• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Earthbound/Mother feats, respect & lore thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Mother (or Earthbound as it's called in the West) is a trilogy of science fiction RPGs made for Nintendo by Shigesato Ito. Each one tells it's own story, though all of them are overall connected. Each game features a young boy with psychic powers embark on a journey to save the world and the ones he loves. As well as the games, there are also some spinoff manga, and the characters have appeared in Super Smash Bros.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In order to defeat Giygas, Ness must unite his power with that of the Earth, and by drawing out the power of the Melodies in the special places his own strength will grow.
Ness creates the realm of Magicant in his mind.
(Japanese version)
Ness, you have stood at all eight power spots of the earth. That was the requirement/condition for creating this realm in your mind known as Magicant.
(English version)
Ness, you’ve stood on the eight power spots of the earth. From these, you created Magicant, the realm of your mind.
Within Magicant is the Sea of Eden, a realm filled with ultimate intelligence, where you can touch the Truth of the Universe.
(Japanese version)
“It’s a place where you can touch the truth of the universe for just an instant.”
(English version)
It’s a place where you can touch the truth of the universe.
In order to defeat Giygas, Ness must merge/overlap with the entire Universe, and this is part of a universal system.
You finally came, Ness. Finally, you talk to me.

Listen Ness. I’m going to tell you something very important. You may want to take notes.

Ready? You’re the chosen one. Your destiny is not only yours… It’s the destiny of the whole universe.

There will be a time in which all of you in the universe will overlap each other.

…It’s not necessary to understand now.

Do you remember “Giant Step” in Onett? That is one of “Your Sanctuary.”

It is a spot which gives you power and allows you to realize all your skills.

There was a monster that protected it. The monster was influenced by the power of the place.

You must have beaten those monsters.

You must reach all of the eight power spots in the world…

When the Sound Stone records the melodies of all eight power spots, you can finally see “Your World.”

I’ll tell you all of the power spots.

1. “Giant Step” in Onett.

2. “Lilliput Steps” in Peaceful Rest Valley near Twoson.

3. “Milky Well” in Grapefruit Falls in Saturn Valley.

4. “Rainy Circle” found by Jeff in Winters.

5. “Magnet Hill” at the edge of the city of Fourside.

6. “Pink Cloud” which Poo knows.

7. and… “Lumine Hole” where the shining lichen lives in the cave.

8. A new place is now going to be opened up to you. “Fire Spring,” located southwest of here.

Listen to the melodies of all eight power spots.

If you do not fail, you may upset Giygas’ plans…

Understand, Ness? The time will come.

The time when the destiny of you and the whole universe will overlap… It is fast approaching.
Nesss Magicant has planets and stars in it.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Maria, or Queen Mary, is Ninten's grandmother. She was taken it Giegue's homeworld on the otherside of the Universe, and from there she was able to create and sustain her own mental realm of Magicant.
MY NAME IS EVE.
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU.
MY CREATOR WAS GEORGE...
HE WAS TAKEN TO THE END OF THE UNIVERSE...
THEN BROUGHT BACK LATER.
I AM HERE TO PROTECT YOU.
THAT IS MY PURPOSE.
After telling the story to Ninten, with a rush of wind, Queen Mary vanished. As she disappeared, so did Magicant. Magicant was a mirage... A mirage born of Maria's consciousness. - Narrator
Her lullaby was the only thing capable of calming (and later, harming) Giegue (or Giygas).
Narrator: (Ninten hears the voice of Queen Mary)

