• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

One Piece Tier/Feat/Canon/Toei Discussion Thread Part 3: Road to star level

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Oda did a really bad job at portraying Kidd and Law as equals.

Kidd came into this fight looking stronger than Law, and left looking like he was carried like a Gucci bag.

GregSteve

Bakugou died for your lmao's
V.I.P. Member
I don't Kidd's portrayal was bad it just wasn't Law or Luffy good that being said though it is curious what they do with Kidd from here on out because what's the next step for his goal besides fighting for the One Piece or maybe attacking Marineford in an all out war

I know that Wano already has enough flashbacks with Oden’s Flashback, Yamato’s Flashback and Kaido’s potential flashback

so I get that Kidd wouldn’t get a flashback

by the same token, when WOULD Kidd get a flashback, exactly? Law got his own flashback back in Dressrossa that deepened his character and made people care more

So its not just that Kidd didn’t look that impressive compared to Law, but that there is nothing in Wano that deepens his character or sets him apart from his peers. Even his Conquerors Haki was never actually shown.

It feels like he was only here to help defeat the Yonko. Extra Muscle for Luffy

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Kid's not as popular as Oda wanted him to be. So who knows. Law essentially just ran away with his own popularity to the point Oda was amazed.

Kid has not, and it seems still has not.

Great Potato

Preeminent
I know that Wano already has enough flashbacks with Oden’s Flashback, Yamato’s Flashback and Kaido’s potential flashback

by the same token, when WOULD Kidd get a flashback, exactly? Law got his own flashback back in Dressrossa that deepened his character and made people care more

So its not just that Kidd didn’t look that impressive compared to Law, but that there is nothing in Wano that deepens his character or sets him apart from his peers. Even his Conquerors Haki was never actually shown.

Big missed opportunity here is that Oda set up conflict between Kid and Big Mom prior only to do nothing with it.

All the way back in FI we heard that Big Mom was financially recovering from an attack by Kid that sunk two of her ships, and at the prison Kid tells us he beat up one of her sweet commanders and stole something of value from her.

Not once is any of this even brought up or elaborated upon when Oda has Kid actually fight Big Mom.

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
He planned Kid to be a foil. But I don’t think he planned Kidd to be popular at all. If he did, he would have put Kidd more screen time in Pre-Time Skip.

Pretty sure Law is more has more to do in pre-time skip to the main plot than Kidd
Not really.

All the Novas were created at the same time. He had plans for Kidd, but not so much for Law. However because Law was so instantly popular Oda added him more to the plot to the point where the overwhelmingly majority of OP fans in a poll last year said Law was Luffy's biggest rival.

Kidd may have a purpose, but Law's popularity kinda forced Oda to give him a massive role in the story. Plus Oda clearly likes Law better than Kidd.

El Hermano

Acclaimed

He's probably saving Kid's flashback for a greater reveal. I think he might actually be related to Vegapunk. His illustration as a child depicts him with a robot he seems to have built by himself, and yes, not every scientist/tech enthusiast has to be related to Vegapunk but this could make sense. We know next to nothing about Kid's origins at this point, so everything's possible.

I think Wano is for Kid what PH was for Law - to establish him as a character and reveal his real intentions and motives, leading up to a flashback. Problem is, he's getting a bit lost in this massive arc where so much is happening that you kinda really dismiss Kid because you don't really know him, and this is not the case with the main cast of this arc - most of them have been introduced far later but were established quicker because this arc is very personal for them. Obviosuly, they were given more time to shine and them shining has an impact. Kid is there because Kaido simply captured him and tried to break him.

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Where should I put-

Awakened Law
Awakened Kidd
Haoshoku Zoro
Zunisha
Haoshoku Yamato

In the tier list. Zunisha should probably be sitting at the Yonkou tier to be honest based purely on size alone right?

Great Potato

Preeminent
I don't think Oda hates Kid or wants us to view his stuff as less impressive, I think he just often isn't great at making attacks look as impressive as they are supposed to be. We know Punk Corna Dio is meant to be a very powerful attack that can deal big damage to Big Mom and have her desperate to avoid getting struck by it twice... but then it gets defended against by a tower.

It's the same thing where Diamante busted out some garbage looking confetti cannon as his ultimate technique, while Gladius who was intended to be a good deal weaker than him was nuking massive portions of the plateau. It's something we just have to accept sometimes and scale off how the characters are responding to it.

Where should I put-

Awakened Law
Awakened Kidd
Haoshoku Zoro
Zunisha
Haoshoku Yamato

In the tier list. Zunisha should probably be sitting at the Yonkou tier to be honest based purely on size alone right?

Probably. Outside of size, Zunisha is a Joyboy crewmate who may be an Ancient Weapon, it would be weird if he wasn't floating somewhere around that vicinity.

