Fullmetal Alchemist feats, power & lore analysis thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Fullmetal Alchemist is a manga series written by Hiromu Arakawa. The series has been adapted into two animes (one in 2003 which followd the first part of the manga before diverging from the source material, and a second, Brotherhood, in 2009 which faithfully adapts the manga), both of which have had a spinoff movie (the Conqueror of Shamballa and The Sacred of Milos respectively). There have also been many games, some of which are spinoffs to the manga or the first anime series, as well as novels set in the same universe. A trilogy of live-action movies has also been created, as well as a board game and various other spinoffs.

The story follows Edward Elric and Alphonse Elric as they go on a journey to find a way to get their original bodies back (after Ed lost his arm and leg and Al his whole body) after trying to bring their mother back in a human transmutation ritual. On the way, Ed joins the state military of the nation of Amestris and becomes the youngest state alchemist; the Fullmetal Alchemist. However, the Elric Brothers are being watched by strange beings known as hommunculus, and find themselves with a dark conspiracy...
fullmetal.jpg

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Various calcs of FMA (of the manga).

A calc relating to the Brotherhood anime.

If there are any other FMA calcs I hope to do or redo/revise, I will post them here;

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
You really need to calc the yield of Father forcefully surprising Amestrian Alchemy which uses the energy of tectonic shifts as a source.

Ampchu calced it some years ago and it yeilded some gigatons iirc , but the calc got yeeted by Potato Man so...as it stands, the feat is unexplored.

It would be a nice feat for Father v1 and Hoheneim since he's > Father's first form .

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
You really need to calc the yield of Father forcefully surprising Amestrian Alchemy which uses the energy of tectonic shifts as a source.

Ampchu calced it some years ago and it yeilded some gigatons iirc , but the calc got yeeted by Potato Man so...as it stands, the feat is unexplored.

It would be a nice feat for Father v1 and Hoheneim since he's > Father's first form .
I'm still rewatching it (and haven't had the chance to in two weeks because I've been on holidays), but I'll check it out when I get back to that point).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A map of Amestris from the Brotherhood anime, which has a legend for the size of Amestris, saying it has a surface area of 723,456km^2 and an estimated population density of around 69 people per km^2. The legend would also make Amestris roughly 474km across from East to West (which for a country of 50 million people, is super dense).
Map-of-Amestris.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
I'll just post the manga scans since i happen to have them on hand .

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Should be clear enough.

If there's anything else needed, let me know and i'll fish it up.
So Father was holding Amestris itself tectonically in place to prevent the use of Alchemy? :hm

Type-Rey

Acclaimed
He basically used his PS to surpress the tectonic enegy from being accessed by the Alchemists in Amestris whilst at the same time, providing the energy needed for alchemists to still be able to perform Alchemy albeit at a gimped level.

That's why Father is able to cancel Alchemy in the beginning. He's basically just shutting down his own PS.

Only after Scar and Hoh reversed it with their country wide circle, Alchemists were able to go straight to the original source and gain access to much stronger shit .

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
From the Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Official Guide (volume 1). The Truth resides within an infinite white void (or endless void, 果てなき虚 being the original kanji).
Gate-of-Truth.jpg
(Relevant text)
Gate-of-Truth-copy-2.jpg
Deep within the door lies the Truth. Enveloped in the white infinity, there is a being that calls itself the world and a single heavy door. Those who have attempted human transmutation will arrive in this endless void. He will guide those who are lost in their search for the truth to the truth of the world. In exchange for a toll...
Those who are taken beyond the Gate will have the laws of the Universe hammered into their minds.
(Relevant text)
Gate-of-Truth-copy-3.jpg
Anyone who is taken inside the door will have the laws of the universe hammered into their mind.
Truth is the Universe itself, everyone and no one at the same time and one and the same as God (although this sometimes translated to "in agreement with God" or "equal with God;" the original kanji being 神と同意の, which translates roughly to "meaning the same as God").
(Relevant text)
Gate-of-Truth-copy.jpg
Truth
A being that appeared before Ed and the others. He is the world and the universe, in agreement with God, and everyone and no one at the same time.
I asked a friend who can read Japanese if the above is accurate, and he confirmed the relevant parts of this translation are accurate. As such, we have confirmation (for the anime at least, though I feel there is enough narrative and story context for this to also apply to the original manga) that Truth is infact the entire universe and contains all knowledge within (plus the white void he/she/it resides in is infinite).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Father activates his anti-alchemy powers, which Hoenheim feels from far away (Central City is too far to be seen).
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