Maria: Giegue cannot be defeated with force...You cannot defeat Giegue with a weapon of any kind. You must SING my lullaby, with all your feelings...SING my lullaby with all your heart.
The residents of Magicant are are of the nature of their world, and some in fact live in terror of Maria no longer sustaining it.
In a bad dream, Magicant vanished into thin air.
My heart is still pounding so hard.
Maria's lullaby is literally her love taken form.
Although Magicant is a mental realm that exists inside Maria's mind, it's possible for Ninten and his friends to enter and interact with it (they even get one of the Eight Melodies from inside it, as well as other objects which remain after they leave).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Truth of the Universe is a mysterious force/entity which governs everything in the cosmos. It traverses the cosmos like a wave and a grain and speaks to people through their minds (it also refers to each person as being their own universe, which would be in reference to Magicant; this would make each Magicant a universe, and there is a Magicant in everyone's mind, though you need to be a powerful psychic to manifest yours).
(Japanese version)
(English version)
Within the Sea of Eden in Ness's Magicant, he can touch the Truth of the Universe but for an instant (I am not sure if "ultimate intelligence refers to it or to Ness's mind or both).
The Sea of Eden is filled with ultimate intelligence. It’s a place where you can touch the truth of the universe for just an instant. - Star Master
The Truth of the Universe is what selects Chosen Ones when the cosmos is in crisis. Keep in mind that Ness is referred to "a" Chosen One and not "the" Chosen One.
This is brought up in Mother 3, where Lucas is a Chosen Boy, which allows him to pull the Needles whereas not even the Magypsies can.
It says only those with the power of PK Love can pull the seven Needles. Not even we Magypsies have that ability. In other words, you're able to pull the Needles because you're a chosen boy
Lucas. It seems you’re a chosen one, with the ability to pull the Needles sealing the Dragon away - Leder
Master Proky (or Pokey Minch) manipulates Klaus into becoming the Masked Man, so as to control someone who can pull the needles.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Giygas is the main villain of the first two games (for reference, I'll be calling him Giegue for Mother 1 and Giygas for Earthbound). In Mother 1 (where he's referred to as Giegue), he causes people to go crazy (and creates black clouds over the mountains).
The black clouds that hang over the mountains...They're making all the towns-people crazy.
Giegue's power also affects animals and the dead (it's implied to even be controlling all the inanimate objects you fight too, as at the end of Earthbound almost all the enemies are gone).
The animals went mad and out of control. The dead became zombies and began attacking people. What can be done? - Citizen 2
The animals went mad and began to escape, so the Zoo was locked. - Citizen 3
Someone must be controlling the dead.- Citizen 4
I think something is controlling the animals. - Citizen 5
During the last battle, he says that he'll put all humans to "sleep".
The only thing capable of hurting Giygas is the song of Maria, as it embodies her love for him.
‚l‚n‚s‚g‚d‚q‰ž‰‡ƒy[ƒW
Narrator: (Ninten hears the voice of Queen Mary)

Maria: Giegue cannot be defeated with force...You cannot defeat Giegue with a weapon of any kind. You must SING my lullaby, with all your feelings...SING my lullaby with all your heart.
10 years from the events of Earthbound, Giygas has destroyed the Universe and sent everything into the eternal darkness of Hell.
Much like his much weaker form, Giygas's evil presence is driving people, animals, plants, machines and even inanimate objects to violence by his mere presence (all enemies in Earthbound are either corrupted by Giygas or working for Giygas; after you beat Giygas at the end of the game, you can wander an enemy-less world, further evidence of this).
Giygas is doing all of this from many years in the past.
Giygas is attacking from our exact location, but he is attacking from many years in the past.
Looking over the translation differences, the embodiment of evil thing may be up for question - in the English version, he's the embodiment of evil, but in the Japanese version, he's notthe embodiment of evil, but made of evil itself (or something). This doesn't affect his overall power though.
During the fight against Pokey, Pokey turns off the Devil Machine and Giygas is unleashed. Giygas's power is so titanic that it destroys "his" mind.
Giygas cannot think rationally anymore, and he isn't even aware of what he is doing now. His own mind was destroyed by his incredible power. What an all-mighty idiot! - Pokey Minch
Even far into the distant past, Giygas already possesses enough power to destroy the Universe.
And here you stand, 'waiting to be burned up with all the rest of the garbage of this universe...
The final battle against Giygas takes place in a bizzare dimension.
In this bizarre dimension, you four are the only force fighting for justice...
Giygas's lair is located in the depths of time (beyond space & time in the English version).
It requires Paula praying to people around the world and across time in order to defeat Giygas, including the player themselves (these Prayers are also the embodiment of Maria's love). Even then, it's possible for Paula's plea to fail and be consumed by the darkness.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Dark Dragon is a being of unfathomable power capable of remaking the world. The power of the Dark Dragon is limitless, and bigger than the Nowhere Isles (the islands even look like a dragon), placed to sleep by the Seven Needles, and awakened when the Seven Needles are pulled. Its power protects the Nowhere Isles from danger and the heart of the awakener will pass onto the Dragon and the world will be remade in their image - be it good or evil, the world will be remade in their image. When their Needle is pulled, the protecting Magypsy disappears.
The power seeping from the pulled Needle spots is described as incredible.

