Suggestion Resolved Pronouns field in profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

So unreliable.
Pronouns
She/Her
Please. The number of times I've had to frame a question or phrase while avoiding pronouns because no one makes theirs clear is just too many

Reactions: Ral

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
If people are doing it deliberately you should report them

I don't really think we need them at all, they just come off as obnoxious.
Unless someone is being an ass deliberately with screwing with people when it comes to that, it's not needed. If someone wants to be addressed in a certain way, they'll tell you or not themselves.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I believe it would be a good idea to add it as an optional field on the forum, allowing users to display it on their profiles and under their avatar area in posts. I value inclusiveness and respect for all gender identities and affirmations, as it promotes a more inclusive community for individuals of all genders and roles.

If someone wants to be addressed in a certain way, they'll tell you or not themselves.

Introducing this option helps prevent non-malicious users from mistakenly assuming someone's gender. In the past, such situations occurred frequently, and while times have changed, slip-ups can still happen, both on my part and that of others on this forum. Some users may even choose not to correct such assumptions, and others can be easily offended by them. It's a double-edged sword, no matter how you look at it. It took me a long time to understand the sensitivity of gender identity, and I aim to promote inclusiveness for all community members. Of course, this comes with the condition that it isn't misused by individuals who falsely represent themselves as a different gender for malicious purposes.

Last edited:

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
this seems good for anyone who wants to use it, making it an optional thing to put on profile seems good

It's the internet and we're all anonymous here, so there's no reason to really assume anything about anybody, so I can't really see this being abused.

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
Of course, this comes with the condition that it isn't misused by individuals who falsely represent themselves as a different gender for malicious purposes.
I am an expert at catching catfishes

• Sus

Goth Boy

King of the losers
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
I could have easily catfished everyone here had I wanted to

From experience

• Doubt

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
This will have to involve some custom work with our current styles, it seems. Nothing too challenging, other than getting it to look right on mobile.

RDK

Marvelous
Agreed. This is not a safe space and as for me I feel that we need to foster more inclusivity if we are ever going to move forward as a community

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Alright, so this is what I have set up on one of my testing instances. Please let me know if I need to add or update anything else regarding this new additional field.

You can view the setup here: Pronouns Custom Field

Note that the field will only appear on your user profile or posts if you select any of the options, and it will look similar to the rest of the fields under your avatar in your post on most styles here.

Please also let me know if you prefer the spacing between the pronouns, such as "They / Them / Theirs", or if you'd like them presented without spaces, like "They/Them/Theirs". Lastly, if we need to add more pronouns to the list, those can always be added later at any time.

Last edited:

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
@Sky pronouns selection is now available in your "Account Details" section within "Account Settings".

For now, this new field and its value will be displayed on the "About" tab under your user profile. I'm currently working on optimizing its appearance for both desktop and mobile. Once that's done, I'll implement the custom field across all forum styles (with the exclusion of the default "OLF Dark" style which has custom fields support already enabled), ensuring your chosen pronouns are visible under your avatar when you post.

The choices you can select from now should encompass both binary and non-binary situations. 'Username Only' should also cover non-binary choices.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
Why no they/them pronouns
Also what can we do to prevent apache/helicopter
I can add they/them too.

"Username Only" covers everything that is non-binary which also includes military SOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOISOI's.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
@T-Pein™ I've added they/them.

I will not be adding any additional pronouns because of the exhaustive list of existing ones and the possibility of new ones being created in the future.

Here is the final list:
1. He/Him
2. She/Her
3. They/Them
4. Username Only - Refer to the user by their username, either by mentioning them or by using the non-mention method, like "T-Pein".

Seeing as this suggestion/request has been fulfilled, I am going to close/lock this thread now to avoid any further shitposting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back