• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Madoka Magica feats, lore & power discussion

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Madoka Magica is a magical girl anime series created by Studio Shaft and written by Gen Urobuchi. It follows the story of Madoka Kaname, a girl who saves a mysterious creature called Kyubey from a mysterious girl called Homura Akemi; Kuybey offers to turn her into a magical girl in exchange for a single wish, but at what price?

As well as the 12 episode anime, there is also a movies called Rebellion with a planned sequel called Walpurgis Rising. There are various spinoffs, including manga, video games, novels, stage plays audio dramas and more.

There is also a spinoff called Magia Record, which started as a mobile game and spawned it's own anime series. It follows Iroha Tamaki in search of her sister in a strange neighbouring city where becoming a witch doesn't seem as permanent as anywhere else.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Madoka's wish is to erase every witch, past present and future, across every universe.
The Beginning Story: Episode 12 - Puella Magi Wiki
Madoka Magica - The Beginning Story said:
Madoka: I want to erase all Witches before they are even born. I will erase every single Witch in every universe, past and future with my own hands.
When purging all witches from history, Madoka splits apart infinitely, soreading across all of space and time.
Madoka becomes a mass of light, with arrows firing continuously toward the sky, multiplying infinitely towards all of space and time.
Madoka spreads throughout the entire Universe (which given includes all parallel worlds, would contextually mean multiverse).
The scene is projected to all Soul Gems throughout the universe. Magical girls from across time see and hear Madoka's call.
This includes all parallel worlds.
あらゆる時間、あらゆる平行世界
All of Time, All Parallel Worlds

Madoka's wish is remaking the universe/multiverse, causing the stars to come back into existence.

Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen, the Universe Witch (which may be a mistranslation of "Space Witch" or "Cosmic Witch") has enough despair to destroy the entire cosmos.
Kyubey: (Voice Over) She was able to bring forth enough hope to give birth to an entire universe. But that much hope also brings with it enough despair to end a universe. It's only natural.

Ultimate Madoka oneshots Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen and destroys and remakes the universe/multiverse in a single attack. This isn't even her strongest form.
(http://imgur.com/snoIHRl)
Hyper-Ultimate Madoka fires a purification beam towards the Universe Witch that's swallowing Earth whole. Hit by tremendous power, the Universe Witch fades away with a world-shattering scream.
Goddess Madoka sees (and contains) all things, all the universes that were, will be, and could have been.
Madoka: As I am now, I can see everything that ever has or will have happened. All the universes that could have been, and those that may yet come to be. Every single one.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The manga exists in a different Universe to the show, complete with its own timelines (which are parallel universes).
The movies are also in a different Universe (likely so that people who prefered the ending of the show can keep that, while people who prefered the ending of Rebellion can have that ending too).
puella magi madoka magica rebellion pamphlet interviews part 1
Timelines are parallel universes, even in context of each continuty.
All of space and time exists inside Goddess Madoka.
During Homura's time travel, she is said to have traversed almost 100 timelines.
Nitro+ Q&A Panels at Animagic 2013 - Puella Magi Wiki
Q: How many timelines did Homura go through?
A: Approaching 100.
For an alternate number, Urobutchi said he didn't really have any plans of how many timelines, though when asked if there are ten, he says that "it's a possible number, isn't it?"
【マギレコ】ほむらのループした回数明確に言ってたことあったっけ?

Urobuchi also (apparently) said that the number of timelines was more than 5, less than 1000.
> According to Gen Urobuchi, Homura's time to the main story is 5 or more and less than 1000 times (that is, the maximum experience time is less than 80 years).

Are you serious
Madoka Magica: The Different Story takes place in a timeline between the 4th timeline and 5th (main storyline) seen in the show, with Homura time travelling once more at the end.
Further reference to timelines being parallel worlds.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Time for some more notes. To start, a height chart.
Looking over some of the production notes, and there's some notes worth pointing out indeed. All can be found below, along with translations and credit to the translators. It should also be noted that as production notes, this does not guarentee that the concepts made it into the final production itself. Nether-the-less they're worth mentioning.

Walpurgisnaucht can flood the world with magic, and she's capable of halting the rotation of the Earth, creating an eternal Walpurgisnaucht Night.

