Favorite Region

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
On the grounds that it was the game I played the most of, I'll also go Johto for the games.

Though the Hoenn stuff and the Battle Frontier was my favourite part of the anime so I guess I'll go Hoenn for the anime.

Also Pokemon has its own section? Sweet now Digimon needs one and all will be well. :maybe

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
I can't tolerate gen 3 Hoenn.

Johto is a favorite, I love tradition and history and Johto encapsulates this.

I also love Sinnoh in spite of it's annoyingly large HM requirements.

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
im in the middle of replaying Emerald and loving it, and I think Hoenn had the best pokedex along with Gen V (even though II is my favorite) but I just hit the wide ocean after the 7th gym and yeah, it's rough.

I wouldn't even mind it so much if it didn't all look the same, makes it really annoying to try and find items even using a map because you keep going to the same places. Left off at the underground Team Aqua base which was incredibly annoying to navigate

Yoshi

Distinguished
V.I.P. Member
Generation III has the best number of Pokemon in general and the best Pokedex whether it be in Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, or Emerald. I also prefer the low amount of pre evolutions we got in it compared to the abundance of evolutions and pre evolutions that were introduced in Generation IV, as well.

Generation IV has too much backtracking comparatively to Generation III as well, and I actually find that worse than the sea routes too, LOL. If I want to experience backtracking, I would do so in a platformer like Donkey Kong 64, not an RPG like Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, ROFL.

Dwimmerlaik

Changer of Ways
Are we talking about the region itself or the generation?

Johto is one of if not my least favourite regions, but the game/gen itself is good because you get to go to Kanto too. Speaking of Kanto, I always loved how you end up back at the beginning in Kanto.

Hoenn was solid, but perhaps a bit flat compared to Sinnoh and Unova.

Kalos was pretty but something about the gen didn't click with me so my opinion of the region itself also suffers.

Alola was very comfy

Galar...somewhat boring compared to Alola, despite having the advantage of a next gen console.

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member
I always find it kinda funny people love gen 2 so much for the kanto aspect because when i replayed it recently there is just, barely anything to actually do in kanto. I found myself having a lot more fun exploring all the optional areas in Johto, which are actually the bulk of the region and probably why it feels short to a lot of people.

Galar is easily my least favorite, aesthetically, thematically, just nothing about it hits home for me.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Johto will always be my favorite region because it had doggos that were a pleasure to chase around and catch along with two birbs :naruramen

Dwimmerlaik

Changer of Ways
I always find it kinda funny people love gen 2 so much for the kanto aspect because when i replayed it recently there is just, barely anything to actually do in kanto. I found myself having a lot more fun exploring all the optional areas in Johto, which are actually the bulk of the region and probably why it feels short to a lot of people.

Galar is easily my least favorite, aesthetically, thematically, just nothing about it hits home for me.
As far as Pokémon post-games go it's very much significant, and there's good reason why it's remembered so fondly. You, the new Indigo League champ, get to travel to a whole new (or rather, the old) region to challenge the Gym Leaders there. It also ties up the story of Blue and Silver, alongside some other tidbits such as Cinnabar Island being blown to bits and Janine replacing Koga. It's merely a watered-down Kanto, but nothing has come really close since.

I don't remember the optional areas in Johto being anything near as impressive.

johto n unova were my favorite

As far as Pokémon post-games go it's very much significant, and there's good reason why it's remembered so fondly. You, the new Indigo League champ, get to travel to a whole new (or rather, the old) region to challenge the Gym Leaders there. It also ties up the story of Blue and Silver, alongside some other tidbits such as Cinnabar Island being blown to bits and Janine replacing Koga. It's merely a watered-down Kanto, but nothing has come really close since.

i loved the idea of absolutely dominating all the old heads back in kanto

OtherGalaxy

V.I.P. Member

being able to fight all the gyms again is great but that is all there is in the kanto section of the game. Every single dungeon was either removed or shortened and the trainers are all 5-10 levels lower than they should be, and trainer rematches only occur in Johto making the issue worse.

my issue isnt really with the gyms themselves being great, because they are, it's the common sentiment that the kanto segment is the best section of the game when it's about 2 hours of content altogether and 70% of that is the gyms.

by contrast every explorable area but ice path is mostly optional in johto, Dark Cave, most of Union Cave, most of the Lake of Rage, Mount Mortar, Lugia and Ho-Oh's areas, plus you have stuff like the bug catching contest. I just think on its own merits people tend to undersell it as a region because of Kanto nostalgia. It is a smaller region than most but I don't feel it's as barren as a lot of people say

• Agree
Reactions: Ral
Back