WS Community

Poyser

Hi guys,

With the few things being talked about in other threads, I thought it would be prudent to make a thread to explain a little bit about us as a community, and how we tend to do things. Firstly, we take things pretty seriously. I don't mean we're boring because we're not! But in terms of the game itself, we do take it seriously and are generally full of very competitive personalities. Our games can get pretty heated during, but we are also pretty good for keeping it in game and completely dropping it afterwards. We all get on well outside of games and understand that what happens on the battlefield stays there.

Rankings

We do like to employ a rankings system (resetting on a yearly basis) and will look to do so again here, but if you want to opt-out of being included in the table at all then that's completely fine. Below is the link to the spreadsheet I created, which I try (emphasis on try) to update after each game. Feel free to take a look to get a feel for how we handle it. You can also look at this for things like your overall win rate, and win rate as each alignment. I've currently kept the last year's data in there so you can get a feel for it in action:

The point system is counted as follows:

+3 for Victory
+1 for Tie
+1 for Awards
+1 for Hosting

The term "awards" accounts for MVPs and honourable mentions (HMs). Each game as standard, we ask the host to award 1 MVP and give out 2 HMs. The host is free to only give out 1 or 0 HMs if they don't feel like these awards were earned, but no more than 2. We used to have MVPs counting for 2 points rather than 1, but this caused more trouble than it was worth! Especially with awards generally being so subjective, and decided by a lone person. So we felt a flat 1 point for an award is the most fair way to do it.

Should there be ties in the rankings, the following tiebreak rules are applied:

1st Tiebreak - Points Per Game (Worth noting that points for hosting are not counted towards this)
2nd Tiebreak - Total MVPs
3rd Tiebreak - Total HMs
4th Tiebreak - Total Victories

Hosting

After some issues in the past, we decided on running with a system whereby we count games as either RANKED or UNRANKED based on a certain set of criteria. This is mostly to keep all aspects of the community catered to. For players that take things seriously, we don't want to cause frustration at them putting lots of effort into a game that ended up being wildly unbalanced or perhaps even bastard, and thus have this game reflected in the rankings. That said, we also want anybody to be able to give hosting a go if they'd like, and also want to allow for more crazy and silly (or perhaps testing grounds for mechanics you might later wish to use in ranked games) games.

Now, this will probably need a bit of thinking of how to move forward. The way we did it is we compiled an "Approved Hosts" list. This list was filled with people that had experience, and a history of putting together games that have been received well by the community. The criteria for having a ranked game would be that the game was either created by somebody on this list, or had been checked over and approved by somebody on this list (with them providing tweaks in order to better balance it if needed). Of course, with this being a coming together of 2 communities and us being unfamiliar with each other, this might not be the best way to start off. I am open to suggestions on how best to implement this system going forward.

As a more general rule, here are some stuff that tends to be reacted negatively to or considered bastard in our standard:

- Lynchproof roles
- Roles that punish town for doing their jobs correctly (scum having vengeful perks where they can choose anyone on their wagon to kill, scum PGOs etc)
- Unlimited redirectors for mafia
- Roles that are created to simply misdirect town (such as roles that make up phony results with no logic behind them)
- Cops that are off sanity that do not get revealed upon death
- Things that are just generally impossible to account for as town (its hard to think of generic examples, but plucked from a real game: some dude had the town bodyguard get killed at night, and instantly resurrect as a second serial killer without us being aware of the death in the first place.... Though apparently the host did post GIFS in the day write up to give us hints lmao)
- Roles like bulletproofs or commuters being unlimited

I'm sure there are more stuff but its hard to think of them without seeing them in action. We are fine with hosts making bastard games, but they MUST be advertised as bastard in the sign up thread.

We tend to operate by majority lynch in general, with night posting, character claiming etc allowed... However we are fine with the host changing any of these standards as long as it is obviously explained in the sign up thread and again in the game OP. We do, in general, give the host autonomy over any of the standards. One thing I noticed that we do as standard that tends to completely deviate from everywhere else is flexible deadlines. Generally, we do not have phases start and end at set times. We have them be flexible. A hammer will end the day early for example. Also, assuming all night actions have been submitted, and everyone left alive has posted in the thread (if night posting is allowed) then we tend to end the night early rather than making it go to deadline. Obviously this becomes more pertinent as the game gets towards the end. The night phase before lylo etc has lasted less than an hour in the past.