Said above protection protected the Nowhere Isles from the end of the world (note also that the world earth is in lower case, as in to imply matter in general and not just one planet; this'll be important later).
Leder
Only a Chosen One can awaken the Dark Dragon. Not even the Magypsies or Porky can pull the Needles. Lucas and Claus are both Chosen Ones. Note also that Master Porky, who is now considerably powerful, is hunting for the power of the Dark Dragon.
It says only those with the power of PK Love can pull the seven Needles. Not even we Magypsies have that ability. In other words, you're able to pull the Needles because you're a chosen boy. - Ionia
Leder
The Awakening of the Dark Dragon by someone with an evil heart will end all life and (for that matter) everything else, or at least it'll be bent horribly to malevolent will.
The beginning of the end. The end of everything. - Master Porky
...the time has come for you to save the future of all life as we know it. - Leder
We have to put a stop to Porky’s antics. If we don’t, the world will be completely destroyed again, and it will spell the true end for everything. - Leder
A great, undefiable power has prepared a festival for the end of all life... - Shimmy Zmizz

To back up that this is infact referring to everything, the Dark Dragons awakening would restart all of life and all of time.

Though there is the option of the world being remade for good and a world being remade for bad depending on the heart of the one who pulls the final needle, if someone with no heart pulled the final needle then everything would cease to exist, including the Dark Dragon itself. Itoi says that this would include the real world and him too.
Even ignoring the metahax implications, this would mean that at least two universes where in peril. The remaining characters at the end even ask how the player is going in their world.

Leder mentions that Master Porky was shut out from all other times and spaces, which is how he ended up at the Nowhere Isles.
However, he was apparently shut out from all other times and spaces and tumbled into this era and these islands.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Atomic Powered Robot is a robot which revitalizes its own energy and the energy of other robots with the power of the atom. It appears in all three games. When defeated, it unleashes a huge nuclear explosion.
A robot that replenishes other robots' energy by utilizing the power of the atom. — Battle Memory (Mother 3)
The Nuclear Reactor Robot is even more powerful than the Atomic Power Robot, and can unleash an even more powerful explosion upon its defeat.
Replenishes even more energy than the Atomic Power Robot, but its explosion is all the more powerful, too." — Battle Memory (Mother 3)
The monsters on Mt. Itoi are strong enough to rip a pickup truck clean in two.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The hospital in Maria's Magicant can cure the cold you have even if it came from the real world.
The shadiest figure in Maria's Magicant comes from a real world (interestingly enough that it says "a" and not "the").
Magicant exists in someones dream, which you somehow entered.
Magicant has an immeasurable area, as does the town within Magicant.
MAGICANT
Area: Immeasurable
Population: 42
Average Temperature: Uncertain
MAGICANT TOWN AREA
Area: Immeasurable
Population: 27
Main Industry: Philosophy
The Flying Men that help you on your quest were part of a story made by Ninten's Grandmother (Maria).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The underground stream found in Maria's Magicant is said to be the river which exists in the space between this life and the next.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A list of PSI abilities.

