News Section changes

Abolish the 19th Amendment

‣ ↻
Administrator
This forum isn’t going to be a free for all, rootin’ tootin’ Wild West showdown, sorry. So while we allow snippy, snide comments directed at the post content (wherever) itself, we will not allow vicious attacks on users here. This includes you, Nevermind. If someone, even a mod, gets out of line and starts hurling abuse toward you and shoves a firecracker up your ass when you’re not being hostile, it won’t be tolerated.
You may not take offense, or even care, but we do. We’re not going to make exceptions to one user being flamed simply because they have thick skin.

We also highly encourage and really need people here to work with us on reporting issues, rather than us having to keep a hypervigilant eye on things. Which we will do, but we don’t and can’t mindread what’s bothering one user and what’s not bothering the other (or entire section.)
We need, from every one of you, to tell us what is pissing you guys off, who is pissing you guys off, and whether action should be taken (usually, action is taken). And we need to make it abundantly clear we aren’t going to just Thanos a user for being remarkably dumb, either. If the turbo idiocy that includes lashing out and deliberately stirring up reactions is an affront to users and God himself, we’ll talk about it and take - hopefully - immediate action, since those cases require it.
But all of this? S’two way street, my dudes.

4chan is perfect for your Wild West anti-hugbox utopia, but that isn’t going to be part of our brand.

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
But we don’t want OLF to be defined by ‘good’ political content, we want things like the OBD wrestling matches, parodies that aren’t swarmed by controversial geopolitics, reviews that everyone - outside and inside this forum - can be enamored or intrigued by.
I didn't suggest that. Rarely is that content good anyway unless there's interactive maps and a unique angle. Only that taking something away and appearing inoffensive won't do it. Indeed it's better to be controversial than be nothing else other than inoffensive.

I have plans in motion for more content, at least for the OBD brand - a history/educational channel, and a lore/battles channel, and perhaps a manga or Dragon-style publication which the forum can benefit from as host. Turning it into a proper business. I even spoke with an artist I know about it this week.

But I don't want to reveal those plans publicly at this stage. Restricted section or discord/slack or something only.

OBD Brawl will be on Monday at 8.

Last edited:

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
The other sections, however, require respect and a level of respect to eachother. Because anime, gaming, aren’t usually spicy and are easy to integrate into. And some level of heated discourse/debate is allowed, as it always has been, sans flaming. It’s expected. But it doesn’t tend to spark flames on a constant basis, politics does.
That is the difference.
Is this the part where we pretend that Art doesn't generate vitriol as much as politics do?

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
Also it's hilarious how you guys are trying to make this forum a "uwu wholesome" place when 90% of the userbase have gotten into at least 50 flamewars a year at least back in the good old days. My self included.

‣ ↻
Administrator
Also it's hilarious how you guys are trying to make this forum a "uwu wholesome" place when 90% of the userbase have gotten into at least 50 flamewars a year at least back in the good old days. My self included.
you completely missed where I said our goal isn't to be a hugbox, but it isn't our goal to just to be, again, the wild freakin' west either

Is this the part where we pretend that Art doesn't generate vitriol as much as politics do?

not even?
what?
you're throwing out points and ignoring the ones I made that addresses exactly this
art included, yes
but the frequency on THIS particular forum? siginificantly less so because it has almost no traffic, and the news does
That isn't saying "art discourse isn't as heated as politics", it's saying that art discourse holds little relevance on this site
because it's, for real, basically a dead section
if you have receipts that there are constant flamewars between art geeks, lemme see 'em, and show me just how many there are, and why you think it has as much trouble when it comes to heated discourse as the news section

also, receipts to flamewars (recently, at the beginning this was pretty abhorrent and only because - unwisely so - the exception was made to air frustrations out from what happened)
Your claims are true, but to what degree those issues count as flamewars or just heated, rude discourse is the distinction we want to make here

‣ ↻
Administrator
"art is just as heated in debates as politics" is factual, with evidence, but has little to do with OLF

"art on this forum is as heated in debates as is politics" can be factual, in certain circumstances
and by can, I mean it will eventually happen, much like heated discourse can happen in any other section at times depending on the subject matter and how posters address things

But I've also probably missed a bunch since late last year due to irl crises, and haven't been able to go over things that other staff have

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Are you the kind of person who lives in the past constantly? Why anchor yourself to it? People change, perspectives evolve and branch out, opinions you might hold one day could change or be different 5 years down the line. We aren't going to be censoring the news or political discussions on the site but we are going to be migrating it to a different part so the News is just news where as the Roundtable remains the main political section.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator

The vitriol is different.

It's a lot easier to brush aside, brush off, or otherwise get over having personal differences over an anime. Yes we have trolled in the past for the lulz, the old DBS section on NF is an example of that, but it's because of how lesser the stakes are that the DBS section still mostly got along while roasting the hell out of each other with as much venom as each member could muster.

When it comes to fundamental rights, arguing against morals people have grown up with or grown into, building the future, nobody backs down because it's personal. It's not at all the same. In politics people learn to hate one another truly. In politics a difference of opinion often is seen as a reflection of morality and character in the reaction and registered as willful ignorance after the fact.

Nep Nep

Forbidden Boi Kunt
Administrator
Added to the group.

Check the news section now.

@Nep Nep we had a join usergroups add-on, but it's bugged to shit, and the dev hasn't updated it in a hot min. It's on my super long to-do list to fix, unfortunately.

Ah I see. So that's where the options went.

We'll need to make threads for joining the private sections in the meantime then. To facilitate the process.

Reactions: Ral

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
Are you the kind of person who lives in the past constantly? Why anchor yourself to it? People change, perspectives evolve and branch out, opinions you might hold one day could change or be different 5 years down the line. We aren't going to be censoring the news or political discussions on the site but we are going to be migrating it to a different part so the News is just news where as the Roundtable remains the main political section.
Can people change? Yes, people shouldn't be cancelled because they shared a "lol justin Bieber is a fag" meme in 2012

But there's a huge difference between forgiving and Forgetting. I just find it amusing to hear someone who was an enabler like Trin giving these anti bullying Speeches .

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Can people change? Yes, people shouldn't be cancelled because they shared a "lol justin Bieber is a fag" meme in 2012

But there's a huge difference between forgiving and Forgetting. I just find it amusing to hear someone who was an enabler like Trin giving these anti bullying Speeches .
What are you talking about with enablers here exactly? Who was talking about canceling anyone?

Dead Lock

Marvelous
Banned Member
Just nuke the thing tbh. User verification has erased any chances this forum had to grow anyways.

It's not removed though, it's just in a different place where it's not automatically viewable by the public, they have to choose to see it.

Bro, I DO NOT like this in the slightest and it has me... concerned.
I don't even WANT the News Section because I had a feeling it would start turning into the Cafe again... and you want to make it be a SHADOW VERSION OF ITSELF?!

Either get rid of the entire News Section or get off the pot, I'm with @Nevermind on this one. We already have major issues with the forum as is and it's not with the guests or "lack of participation" as it definitely feels more like people cannot participate with their takes without being ran out.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
We already have major issues with the forum as is and it's not with the guests or "lack of participation" as it definitely feels more like people cannot participate with their takes without being ran out.
who was ran out?

Back