OBD Convo #25: Merry Christmas!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Fun fact: Ichigo and Shirou Emiya (Fate) actually remind me a fair bit of each other, to the point I've mixed up their names at times.
:smh

Like aside from super surface level shit, what exactly is so similar about them? They're both school aged teenagers whose personalities are largely informed by a trauma they suffered as children, and they are (at least initially) unwilling to involve themselves in the supernatural shenanigans they get dragged into.

That about sums up the similarities and even THOSE come with a whole bunch of huge fucking BUTS the second you look into the actual context of those events. You can paint in broad strokes to make them seem SIMILAR but the second you look at the details, that comparison falls flat on its face.

An example of a similar thing would be Dante (Devil May Cry) and Yuri (Shadow Hearts). If you described their backstories, initial goals and even their introductions in their games to someone, they'd sound very similar to each other. The second you look at the details of their stories and how they develop however, that completely falls apart and it becomes very obvious these are two completely different characters.

A few similarities don't make them similar characters at all.

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

Like aside from super surface level shit, what exactly is so similar about them? They're both school aged teenagers whose personalities are largely informed by a trauma they suffered as children, and they are (at least initially) unwilling to involve themselves in the supernatural shenanigans they get dragged into.

That about sums up the similarities and even THOSE come with a whole bunch of huge fucking BUTS the second you look into the actual context of those events. You can paint in broad strokes to make them seem SIMILAR but the second you look at the details, that comparison falls flat on its face.

An example of a similar thing would be Dante (Devil May Cry) and Yuri (Shadow Hearts). If you described their backstories, initial goals and even their introductions in their games to someone, they'd sound very similar to each other. The second you look at the details of their stories and how they develop however, that completely falls apart and it becomes very obvious these are two completely different characters.

Wdym every other shounen protag isn't Goku? :mjpls

Looking at the topic and my honest thoughts:

Ichigo is a 3/5. I think people give him way too much shit and give other protagonists too much leeway because of "badass credentials" despite them having nothing else but that(fucking Saitama).

Ichigo is ultimately middle of the road, he has alot of issues(Losing too much, seems to get bailed out too much by Kubo then by his own character, seems to not matter as much as he should(okay, this isn't a real negative but protagonists should matter to their story alot, not to bending the World to their whim level but actually feel like the center of the story)
but I also believe he has alot of plus's(He doesn't have some retarded "I wanna be the X" logic that usually stifles protagonists, he rarely gets powerups from his ass unlike other protagonists and alot of his issues are due to his deep-seated mental issues rather than being actual physical hangups).

He's not like Naruto where he actually had some real backing but the entire Universe bends over backwards to give Naruto everything at the tail end of the series or Luffy where the story tells us one thing but what we see shows us an idiot who just overpowers everything due to his strength.
Hell, I would genuinely put Ichigo above a few protagonists we constantly push because again, I don't put "BADASS" on the top of the list because anyone can be badass, that alone doesn't make them characters.

But to the honest point, Ichigo isn't Shirou, Ichigo wouldn't last 5 days being in Shirou's shoes and while I wouldn't say Shirou is the better protagonist than Ichigo completely, he's definitely more defined than Ichigo.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
armored_core-armored-core.gif

Nevermind

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member

The character designs from 80s and 90s were just a lot better. Shit's too childish today. That's the look and feel I want for the comic in my mind. And have now been writing down. I wonder if any of you guys can do that kind of stuff. I want a late 80s/early 90s cyberpunk feel.

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Nothing really wrong with Ichigo, but he's bland in a lot of ways, which in a weird way makes him more normal. As more people are more bland than they realize.

Also Ichigo's iconic moments don't usually stack well with his contemporiers. While good they don't resonate with the community as much as the others,

And I understand why Luffy is well recieved but I never understood why people like Naruto post skip.

I just can't get the image of him hypervenilating out of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back