Your Opinion On Mega Evolutions/Regional Forms/Gigantamax

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
For me personally? I think that Pokemon went to shit exactly as soon as they introduced Mewtwo Y. There were literally memes going around everywhere on Social Media criticizing the Hell out of it at the time. It just goes to show how much of a failed concept Mega Evolutions/Regional Forms/Gigantamax were in general. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Ral
The whole "unleash your pokemon's ultimate power" shtick is lame
I like regional forms, though

Before that was introduced I remember wishing that they'd introduce like an alternate version of shiny pokemon, akin to what they used to do in the TGC (ie, "Light Golduck", "Dark Espeon"), but more like how Shadow Lugia in XD had a radically different color scheme.
Most shiny pokemon are pretty bland.

Regional forms is almost that, but more fleshed out and not as widely utilized.

The only gripe I have with it is in cpu trainer battles where it'll say "So and so is about to send in Ninetales" so you think "Oh yeah fire-type, I'll switch to a water pokemon" and then the trainer sends in Alolan Ninetales and you're in trouble.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
Regional forms are great, and fit in with the setting really well and make sense for them in different environments to have developed differently

Conceptually I fucking hate Megas, but there's a few that I think were executed well. But the core idea of super forms for everything just isn't really my thing for pokemon, but I get that I'm in the minority there. But even the concept aside, most of them are just poorly thought out and overdesigned. Mega Absol looks like a 2008 deviantart oc not a pokemon. Others like Mega Scizor or Tyranitar ruin what were already perfect and cool designs by adding a bunch of unnecessary flourishes. I would rather they just rebalance more older gen pokemon, but I know gamefreak and balance don't mesh.

Most of the Gmax designs looked cool, but some should've just been the final form designs anyways (Centiskorch, Drednaw, Coalossal). Dynamax is awful, just looks dumb as hell. SwSh's garbage lore also failed to do anything interesting with the fact that it's a whole region of giants and Arceus was fighting giants at the beginning of the universe

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Mega Evolution was ripped straight from Digimon, except there it was called Burst Evolution and was MUCH better handled (not to mention simply fit better in Digimon overall as powered-up forms of Digimon had been a thing since forever). Pokemon is just not a series that needed super forms or moves for the Pokemon.

Regional Variants are the only one of these ideas that made sense within the Pokemon world and are reasonably well executed. I just wish there was more of them.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
Huh... I liked Mega Evolution. Really opened up a new playstyle for some Pokemon.
Regionals are cool. They're basically like Delta's from Insurgence and I dig that.

I don't like Gigantamax and S/Vs crystallization is fucking lame looking. Yes yes mechanically it's great, but visually it's as vomit inducing as the rest of the games.

The whole "unleash your pokemon's ultimate power" shtick is lame
I like regional forms, though

Before that was introduced I remember wishing that they'd introduce like an alternate version of pokemon fusion website, akin to what they used to do in the TGC (ie, "Light Golduck", "Dark Espeon"), but more like how Shadow Lugia in XD had a radically different color scheme.
Most shiny pokemon are pretty bland.

Regional forms is almost that, but more fleshed out and not as widely utilized.

The only gripe I have with it is in cpu trainer battles where it'll say "So and so is about to send in Ninetales" so you think "Oh yeah fire-type, I'll switch to a water pokemon" and then the trainer sends in Alolan Ninetales and you're in trouble.
Yeah, it's sadly one of the things that Digimon will always hold over Yu-Gi-Oh's head as a series.

Or hell Pokemon as well. Some of Ash's female companions are almost as well-known as he is and shared near-equal billing as protagonists.

Aki really did seem like she was going to break that mold when 5Ds started...and then Crow showed up.

Back