• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Fullmetal Alchemist feats, power & lore analysis thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Gluttony is an artificial portal of Truth, or really, a failed one. The dimension his stomach leads to exists between reality and Truth.
26-1.jpg

Gluttony-s-stomach-between-Reality-and-Truth.jpg
(From chapter 51)

This realm is refered to as a dimension in the manga (the dub of Brotherhood refers to it as a reality).
Gluttony-s-stomach-dimension.jpg
(From chapter 53)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Pride in his true form can rapidly travel through the tunnel system that makes up the giant transmutation circle below Amestris in an unknown but very rapid timeframe (across hundreds of miles).
21.jpg

22-1.jpg
(From chapter 68)

He does this again when Hohenheim enters the tunnel.
14.jpg
Pride easily destroys the stone constructs that Hohenheim sets up to block his way.
15.jpg

16.jpg
(From chapter 78)

As for why Sloth must build the tunnel rather than Pride if Pride can so easily slice through/shatter stone, my own theory is that this is because the tunnel is Pride's flask, and it would die beyond it (thus, it needs someone else to extend the tunnel for it).

Type-Rey

Retired
but FMA being mostly debated in the earlier days of this hobby didn't help much
Truth was being thrown out of debates on grounds of being a background "creator" non combatant like entity which always seemed stupid and hypocritical to me cause it's not like these kinds of fuckers were never used in scenarios ( Eru for example) and Truth is actually active through the story anyway ... He's the one who intervenes and punishes fuckers who try to revive people .

He doesn't do a lot but that's only because he plays by the rules that he created .

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Sloth is the fastest hommunculus, and is noted to move at great speeds despite his size and weight. This would mean that Sloth can move faster than Pride, who can quickly travel across the entirety of Amestris. Thus, even if he can't react at these speeds, Sloth would produce a tremendous amount of kinetic energy.
30.jpg
(From chapter 92)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Hiromu Arakawa herself read and approved the scripts for FullmetalAlchemist: Brotherhood (though not the animation).
Reflections-from-Hiromu-Arakawa-2.jpg
(From Fullmetal Alchemist: 20th Anniversary Book)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Good news! I have obtained the Fullmetal Alchemist guidebooks! If there's anything you'd like me to look into just let me know (though I can't promise there'll actually be anything)! Truth is what makes everything in the world the way it should be, and can even be described as the divine formula of God.
Reaching-the-Truth.jpg
(Relevant text)
7Ux2Zov.jpg
The Truth of the world is God's formula
Truth is what makes everything in the world, including oneself, the way it should be; in other words, it is the formula for reconstructing the world. The Truth that Edward saw was the "memory of the birth of life," such as the history of the Earth, the state of cell division, and the growth of a fetus. In other words, Truth was the divine formula that resides in the body of a living being.
Truth exists inside all living things, and thus there are just as many Doors of Truth. These Doors of Truth may exist to seperate the world of the body from the world of the soul.
Mysteries-of-the-Portal-of-Truth.jpg
(Relevant text)
S4SHYTR.jpg
Truth exists in the bodies of all living beings, and so there are as many Doors of Truth. Those who open the Doors can catch a glimpse of the truth of the world in exchange for the toll of their own bodies. The Doors of Truth may seperate the world of the body and the world of the soul, allowing the soul to reside in the correct body.
Each individual who opens a Door has their own unique door with unique patterns on them. The design on Edward's Door of Truth resembles the Tree of Life.
(Relevant text)
ZBFuGv0.jpg
The difference is probably due to the different doors for different people. The difference is due to the different information in the soul. The pattern and color of the door differs from person to person, and the individual soul.
The design on Edward's door closely resembles a diagram called the "Tree of Life," which shows how life is made.
Gluttony is a failed Gate of Truth, and his stomach gate leads to a dark space between reality and Truth.
nEk0aLM.jpg
The Artificially Created Door of Truth
"Father" attempted to create the Gate of Truth using Gluttony as part of his research, but failed. The Gate leads to a dark space between reality and Truth, and he was unable to reach the correct space. The Gate of Truth should exist in all living beings, but it seems that no door exists in the bodies of hommunculi.
The realm inside Gluttony's 'stomach' is infinite in size, and is refered to as a door to a pseudo-truth.
Gluttony-s-abilities.jpg
(Relevant text)
zYZnvSJ.jpg
The inside of the stomach is a dark, infinite space where the things we swallow are scattered - a door to a pseudo-truth.
Father's anti-alchemy ability covers all of Amestris.
Father-info-2.jpg
(Relevant text)
xOZb4rf.jpg
When the Elric brothers confronted "Father" in the Central underground, not only they but also alchemists on the surface were no longer able to use alchemy. Alchemy in Amestris was based on a fragile foundation that could be sealed away with a single will from "Father".
(Relevant text)
j8lnVGo.jpg
If he wanted to, he could instantly neutralize all the alchemists in Amestris. It was a safety measure to remove anyone who got in his way in case of an emergancy.
Pride can move anywhere in the tunnels below Amestris instantly.
Pride-s-abilities.jpg
(Relevant text)
mBXlbo8.jpg
Though the container is in the center, the main body can instantly move through the tunnels that run throughout the country.
Sloth is the fastest hommunculus (which although he cannot control his movements, would make him faster than Pride or Wrath).
Hommonculi-2.jpg
(Relevant text)
W4Y6u8A.jpg
A lazy, agile and extremely fast hommunculus
Sloth
He is naturally lazy and hates both life and death. Contrary to his stupid appearance, he has been given the power of "fastest speed.' Once he gets serious, no one can stop him.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A respect thread for 2003 Edward Elric (created by doctorgecko in collaboration with lambentenigma & inverseflash, so all due credit to them).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A character very similar in appearence to Dante in her first form (from the 2003 FMA series) appears in episode 58 of Brotherhood.
Dante-FMAB.png

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the 2003 anime, the energy source of alchemy comes from a parallel universe; whenever anyone in our world dies, they become energy to be used by alchemists in the alchemy world.
Source-of-alchemy-1.png

Source-of-alchemy-2.png

Source-of-alchemy-3.png

Source-of-alchemy-4.png
Within the Gate, Ed sees a vision of advent of the nuclear bomb.
Vision-of-the-Bomb-1.png

Vision-of-the-bomb-2.png

Vision-of-the-bomb-3.png

Back