Kriemhild Gretchen (in the second timeline) sucked up everything on a continental scale, outside the few kilometers around Homura (though it mentions where Sayaka lies, when word of god has stated that every timeline in which Sayaka makes a contract, she turns into Oktavia; although in The Different Story timeline, she's in the fight against Walpurgisnacht with Madoka and Homura due to Madoka's wish).
まどかの周囲数km だけのこして(さやかの居る所)
他は、大陸規模で どんどん吸われてる
Besides the few kilometers around Madoka not being affected (location where Sayaka lies)
everything else is sucked in quickly on a continental scale

We actually do see something akin to this happening in the series; Kriemhild Gretchen in the second timeline commences to suck up clouds and water as soon as she is born.
(http://imgur.com/SfiI2yk)
What's more, this same design note says that Kriemhild Gretchen will drag the entire planet into her "bewitched space" in preparation of creating "a new heaven" (although Kriemhild Gretchen even in her weaker forms is more powerful than Walpurgisnaucht, who doesn't have a Labyrinth, so make of this what you will).
まどかマジョ 結界へ地球を まるっと吸い込んで
新しい天国を 作る予定
Madoka Witch sucks in the whole Earth into her bewitched space
in preparation of creating a new heaven
結界が巨大すぎて 地球ごと 吸い上げ ようとしている
The bewitched space is so large that it pulls and sucks in the whole Earth
Izabel joins human (body) parts together to create her familiars. She also moves at "incredible speeds."
Witch:
Part of the relief. (Actually, though, the whole arch is the witch.)
While Homura is distracted by the minions,
something like a triumphal arch springs up behind
her with incredible speed (stop-motion).
She joins human parts together to build
human statues that greatly resemble some person.
She uses them to attack (minion #2).
Oktavia looks different in the 3rd timeline, because in that one Kyouske was a guitarist and not a violinist.
(10) Witch Sayaka. Colors are different from episode 8. The basic colors are Sayaka's colors, the same as in episode 8, but the parts aside from those are different.
(11) ☆ In the past, before the loops happened, Kyousuke was a guitarist.

Onto Magia Record for a bit, a device on top of Kamihama Central Tower's activation at full power uses so much energy it temporarily depowers the rest of the city, and draws the remnants of Ai's Labyrinth and copies of Teresa, as well as metallic objects throughout the city. I can't remember if this scales to any of the magical girls or witches & rumours or not, but at the very least it's an impressive tech feat (Alina refers to it as her "rearing cage").
(http://imgur.com/cCSvDOg)
Alina Grey's doppler (?) covers a massive statue in paint that makes people go crazy when they touch it.
(http://imgur.com/bNiQCLg)
For reference to the size of the statue (which for reference, isn't a part of Tearesa's Labyrinth).
Felica (with aid from Tsuruna) creates a huge column of fire with her hammer strike, taking out multiple of Teresa's "hammers".
(http://imgur.com/Id6KPFE)
Madoka's attack in Magia Record (the game) parts the clouds, and then bombards the enemy with energy blasts.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I've talked about Saya, but what about the other best girl?

As said above, Homura is one of the absolute weakest magical girls, weaker than either Kyoko or Sayaka (physically at least, she can hit a lot harder with her bombs and magically enhanced weapons/vehicles in conjunction with her time freeze, which I'll get to in a bit), who uses her hax to gain an upper hand over other magical girls and witches (though she is sill much stronger than a normal human).

Keep "absolute weakest category" of magical girls in mind because Homura is still physically strong enough not only to make a massive jump, but to survive having a skyscraper dropped on her (in multiple timelines).
(http://imgur.com/1h7JOKA)
(http://imgur.com/iYy2qIz)
However, though she may be physically weaker than other magical girls, she can still hit considerably with her bombs and magic, with her pipe bombs Patricia and kills Oktavia with multiple pipebombs.
(http://imgur.com/UaURDqR)

Though it does take several explosions to kill Charlotte, there's a noticably large crater left from the explosions afterwards. Homura also gets the balls to fly to Charlotte and explode against her.
(http://imgur.com/TGp8Wdq)
As well as bombs, Homura can magically empower weapons and vechiles. She does just this and uses a truck to fly into Walpurgisnaucht, before blasting Walpurgisnauct with missiles, sending her flying into a pit of bombs she set up (also note "Shaft" is written on the missile launchers).
[ (http://imgur.com/PGgUNVl)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Sayaka flies across Elly's Labyrinth and smacks Elly into the sky, before whacking her down through her labyrinth fast enough to create sonic booms. This shatters Elly's labyrinth, causing the structures to fall apart, the substance of it to crack and a deep blue circle to appear at the top (the collapse of the labyrinth, or clouds parting, or whatever the labyrinth is mad of, it's too abstract to tell properly). Sayaka is also too small to be seem at certain points when flying/leaping across the labyrinth, which speaks for her speed and the size of the labyrinth (which she breaks).
(http://imgur.com/abXKOzR)
This is not the only time that Sayaka has destroyed a labyrinth either; Sayaka also noticably shatters Elsa Maria's labyrinth too (although this one is harder to judge how big it is).
As another note, to compare when a witch is usually defeated, the labyrinth does not shatter; just fades away. So Sayaka is definately shattering said Labyrinths, such as when Homura kills Charlotte.
(http://imgur.com/62Jtxio)