Can't think of anything else you will need to know but please feel free to ask any questions, and of course everything here is open for feedback and improvement and debate etc and so forth!

One thing we do also need to discuss is how best to do out of game chats (namely mafia chat and dead chat). I know conversations is an option, but most don't really like this. We always used to use QuickTopic which is unfortunately dead. The options we have been considering of late are conversations, discord, or something that seems very similar to quicktopic that I've forgotten the name of! Discord seems the most well rounded option, but to be honest most of us dont really want an instant messenger service due to the simple fact that it encourages way more active/spammy chats. Mafia is a big enough time commitment as is! That said, we never really agreed on a solution so perhaps something we can discuss together. Our main ask is something that can easily be archived and then referred back to at a later date. Conversations are a bit of a pain in terms of having to add participants after the game, plus the potential for mafia to post in the wrong chat more easily etc.

Poyser

Oh and also rather than modkill inactive slots, we tend to try and replace them with people on the rep list or if there isn't anybody on there, previously dead people (though we try to avoid people that have been purposely killed by mafia). A modkill is a real last resort

Poyser

Last addendum... Mass claims happen in pretty much every game that we play, so we try to avoid completely hanging mafia out to dry with their claims. Some hosts will give them real roles that they deem can be claimed that aren't "scummy" roles in addition to their actual scummy roles, some hosts will provide the team with a small list of roles that are not already in the game and can therefore be claimed, and some hosts will just give each player a tailored fake claim they can use. We also make use of janitors etc, that mafia can try to use in order to get a real town role PM that one of them can use to claim. Ofc mafia can also get creative and come up with something by themselves but we dont tend to expect them to do this as standard

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
I'm sure there are more stuff but its hard to think of them without seeing them in action. We are fine with hosts making bastard games, but they MUST be advertised as bastard in the sign up thread.
I actually believe I thought this was a decent way to implement without restricting freedom for hosts that enjoy bastard mechanics, rather than prohibit it entirely.
Think I talked with Ratchet about this on WG? FV?

I do think that there should be someone like you advising hosts to correctly categorize what the game is like.

Some hosts may not be sure what they're adding to their game is a bastard mechanic (or fundamentally have different views to what constitutes as one) so I can definitely make prefixes for this very thing.
Gogeta's game on FV, for instance, was a partial bastard setup. Most hosts don't consider other's preferences toward certain games, so encouraging people to is a good start rather than handwaving concerns or gripes with a "my way or the high way" deal.
If a prefix isn't used appropriately, I'll ask the host to explain the mechanics more concretely to avoid someone that prefers a more stringent game onstead of making someone feel like they've been duped to participate in a game that's more lax with game results.

And I think the best way to get Mafia on OLF to stick out in particular is not only establish an identity and one culture surrounding it, but many.
I'd love to implement a "teaching experience" type Mafia game where the host and other vets play alongside a complete newb, explaining what's s being looked for, what the common methods are used to sniff out scum (or vice versa.)
An interactive sort of deal where there isn't pressure to perform, with mentors guiding them and maybe persuading them to play Mafia after they feel more comfortable to go to the main sign-up threads and participate. They can learn what their own scum hunting style is without feeling lost among established players, imo.
I wanted to do the same thing with art type contests, but I don't know if my attention span will allow me to do newbie/amateur contests to teach people the basics of drawing.
That's the issue with tutorials: you can give info all day long, but there's less pressure to keep on it and make learning certain things a habit (including Mafia). Whereas if you have a strong presence willing to guide someone and answer questions patiently, you have a higher chance of getting a larger amount of people to engage and truly learn and enjoy the process.

