Feedback Discussing the Future of Badges on Our Forum

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello there, fellow OLF members!

As we prepare for the upcoming changes in future updates of the forum software we use, it is imperative that we remove any bloat that could potentially hinder us from accessing the latest and greatest updates and features. Badges were a feature added a long time ago, where I would manually award users with badges for various actions on the forum. Since then, we haven't been actively awarding users with badges, and at this point, it feels like dead weight given the direction our community is heading.

So, I ask you, fellow members of this community: Should we remove the badges feature, or should we keep it and find more frequent and creative ways to utilize it?

I will leave voting and suggestions open until next Friday, or until we have enough votes to justify the removal of this feature, at which point we will proceed with the closure of this thread. Polls cannot be added to this node type, so you can either use the up-vote or down-vote feature next to this post to cast your vote, and drop some feedback if you so choose to.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow is the day when I'll be removing the badge system, as I explained in my previous post. If anyone has any last-minute objections, please feel free to voice them now or forever hold your peace.

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow is the day when I'll be removing the badge system, as I explained in my previous post. If anyone has any last-minute objections, please feel free to voice them now or forever hold your peace.
Make a forum wide announcement for this and warn people of a time limit to your decision. I'll do it this time! Next thread you want engagement on, always utilize the announcement system.

If people don't respond (even through PMs), you can take it as a concession.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Make a forum wide announcement for this and warn people of a time limit to your decision. I'll do it this time! Next thread you want engagement on, always utilize the announcement system.

If people don't respond (even through PMs), you can take it as a concession.
I don't typically use mass alerts for announcements anymore because, by default, it sends notifications to every member, regardless of their user group. I will need to explore ways to improve mass notification sending and handling in the backend, as sending mass notifications can strain the system at any given time and make the forum feel sluggish for a while. While we can filter by user group, leaving the defaults on when sending notifications is recommended to reach a wider audience. I'm aware that forums like WG often send mass notifications for announcements, but I've also noticed in the past here that they are frequently ignored, much like most threads in the 'What's New' tab. This is mostly due to the fact that on a busy forum, notifications and threads are often overlooked. We do have the notice system if we want to direct users to threads like these, but its effectiveness can be hit or miss too.

Nevertheless, you are correct, your suggestion is definitely the recommended approach over sending mass notifications, so I will let the badge system live for another week omae wa
As someone who has a badge specifically made for them I would rather you not remove it.
For posterity and because it makes me feel special.
It's mostly the latter but I don't think that makes a compelling argument.
It sounds like we need a new Trophy to continue making you feel extra special here :blobtimistic

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
As someone who has a badge specifically made for them I would rather you not remove it.
For posterity and because it makes me feel special.
It's mostly the latter but I don't think that makes a compelling argument.
He never gave me a special badge

So I want all badges removed out of pettiness

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I need to feel special too @Ral ! :mhm
A72Fv2o.png

He never gave me a special badge

So I want all badges removed out of pettiness
cCynK3y.png

Don't you do this
85TgPzm.png

zdLx6CE.png

Emil

Average Diabellstar Witch Enjoyer
V.I.P. Member
Hello there, fellow OLF members!

As we prepare for the upcoming changes in future updates of the forum software we use, it is imperative that we remove any bloat that could potentially hinder us from accessing the latest and greatest updates and features. Badges were a feature added a long time ago, where I would manually award users with badges for various actions on the forum. Since then, we haven't been actively awarding users with badges, and at this point, it feels like dead weight given the direction our community is heading.

So, I ask you, fellow members of this community: Should we remove the badges feature, or should we keep it and find more frequent and creative ways to utilize it?

I will leave voting and suggestions open until next Friday, or until we have enough votes to justify the removal of this feature, at which point we will proceed with the closure of this thread. Polls cannot be added to this node type, so you can either use the up-vote or down-vote feature next to this post to cast your vote, and drop some feedback if you so choose to.
badges r nice, is there any downside to keeping them?

we can start awarding them for events

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
badges r nice, is there any downside to keeping them?

we can start awarding them for events
Other than the fact that we've barely used the add-on until now, my only remaining concern is whether the developer will continue to maintain it when XenForo removes jQuery completely in the next update. However, we'll see.

Back