21-1.jpg
(From chapter 54)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
This scene only appears in the Brotherhood anime (episode 38), but when Yoki attempts to rob the Armstrong household, Catherine Armstrong picks up a grand piano (with one hand) and throws it at Yoki, sending him (and the grand piano) flying into the sky (he survives this).
22a81ac1-eb31-4078-9fa5-5eecd4aada98.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Respect thread for Edward Elric from the PS2 trilogy (The Broken Angel, The Curse of the Crimson Elixar and The Girl Who Succeeds God). Ulltim_Lifeform made this thread so all credit to them.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The episode description for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood describes the dimension of the false gate (where you end up if Gluttony eats you) as being an endless sea of blood and darkness.
第25話「闇の扉」
グラトニーに飲み込まれてしまったエド。気づいた所は、果てしない血の海と暗闇が広がる不思議な空間であった。なんとかリンと再会するも、脱出の手がかりはなく途方にくれる。やがて彼らは、一緒に飲み込まれたエンヴィーとも再会。エンヴィーはエドたちに、ここがグラトニーの腹の中であり、“お父様”が作った真理の扉の失敗作である事を教え、入ったら最後、二度と出る事はできないと告げるのだった。
Episode 25 “Door of Darkness”
Ed gets swallowed up by Gluttony. What he found was a mysterious space filled with an endless sea of blood and darkness. Although he manages to reunite with Rin, he is at a loss as there is no clue how to escape. Eventually, they reunite with Envy, who was also swallowed. Envy tells Ed and the others that this place is inside Gluttony's belly, and that it is a failed version of the Door of Truth created by "Father", and that once they enter, they will never be able to get out.
(I asked a friend who can read Japanese, and he said that the sentence in question translates to something akin to "What he found was a mysterious space filled with darkness, and an endless sea of blood," so it's pretty much the same).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The backcover for volume 26 of the manga says that Father's ritual to achieve the powers of God reshapes the entire world (I'll need to rewatch/reread the scene in question, but remember that Father did temporarily become a country-sized monster, and the anime version of this feat has been calced in the petatons).
In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Elric lost his arm and his leg, and his brother Alphonse became nothing but a soul in a suit of armor. Equipped with mechanical ""auto-mail"" limbs, Edward becomes a state alchemist, seeking the one thing that can restore his and his brother's bodies...the legendary Philosopher's Stone.

With all the pieces now in his possession, the homunculus "father" executes his master plan as Edward and the others watch in horror. When the dust settles, the entire world has been reshaped. With the help of Hohenheim, the Elric brothers lauch a desperate final attack, but is it all too late...?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Selim Bradley is Pride's vessel for travelling beyond his 'flask' (the tunnel around Amestris). The shadow monster form is its true form.
17.jpg
(From chapter 86)

Pride is trapped within the tunnel that encircles Amestris, and cannot travel far beyond it or the main part of Central City without his vessel (Selim Bradley) or he (it?) will die.
19.jpg

Father seems to hear what Hohenheim is saying when he's talking to Pride (Hohenheim is in Liore, Father is in Central).
22.jpg

23.jpg
(From chapter 78)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the FMA movie The Sacred Star of Milos (Brotherhood continuity), Julia with the Star of Milos is able to flash freeze hundreds of meters of molten lava in seconds.
Julia-cools-lava.gif

However, Ashleigh (Colonel Herschel) brings up lava arms shortly after, which imples she may not have frozen it all the way through (that or he melted it again). In either case, the lava has been cooled with a minimum thickness of being safe enough to walk on.
Ashleigh-lava-attack.gif

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Teleportation is possible with alchemy. However, it only seems to be locally (requiring a city-wide transmutation) and requires several human sacrifices to work. What's more, it only works on those who have opened the Gate of Truth.
35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg
(From chapter 99)

Back