Like classes, but for free, and none of are getting paid because we hate ourselves.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Alright

Didnt expect the game to take a short break so I'll be working on skins, and we can decide what to name the prefixes today

Grammaton

Consigliere
I’ve previously offered to give coaching and feedback to players either after game or if setup permits, as an ingame hydra

id also very much like to contribute towards any beginner training materials etc if we go in that direction

mafia is a scary place sometimes, even for the initiated. Anything we can do to be more attractive to newcomers is a plus in my book

Poyser

Yeah, I am also more than happy to give feedback to anybody that wants to hit me up if needed. I tend to give people unsolicited feedback anyway tbh :hestonpls

And yeah we should deffo work on stuff like guides and glossaries of terms and roles. MU have a section that is dedicated to not only guides, but any kind of articles people want to write about mafia strategy. We could look at something like that. Sticky the official guides and let any user that wants to write articles about specific parts of gameplay.

Think we could probably locate our old guides on WF and see if they're still up to snuff or just need updating or if we should start from scratch altogether

Poyser

Oh also forgot to mention we like to do an end of year awards ceremony! Awards like

Best Overall Player
Best Town
Best Mafia
Best Individual Performance
Best Team Performance
Best Fake Claim

And then some banter "worst of" awards tho we can scrap them if we don't want to go down that black hole :hestonpls

RDK

Marvelous
Oh also forgot to mention we like to do an end of year awards ceremony! Awards like

Best Overall Player
Best Town
Best Mafia
Best Individual Performance
Best Team Performance
Best Fake Claim

And then some banter "worst of" awards tho we can scrap them if we don't want to go down that black hole :hestonpls
We can rename the Biggest Meltdown award the Juice memorial award

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Should there be ties in the rankings, the following tiebreak rules are applied:

1st Tiebreak - Points Per Game (Worth noting that points for hosting are not counted towards this)
2nd Tiebreak - Total MVPs
3rd Tiebreak - Total HMs
4th Tiebreak - Total Victories
HMs?

Poyser

I explained it in the larger post tho I forgive you for not reading it haha. They are honourable mentions. After the game we get the host to award MVP and 2 Honourable Mentions. They can award less or no HMs if they dont think they were earned, but no more than 2

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Yeah I can speed read through the stuff but that's all fine. We will have advisors, game hosts, and section moderators dole out the points/prizes for all those things once enough have been made. What I'm more keen is how the schedule and records are gonna be kept. Do we have unranked vs ranked games on the same queue? Or separate ones?

Poyser

Yeah I can speed read through the stuff but that's all fine. We will have advisors, game hosts, and section moderators dole out the points/prizes for all those things once enough have been made. What I'm more keen is how the schedule and records are gonna be kept. Do we have unranked vs ranked games on the same queue? Or separate ones?
Have them on the same queue for sure. We dont tend to run 2 games at the same time or anything, tho I know that some places do. I dont really like the idea of that tho?

We dont usually keep actual records (we did have a thread for hosts to post summaries of their games and the results but hardly anybody ever did it) but we also had a "mafia archive" sub section where we would put game threads after they're over

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Have them on the same queue for sure. We dont tend to run 2 games at the same time or anything, tho I know that some places do. I dont really like the idea of that tho?

We dont usually keep actual records (we did have a thread for hosts to post summaries of their games and the results but hardly anybody ever did it) but we also had a "mafia archive" sub section where we would put game threads after they're over
I actually think this is a good idea.

Past games can be archived for nostalgia/posterity's sake in a Mafia Section game archive. We could make a separate stickied thread of the start and end dates of past games, the host giving a summary and the results; who won, grand prize winner, HM(s), etc...especially being able to categorize this stuff with ranked vs unranked games. We could even add a new dimension of special perks or rewards for activity in playing games as well.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Fang-kun, what do you think about "hall of Fame" for certain memorable games that the community votes on?
If a consensus is reached, it goes in the HoF Mafia subsection.

Bit like the dumpster, but the qualifications will obviously differ.

RDK

Marvelous

I think 1 game at a time is fine so long as like you said, majority and flexible deadlines are used. 2 games might become necessary otherwise, so that people aren't sitting around for 3 weeks waiting for the next game once they die lol

Back