• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

OBD Convo #25: Merry Christmas!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve started reading the Elminster series books. Elminster is an interesting main character. The first book is an ok action-fantasy read. The story seemed rushed and awkwardly progressed from one obstacle or subplot to the next. The plot revolves around Elminster as a young man whose village and family are destroyed by a magelord riding a dragon. Shortly after, the youth, Elminster, is urged by a knight to become an outlaw and a thief. The knight's reasoning was this lifestyle would make Elminster a good sword handler, give him the ability to fight and defend himself, and give him the ability to be smart in split-second decision-making. The story is a revenge story as Elminster is determined to destroy magelords and evil wizards that destroyed his life in the beginning. Elminster initially hates magic and then eventually, by desperate chance, meets Mystra, the Goddess of All Magic. Elminster learns the true meaning and purpose of magic from teachers and adventure and also that it could be used for good instead of evil intentions. Eventually, respecting magic.

Claudio Swiss

Luminous
V.I.P. Member
Man I'm fucking tired
>tons of fucking carts spread out
>a fellow cart attendant called out due to health issues meaning schedules had to be changed
>be the only guy out there getting carts in the afternoon because why not
>pull a cart that was bit car and it accidently hit the guy's car
>dude yells at me and wants to tell the manager and wants to go see if his car got damaged
im tired man

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Sorry you have to deal with that shit man. Hope you can at least enjoy the rest of Christmas after.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
I had to run the station completely alone today and I have a double shift scheduled for tomorrow

I'm seriously considering calling in sick because I know my coworkers just went out and got smashed and didn't come to work because of it.

Medical reasons I'm fine with covering. Personal fuckups/stupid decisions, that's 10000% on you and I'm not gonna get fucked over because of someone else's stupid ass choices

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
@Papa Nier Remind me, does Elminster have any preferred spells he uses often, or at least certain schools of magic/types of spells?

Besides Elminster's Evasion, obviously.

Was thinking of planning out a sort of Elminster build for Dark & Darker in the future, when more perks/skills/spells get added.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's some real bullshit there and to be frank, I would recommend you to do that.

@Papa Nier Remind me, does Elminster have any preferred spells he uses often?

Besides Elminster's Evasion, obviously.
In the first book he has spells like Fly, Hold Person, Lesser Ironguard, and spells that generate light or fire. He seems to prefer subtle spells. He wields enormous supernatural power and his magic operates on a different plane from the rest of the characters. There are instances like moving air to slow a free-falling elevator or creating ice to float himself out of the water while drowning.

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
Elminster should know every Cleric spell up to 2nd level. Wizards can learn spells that classify as Wizard spells by writing them down in their spellbooks.

There is no official statblock for Elminster in 5e apart from this homebrew one.
>more health than an adult dragon

Damn.

Paxton

V.I.P. Member
Man, I love playing Mono Blue Tempo in Arena.

The salt emanating from my opponents is delicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.