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
I don't think Oda hates Kid or wants us to view his stuff as less impressive, I think he just often isn't great at making attacks look as impressive as they are supposed to be. We know Punk Corna Dio is meant to be a very powerful attack that can deal big damage to Big Mom and have her desperate to avoid getting struck by it twice... but then it gets defended against by a tower.

It's the same thing where Diamante busted out some garbage looking confetti cannon as his ultimate technique, while Gladius who was intended to be a good deal weaker than him was nuking massive portions of the plateau. It's something we just have to accept sometimes and scale off how the characters are responding to it.

Probably. Outside of size, Zunisha is a Joyboy crewmate who may be an Ancient Weapon, it would be weird if he wasn't floating somewhere around that vicinity.
It’s also kinda annoying how Kidd repeated the same excuse whenever his mechs got easily sliced through. Both with Punk Rotten’s arm getting sliced by Kaido’s Demolition Gust and Big Mom slicing Punk Corna Dio in half he just said “it’s just junk!!!”. It felt like he was trying to downplay his opponents attacks but only made it more confusing why these techniques that are supposedly “just junk” aren’t instantly breaking apart hitting the insanely hard bodies of Yonkous. Also made it feel like if either Yonkou had just kept using their respective cutting technique Kidd would eventually be out of usable junk and end up getting sliced himself.

Theoretically if Law and Kidd together before the bombs pushed Big Mom to high-high or low-extreme diff (since while she was damaged she wasn’t about to be KOd by their final attacks).

Than if they had fought her 1v1 the whole time they should at least be giving her maybe the upper end of mid-diff. But with Kidd it felt like his mechs were so weak to Yonkou level cutting attacks that if Big Mom just continually uses the Maser Cannon sword from the start she’ll quickly cut through all his shit and Kidd himself before too long.

Great Potato

Preeminent
It’s also kinda annoying how Kidd repeated the same excuse whenever his mechs got easily sliced through. Both with Punk Rotten’s arm getting sliced by Kaido’s Demolition Gust and Big Mom slicing Punk Corna Dio in half he just said “it’s just junk!!!”. It felt like he was trying to downplay his opponents attacks but only made it more confusing why these techniques that are supposedly “just junk” aren’t instantly breaking apart hitting the insanely hard bodies of Yonkous. Also made it feel like if either Yonkou had just kept using their respective cutting technique Kidd would eventually be out of usable junk and end up getting sliced himself.

Theoretically if Law and Kidd together before the bombs pushed Big Mom to high-high or low-extreme diff (since while she was damaged she wasn’t about to be KOd by their final attacks).

Than if they had fought her 1v1 the whole time they should at least be giving her maybe the upper end of mid-diff. But with Kidd it felt like his mechs were so weak to Yonkou level cutting attacks that if Big Mom just continually uses the Maser Cannon sword from the start she’ll quickly cut through all his shit and Kidd himself before too long.

The goal was to show that Kid has a Buggy like quality to his mechs, so he doesn't care if they are cut apart because he can just easily stick it right back together no sweat, which he immediately showcased in both instances by just piecing it back together good as new. BM cuts the bull and a second later its in perfect condition again doing another charge.

It's not so much downplaying the enemy attacks for only cutting mere junk, but rather letting them know that they didn't actually accomplish anything by doing that because its not a traditional mech like the shogun where that kind of damaged would have ruined it.

Last edited:

MrBopo

Paramount

Kidds scrap metal is meant to parrell Luffy's being rubber and being able to bounce from defeat.

Kidd gets defeat and just gets up and puts himself back together

xenos5

Objectionable Objection
V.I.P. Member
The goal was to show that Kid has a Buggy like quality to his mechs, so he doesn't care if they are cut apart because he can just easily stick it right back together no sweat, which he immediately showcased in both instances by just piecing it back together good as new. BM cuts the bull and a second later its in perfect condition again doing another charge.

It's not so much downplaying the enemy attacks for only cutting mere junk, but rather letting them know that they didn't actually accomplish anything by doing that because its not a traditional mech like the shogun where that kind of damaged would have ruined it.
Iirc in the case with Punk Corna Dio didn't he not stick it back together but just sent the remaining half of it left at her?

GregSteve

Bakugou died for your lmao's
V.I.P. Member
Where should I put-

Awakened Law
Awakened Kidd
Haoshoku Zoro
Zunisha
Haoshoku Yamato

Minus Zunisha they're probably in the lower top tier since they can compete with any top tier but 1v1 would probably fail to beat them

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Everyone on Reddit saying it'll be weird when Law eventually has to leave the series. And when I looked at his panel time to date he's basically a SH at this point.

He is too fleshed out and popular of a character to just leave and then back for the final saga.

I think if anything his goal will be to travel the world and collect the poneglyph's. Cause there is no way Robin has read all of them.

Back