• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

General philosophy Stoicism Marcus Aurelius

Dr. Watson

‣ ↻
Administrator
“It’s unfortunate that this has happened. No. It’s fortunate that this has happened and I’ve remained unharmed.” – Marcus Aurelius

I try not to use double negatives when conveying disappointment or referencing my reaction toward something

I think Aurelius is the living definition of "you are not responsible for someone's else's emotional reactions but you are responsible for your own" mindset

I feel like stoicism gets a bad wrap

Cubey

Threshold of Armageddon
He was cruel and expected others to conform to his brand of sophist nihilism. Not a fan.

DoflaMihawk

Paramount
Men seek retreats for themselves - in the country, by the sea, in the hills - and you yourself are particularly prone to this yearning. But all this is quite unphilosophic, when it is open to you, at any time you want, to retreat into yourself. No retreat offers someone more quiet and relaxation than that into his own mind, especially if he can dip into thoughts there which put him at immediate and complete ease: and by ease I simply mean a well-ordered life. So constantly give yourself this retreat, and renew yourself. The doctrines you will visit there should be few and fundamental, sufficient at one meeting to wash away all your pain and send you back free of resentment at what you must rejoin.

- My favourite passage from The Meditations.

Back