Favourite starter trio

Dwimmerlaik

Changer of Ways
bBdQ5JOuFBuVvKNqs__LMtObPWzPrJkkI4ilKlR86Ik.jpg

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Hard to decide between Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh.

All of them have some great designs and/or anime nostalgia going for them, with basically the only ones I'm not that much of a fan of being Tododile's evolutions, Mudkip and Turtwig. Kanto might win on the grounds that I like all three but Blaziken and Sceptile is a hell of a duo to have.

I'll say Kanto =/> Hoenn > Sinnoh > Johto

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Johto will always be my favorite, even if Meganium is a tad plain

the first four gens basically all nailed starters though

gen v starters being kinda whatever is what stops me from putting it as the best generation overall

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
Kanto and Hoenn - Like all 3

Sinnoh, Johto, and Kalos - Like at least 2

All the others are pure trash and I despise their creators to the very depths of my jaded soul.

Reactions: Ral

Maddie

Acclaimed
Kanto - Like all three, but only Blastoise gets my love
Johto - 2/3 are cool, then there's Chikarita, also never liked Johto (depsite having most hours in Gold somehow?)
Hoenn - Favorite cuz Sceptile, ez
Sinnoh - Eh, while I love platinum/Sinnoh never cared for starts
Unova - Samurott is great, otherwise don't like them
Kalos - I love Greninja and Delphox is cute otherwise meh
Alola - I love Decidueye and Primarina is cute but otherwise eh
Galar - IDKNDIC
Hola or whatever it's called - IDKNDIC

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
the one with the the fire breathing dragon the one with the fire chicken the one with notwukong and the one with the football star

that's my entire basis for favorite starter trio

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Johto has always been my fav and also the game I spent the most time with as well when I was a tween :naruramen

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
just for fun if i had to rank them

1. kanto/hoenn - only generation where i think all three designs are just perfect and each one feels like they'll carry you through the game. Blaziken showed you could have a humanoid starter design without it feeling lackluster or less strong while Swampert and Sceptile are both incredibly cool. Kanto starters kind of speak for themselves. I'm far from a kanto fanboy, but even nostalgia aside all three of them capture what's best about pokemon.

2. Sinnoh - Not my favorites, but the strength of the designs makes it easy to place them second, because all three are creative and feel coherent and fully realized in addition to feeling like they'll carry you across the game. Torterra being a vaguely ankylosaurid zen garden, hanuman/sun wukong guy, and a steel emperor penguin are all concepts that sound cool on their own and they don't disappoint

3. Johto - My favorite by far, but when comparing them to other generations, Meganium does keep me from placing them higher. Not because it's a bad design exactly, but it is just slightly under-designed, in fact its second form Bayleef actually feels more cohesive and visually interesting. Had they continued some kind of evolution of the 'growing leaf' that continued in the first two forms it may have solved this. Typhlosion and especially Feraligatr are top tier though, especially their original sprites which both future sprites and 3d have never been able to live up to.

4. Kalos - Weird to find myself praising Kalos for anything but Delphox and Greninja are both fairly cool. I pretty much abjectly hate anthro/furbait designs but Delphox nailed the witch angle and doesn't feel like it's doing too much. Greninja's whole tongue scarf is pretty inspired and it's the standout of this generation. Chesnaught comes close to being cool but the proportions hurt it, and I guess that's just GF leaning into more humanoid designs in their philosophy. If it had proportions closer to Blastoise or something it'd stand out a lot more because that's a fairly rare body-type especially for starters.

5. Unova - Also weird for me to have them this low given I rank Unova overall as one of the best dexes, but the starters are all three just incredibly Ok to me. None of them particularly bad or amazing. Basing them on three different types of warriors from around the world is neat, but only Emboar seems to really nail that and I just don't care for how it looks all that much.

6. Alola - Brilliant region with a lot of cool pokemon with obscure biological or historical research put in, but 2/3 of the starters do very little for me. Decidueye is the standout, and is a fine design, just not one that appeals to me strongly. Primarina and Inciniroar do so far less though, and while I think Primarina being a more feminine starter is good I just also don't care for anything about how it looks or mammal starters in general. Nothing about Inciniroar works for me really.

7. Paldea - These starters with the exception of Skeledirge are just kinda forgettable. Quaqaval has the exact lack of design the first 4 generations had, i.e. it doesn't look like something capable of backing you up. Meowscarada has an interesting theme but look like it's missing something in much the same way Meganium was, except Meganium was a dinosaur so I find it infinitely cooler than a cat. Skeledirge has a lot going for it, the spirit bird on the snout is great and we finally got a return to a quadrupedal starter, plus it's the only gator pokemon to actually stand on four legs which helps it stand out. Using fire on a normally water dwelling animal is a good idea too. My only real issue is the rendering of the teeth, and this is more an indictment of Gen 9's style in general which skews heavily towards geometric, plastic-like designs. The cartoony teeth work but I also wonder what more traditional jaws would have looked like.

8. Galar - Worst region in general to me, but it does have some really good pokemon designs (Dragapult, the fossils). Unfortunately the starters are not among them. While I could see swapping them with Gen 9, the reason they're at the bottom is because all three first stages are perfect designs, which makes it far more disappointing when they evolve into their extremely uninteresting final forms. Inteleon in particular because it was my choice, makes no sense thematically going from emotion themed to...a secret agent?

To make things worse, their gigantamax forms all include features that would have made the base designs so much more interesting. If Inteleon just stood on its tail a bit and had the water rifle, you wouldn't even need to alter its goofy proportions any to look better. Just another example of how poorly thought out Gen 8 was considering starter Gmax forms are dlc....

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
My Starters for every generation:

Blastoise
Typhlosion
Sceptile
Infernape
Serperior
Greninja
Incineroar
Rillaboom
Quaquavel

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
just for fun if i had to rank them

1. kanto/hoenn - only generation where i think all three designs are just perfect and each one feels like they'll carry you through the game. Blaziken showed you could have a humanoid starter design without it feeling lackluster or less strong while Swampert and Sceptile are both incredibly cool. Kanto starters kind of speak for themselves. I'm far from a kanto fanboy, but even nostalgia aside all three of them capture what's best about pokemon.
I feel like most people would agree with this. In general, Kanto and Hoenn have some pretty strong fanbases and not just when it comes to Starter Pokemon.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I feel like most people would agree with this. In general, Kanto and Hoenn have some pretty strong fanbases and not just when it comes to Starter Pokemon.

That's just cause one was the intro for Millennials to Pokemon and the other is Zoomers entry.

I don't like the Hoenn games in gen 3. Just the starters.

Back