Hypnosis - Puts an enemy to sleep (used by Ninten, Ness and Kumatora)

PK Flash - Enflicts a status effect, from strangeness to paralysis to crying to knock out (used by Ness and Lucas)

Darkness - Blinds your enemies (used by Ana)

Lifeup - Recovers health for you and and your allies (used by Ninten, Ana, Ness, Poo, Lucas and Kumatora)

DefenseDown - Decreases the defence of enemies (used by Ninten, Paula and Kumatora)

DefenseUp - Increases the defence of allies (used by Ninten and Lucas)

QuickUp - Increases the speed of allies (used by Ninten)

OffenseUp - Increases the attack power of your allies (used by Ninten, Paula and Lucas)

Shield - Protects you and your allies from attacks, and can reflect attacks back (used by Ness, Paula, Poo and Lucas)

PowerShied - Deflects all PSI attacks back at those who sent them (used by Ninten and Ana)
Shield Off - Used to remove the psychic shield of an enemy (used by Ninten and Ana)

Healing - Cures status allignments and revives fallen allies (used by Ninten, Ana, Ness, Poo, Lucas and Kumatora)

Paralysis - Paralyses one or more enemies (used by Ana, Ness and Kumatora)

Teleport - Allows Ness to visit anywhere he's been before (used by Ninten, Ana, Ness and Poo)

Brainstorm - Used to muddle the enemies minds (used by Ana, Poo and Kumatora)

PSI Magnet - Syphons the psychic energy of enemies (used by Ana, Paula, Poo and Kumatora)

PSI Block - Stops an enemy from using PSI (used by Ana)

Telepathy - Used to read the minds of humans, animals and other creatures (used by Ninten, Ana, Ness, Paula, Lucas and Kumatora)

4-D Slip - Used to escape a dungeon (used by Ninten)

PSI Farewell - Used by Poo to teleport away after the journey is complete (used by Poo)

PK Thunder - Calls down one or more lightning bolts (used by Ana, Paula, Poo and Kumatora)

PK Fire - Sets enemies on fire (used by Ana, Paula and Kumatora)

PK Freeze - Freezes the target (used by Ana, Paula, Poo and Kumatora)

PK Beam - A beam attack (used by Ana)

PK Ground - Generates a powerful earthquake (used by Kumatora)

PSI Rockin' - A powerful PK attack and the ultimate attack of Ness (used by Ness)

PK Starstorm - "Shakes off" or drops stars on your foes, and the ultimate attack of Poo and Kumatora (used by Poo and Kumatora)

PK Love - The ultimate attack of Lucas and Claus, used by those who can pull the Seven Needles and awaken the Dark Dragon (used by Lucas and Claus)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Star Master appears to Poo and Ness several times throughout their journey...including in Magicant itself. He teaches Poo Star Storm, and knows great knowledge on Magicant.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Pokey Minch (or Master Porky, as he'll later become) is a bully made tyrannical dictator, and the main villain of Mother 3. After the defeat of Giygas, Pokey travelled across time and space at will using the Phase Distorter, until he was shut out of every other time and space. Here he set up his fascist armies by brainwashing everyone in New Pork City and experimented on animals to create the chimeras.
Master Porky is simultaneously a young boy and an old man at the same time.
Pokey Minch (and later Master Porky) can fight against Ness and Lucas and their friends (even against endgame Ness).

Master Porky cannot die (even if you defeat him), and no longer ages due to how much he has travelled through time. If he succeeded, only him and the Dark Dragon would remain.
Now do you see?! Now do you understand the sadness Master Porky bears now that he's Godlike?

After his defeat, Master Porky sealed himself away in the Absolutely Safe Capsule, which would keep him absolutely safe forever.
Even when the Sun burns out and the Earth is consumed, Porky will still be absolutely safe.
- That means that even when the world crumbles away, Porky will never die.
Itoi So 5.5 billion years from now, Porky will still be alive. ...But the grief of that is incredibly depressing to me. It's amazing... Porky is truly a poem in himself.
Master Porky is still in the Absolutely Safe Capsule after the Dark Dragon remakes the world.