerized so far:

- opening episodes for Vinland Saga season 2, Maou Gakuin season 2, and NieR Automata 1a.1 were pretty good
- NieR's animation wise could've been better but as usual Sony offloads this stuff onto their inhouse team with Studio A-1
- quiet enjoyed Vinland Saga's s2 set up to kick off "Farmland" Saga
- Maou Gakuin S2 is doing fine as well

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Somehow I'm breaking my record again for most anime in a season...I'm apparently keeping up with over 50 now. It's fine most days, but those fucking Saturdays man. Watching 13 eps minimum on one day every week just feels like a lot.

Nier is actually one of the few ones I've skipped on because I plan on tackling the game some time soon.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Fair enough

The NieR anime is almost a straight adaption of the game thus far with some extra stuff added that Taro wanted to flesh out some of the side characters and particularly the human resistance

MusubiKazesaru

Illustrious
Super Moderator
Fair enough

The NieR anime is almost a straight adaption of the game thus far with some extra stuff added that Taro wanted to flesh out some of the side characters and particularly the human resistance
As far as game adaptions that's usually the best course, though I've seen some mildly creative solutions in the case of VN adaptions or games that are similar where they play around with the format or protagonist to make things more interesting within natural boundaries. Game adaptions in general are fraught with problems and even visual novels which seem like they'd be easier pretty much always have pacing to be concerned about.

What I find crazy is that they've already delayed it for "Covid reasons" after a mere 3 episodes. This is despite the aggressive preview campaign they've been doing with that particular anime. It just seems kind of ridiculous to me, much like Golden Kamuy S4 getting its second half delayed because of a particular death. It's terrible of course and maybe that key person causes some delay, but isn't that sort of production too fragile? Isekai Ojisan is another case where the series stopped airing for about 2-3 months before starting again and then they delayed the last episode after that.

I guess that's just how the industry is now. There's so many anime being made that Japan can't keep up with it so they outsource more and more and with more and more people being involved there's more likely that those animators and staff will end up unreliable whether they wish to be or not. There's no perfect solution either.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
As far as game adaptions that's usually the best course, though I've seen some mildly creative solutions in the case of VN adaptions or games that are similar where they play around with the format or protagonist to make things more interesting within natural boundaries. Game adaptions in general are fraught with problems and even visual novels which seem like they'd be easier pretty much always have pacing to be concerned about.

What I find crazy is that they've already delayed it for "Covid reasons" after a mere 3 episodes. This is despite the aggressive preview campaign they've been doing with that particular anime. It just seems kind of ridiculous to me, much like Golden Kamuy S4 getting its second half delayed because of a particular death. It's terrible of course and maybe that key person causes some delay, but isn't that sort of production too fragile? Isekai Ojisan is another case where the series stopped airing for about 2-3 months before starting again and then they delayed the last episode after that.

I guess that's just how the industry is now. There's so many anime being made that Japan can't keep up with it so they outsource more and more and with more and more people being involved there's more likely that those animators and staff will end up unreliable whether they wish to be or not. There's no perfect solution either.
This is true.

But I also know many people who do not like straight adaptions of games to anime. Even movie format which allows a bit more freedom with higher budget and less constraints for the format don't always go that way. Look at the original Persona 3 movies that came after that weird sequel, Persona 3: Trinity Souls, very odd production. Then you had the comparatively much better if slightly altered Persona 4 Animation and Persona 4 Golden Animation which did much better and were better liked because the director added a twist with the established personality of the player character being the main-character.

Anyway I don't know how the Nier Automata anime could have the excuse of Covid delaying or altering or otherwise impacting the production because I really doubt it entered into production in late 2019 or early 2020 but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

Ratchet

Resplendent
Advisor
The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki - The Northern War
This has been my favourite anime of the season from what I've watched so far, but it is one of those that you need to have played the games to get much out of. It's an anime purely for fans of them, right down to how it's paced, and the little cameos we see of important characters.

At a minimum, Sen no Kiseki (Cold Steel) 1 & 2 are required, and arguably for those two games you need Trails in the Sky 1-3 and both Crossbell games, so it's a heavy investment and thus hard to reccomend to anyone. If you've played and enjoyed the games though, then it's pretty neat.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
This has been my favourite anime of the season from what I've watched so far, but it is one of those that you need to have played the games to get much out of. It's an anime purely for fans of them, right down to how it's paced, and the little cameos we see of important characters.

At a minimum, Sen no Kiseki (Cold Steel) 1 & 2 are required, and arguably for those two games you need Trails in the Sky 1-3 and both Crossbell games, so it's a heavy investment and thus hard to reccomend to anyone. If you've played and enjoyed the games though, then it's pretty neat.
I have not actually watched it.

NieR: Automata's anime is on delayed production due to Covid-19 affecting the staff and set to hiatus currently.
Maou Gakuein season 2 is something I'm enjoying a lot this season. Same with Vinland Saga 2 and the 4koma style/FGO spin-off gag anime.

Mashiro Blue

Illustrious
I'm watching this season the following:

The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
The Misfit of Demon King Academy S2
Tomo-chan is a Girl
Danmachi S4 Part 2
Kubo won't let me be Invisible
The Magical Revolution of Reincarnated Princess and Genius Young Lady

Although Danmachi and Magical Revolution already finished

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
I'm watching:

Nier Automata
Vinland Saga season 2
Maou Gakuin season 2 (which is also been delayed a couple weeks recently due to Covid just like before with Nier)

Backlog:

Gaikotsu no Kishi-sama

Rej

Preeminent
After watching most anime of this season, I am pretty confident to say that, Boku to Roboko is anime of the season, atleast for those who read the Roboko manga.

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
It's a masterpiece of a shitpile. The manga is much much better tho. This anime is hella trash and each minute you will be questioning your existence.
Glad I didn't bother with the anime then.

A few years ago I would average 6-8 shows a season and that's NOT counting shows I would drop after the 3 episode rule went into effect but between working 2 jobs, working out, and other stuff, I just whittled myself down to being content with 3-4 shows max not counting whatever current show is also from my backlog list to knock off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back