For something far less abstract, in Magia Record (a different Universe to the show), Sayaka blocks and deflects a Tiro Finalle from Holy Mami, which flies off and makes a massive explosion. In the process, Sayaka looses one of her arms, but regenerates it just a second later.
(http://imgur.com/RxxTiz4)
Earlier in this fight, we see Sayaka deflecting a comical number of bullets from Holy Mami.
(http://imgur.com/hh5p963)
As Sayaka used her wish to heal someone, she can now heal herself at an incredible rate (as is the case with each wish made by a magical girl determining their powers).
Madoka Magica - The Beginnings said:
Kyubey: She became a magical girl using a wish for healing, after all. Her ability to recover from damage is exceptional.

Though there are other impressive feats for other magical girls (which I'll get to later), right now I'm focusing on Sayaka because she's one of the weaker, if not weakest, member of the Holy Quintet (though I also remember an interview saying Homura in herself is pretty weak, though her time stop gives her an advantage over stronger magical girls).
Word of god also backs this up, saying that Sayaka is weaker than Kyoko, who in turn is weaker than Mami, and Homura is strongest so long as no one knows how she uses her powers.
As a final note, during her transformation sequence in Magia Record, Sakaya grows from being 14 to 16 to 18 to 20 before going back to 14.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I'm not sure what this is from, but one of the manga says that the branching alternate timelines stretches into infinity.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Madoka Magica novelization was written by Hajime Ninomae, and it comes in two volumes, totalling around 600 pages, including images. Most of it is told in 1st person from Madoka's perspective, but there are segments from Homura's perspective.

Firstly, let me note that I'm using a machine translator. Machine translators aren't always acurate, and they can get stuff very much wrong, but they do get the general jist. I also had a friend who can read Japanese look at some of the paragraphs, and he confirmed that they indeed say what they say (although not always worded in that order). Such sentences I'll highlight. Of course, feel free to improve the translations yourself if you wish.
(Full raw)
Madoka Magica novelization - Volume 1 said:
After jumping over a number of buildings, Sayaka-chan dropped me off.
It was the roof of a big building.
Sayaka leaps over buildings, while carrying Madoka.

There's no exact number on how many times Homura looped, but she says she repeated the month "time and again" and "repeated over and over."
(Full raw)
Madoka Magica novelization - Volume 2 said:
-Repeat.
-I repeat it over and over.
Kyubey talks about Homura's time travel tangling up the threads of fate from multiple parallel worlds.
(Full raw)
Infinite time passes through Madoka as she accumulates infinite experiences, and changes from Madoka into someone else, another more powerful being.
(Full raw)
Madoka is friends with everyone in every parallel world on every timeline.
If you wanted to be friends from here, you could be friends with anyone. Everyone who lives in every parallel world on every timeline.
Ultimate Madoka clenses Walpurgisnacht of her despair. After her form collapses, Madoka takes Walpurgisnacht and feels her sorrow (Madoka's own sadness being so great it pierces the Universe), before she takes the girl Walpurgis into her (the girl Walpurgis, not the witch; we finally meet the magical girl she once was, but we still know nothing about her, and likely never will). Madoka then vanishes.

The fate of Madoka Kaname. Homura wakes up in the primordial Universe, when Madoka's wish is remaking the Universe, when all galaxies where formed and infinite proliferation begins (this would mean the Universe was remade right from the very Big Bang). A soul gem the size of a planet then passes by, and Kriemhild Gretchen begins to awaken from it as all despair of all magical girls who ever were or will be is turns it into the ultimate grief seed.
Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen has enough mass to rip the Universe apart, and her planet-sized form utterly dwarves the city-sized Night of Walpurgis.
(Full raw)
It is a huge size that is incomparable, such as Walpurgis Night, which boasts the size of a city.
"Oh..."
Eventually, the maximal witch who appeared by scattering the mass enough to tear the Universe is awesome.
However, Madoka wished for the power to destroy all witches, including Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen. She emerges from infinite space-time with an arrow that lights up the Universe, and destroys Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen.
Madoka ascends to the level past this Universe, becoming a concept who always was and always will be in an infinite white plane.
(Full raw)