Email Notifications

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
When you first join the forum, it will automatically set your preferences to watch threads you post in by default and send you an email each time someone replies. Is this a preference that you use? Is it something we should keep around? Do you like email notifications vs visiting the forum and tending to your notifications that way? I ask this because we are going to be upgrading to a VPS server soon and it would require that I build a mail server or choose a provider, which the latter can become pricey given that email notifications are turned on by default.

What are your thoughts regarding email notifications other that the ones you'd receive when confirming your account or resetting your password?

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i don't check the email i used for registering so no i don't use it.

personally don't think it's necessary and i get the feeling most people just check notifications on the forum as opposed to email. but i could be wrong.

Reactions: Ral

Disquiet

deeply unsettling
I don't want emails. I don't even take "push notifications" (?). I just want to see notifications when I'm here, and escape into solitude when I'm not here. This might be a me thing; I like to be able to switch my attention completely away from something at my leisure.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I be looking at my inbox in my throwaway email and it's all threads I maybe replied to once lmao this was before I turned the shit off in my preferences.

marf

🍌 Banana Joe 🍌
V.I.P. Member
Yeah, I don't need email alerts either. I've got a seperate email adress just for forums, mainly because NF will always send me emails, no whatter which settings I choose. Last time I looked, I had nearly 3000 unread emails from NF.

MrBopo

Paramount
When you first join the forum, it will automatically set your preferences to watch threads you post in by default and send you an email each time someone replies. Is this a preference that you use? Is it something we should keep around? Do you like email notifications vs visiting the forum and tending to your notifications that way? I ask this because we are going to be upgrading to a VPS server soon and it would require that I build a mail server or choose a provider, which the latter can become pricey given that email notifications are turned on by default.

What are your thoughts regarding email notifications other that the ones you'd receive when confirming your account or resetting your password?
It becomes spam for your email no one likes it unless they set it enabled and watch a certain thread for it

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Revisiting this thread because I am planning to migrate our server soon and need a headcount on who actually relies on email notifications here. Other than password reset, new user registrations, etc., the only email notifications I plan on removing are the ones sent for thread and PM replies. The goal here is to reduce costs as much as possible so that the forum can stay alive for as long as Oracle Cloud does. I am also looking into Amazon Simple Email Service (SES) because it's cheap and doesn't require me to create or mess with an SMTP server.

Worst

Revisiting this thread because I am planning to migrate our server soon and need a headcount on who actually relies on email notifications here. Other than password reset, new user registrations, etc., the only email notifications I plan on removing are the ones sent for thread and PM replies. The goal here is to reduce costs as much as possible so that the forum can stay alive for as long as Oracle Cloud does. I am also looking into Amazon Simple Email Service (SES) because it's cheap and doesn't require me to create or mess with an SMTP server.

I think no one relies on emails for forum notifications xD

The only advantage they have over forum notifications is that they persist, other than that it might actually be a nuisance if you get lots of reactions / quotes. You'd just get your email flooded for nothing....

Imho it's safe to remove it especially if it helps reducing costs :)

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I think no one relies on emails for forum notifications xD

The only advantage they have over forum notifications is that they persist, other than that it might actually be a nuisance if you get lots of reactions / quotes. You'd just get your email flooded for nothing....

Imho it's safe to remove it especially if it helps reducing costs :)
Let's just hope Amazon SES approves of my application to take me out of sandbox mode lol

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Amazon basically told me to go fuck myself :skully they really don't like forums and want people that send thousands of email so they can make a decent profit :pepesip

Back