• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Remembrance of Earth's Past feats, power & lore discussion thread

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After the Doomsday Battle, the droplet approaches the Earth at speeds of 75 kilometers per second.
On the car’s television, they saw that the droplet was approaching Earth at a speed of seventy-five kilometers per second and showed no sign of slowing. At that rate, it would arrive in three hours.
The droplet sends a powerful electromagnetic wave directly at the Sun with an intensity that far exceeds the Suns amplification threshold, and thus, humanity is prevented from using the Sun as a method to transmit messages to the Universe.
(From The Dark Forest)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After the droplets destroy all the gravitational wave antennae (and with them the Dark Forest Deterance System), another fleet is sent from Trisolaris, this one of 415 ships. However, due to the technological and scientific advances of the Trisolarans in that time, their ships are now capable of reaching lightspeed.
The second Trisolaran fleet only enters lightspeed after leaving the Trisolaran system and before entering the Solar System, and the reason concluded for this is so as not to harm either star system. This would also mean that the power generated by the lightspeed drives are a staggering two orders of magnitude greater than a star.
(From Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
At the end of the Deterrence Era, humanities fleet has only just over 100 stellar-class warships, and it takes a year of acceleration to reach their full speed of 15% the speed of light. To the contrary, the ships of the Trisolarans second fleet can leap into lightspeed without a prolonged process of acceleration.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
After the Gravity and the Blue Space expose the location of Trisolaris and the Solar System to the Dark Forest, a hunter retaliates, and Trisolaris is destroyed, causing a blinding light visible on Earth over 4 lightyears away that lasts for around half an hour.
The process of the annihilation of Trisolaris; the photoid strikes the star that Trisolaris is currently orbiting, creating a hole 50,000km across and ejecting a part of the stars core into space, which reaches the orbit of Trisolaris in 4 hours (over a distance of 0.6 AU).
Trisolaris falls into the sun, and shortly after that, due to there being less mass and slower fusion in the stars core, the star collapses and explodes.
The ensuring supernova wipes out everything in the planetary system, the vast majority of spaceships and space habitats were vaporized as they tried to escape. Only a small number of lucky survivors managed to escape as they were behind the other two suns when the star exploded.
Including the two fleets, only a thousanth of all the people of Trisolaris survived.
(All of the above is from Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The star of the Trisolaran System that was destroyed was very similar to the Sun in terms of mass and position in the main sequence, allowing humanity to calculate the possibilities of a photoid striking the Sun and the energy it would produce and its effects on the planets of the Solar System.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Droplets have a mass of less than 10 tons (or over 9 tons).
“What is its mass?” Ding Yi asked.
“We don’t have an exact value right now. A rough value, obtained through high-precision gravitational instruments, is less than ten tons.”
(From The Dark Forest)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
As the different stellar-class warships of the combined fleet are destroyed by the droplet in the Doomsday Battle, they are repeatedly referred to as weighing a million tons each.
Most of the fragments scattered through space in storms of exploded debris were liquid metal melted by the high-temperature nuclear blasts, upward of a million tons melted in the destruction of each ship.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The Gravity is 1500m (1.5km) long.
Further reference to the Gravity being over 1km long.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Trisolaris resides in the Alpha Centauri system, just over 4.3 lightyears away from Earth.
(From The Three-Body Problem)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the Broadcast Era, stellar hydrogen bombs have a yield of around 300 megatons.
The power of nuclear bombs was no longer measured in TNT-equivalents, but this bomb’s yield would be approximately three hundred megatons.
(From Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the Bunker Era, most of humanity live in bunker cities hiding behind the four gas giants (incase of a photoid strike on the Sun). One of these cities, Space City Asia I, is a cylinder 30km long and has a diameter of 7km, with an interior surface area of 659km^2.
Asia I used to have a population of over 20 million, but currently has a population of 9 million.
North America I is another Space City in the shape of a sphere with a single miniature sun in the middle, and gravity the strongest in the middle and weaker at the edged.
Buildings near the edge of North America I can be built as tall as 10km tall due to the low-gravity.
North America I has a radius of 20km (and thus a diameter of 40km) and a population of 20 million, making it the most populated of the space cities.
North America I had been completed early on. With a radius of twenty kilometers and twenty million inhabitants, it was the largest city by population. It acted as the prosperous commercial center for all the Jovian cities.
Most space cities of the Bunker Worlds have an equitorial ocean (with water from Europa), and circumnavigating these seas on boats is possible. Sometimes when the city has to engage in unexpected maneuvers, small scale flooding will occur.
Europe IV is football-shaped and is 40km long. It has multiple artificial suns, one for each segment, and it's axis is one long building.
Europe IV has the smallest population of all the space cities (or at least all the large space cities) with a population of 4.5 million, and it is the wealthiest of space cities, with there being yachts in it's equitorial sea.
Some space cities are built not fur human habitation, but rather for industry and agriculture. Resource I, for example is 120km long and 3km wide, and rather than rotating on it's axis it tumbles around its centre. Multiple space cities like this can be combined into crosses or stars.
The biggest combined city is in Neptunes shadow, and combines four space cities for a total length of 200km. These cities can uncombine in an emergancy (such as a Dark Forest Strike).
The space cities are in orbit around the Sun rather than around the gas giants they hide behind (so as to better protect them from a Dark Forest strike), and occasssionally they have to reactivate their thrusts and push away to avoid falling into the planets gravity).
There are a total of 26 space cities in the Bunker World of Jupiter, with another 4 being planned for construction.
There are another 38 space cities in other Bunker Worlds behind the other gas giants; 26 behind Saturn, 4 behind Uranus and 8 behind Neptune.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Bathing in the Broadcast Era involves supersonic waves and cleaning agents composed of nanobots, which could be used with or without water.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In previous eras (such as the Broadcast Era), people had self-cleaning clothes. However, in the Bunker Era, such technology appears to no longer be in use.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Late in the Crisis Era, humanity has clothing which has changable images and patterns on them.
(From The Dark Forest)

As of the Deterrence Era, only children dress in animated clothing.
“Before the Deterrence Era, clothes with animated images were popular. Back then, everyone looked like blinking Christmas trees, but now, only children dress like that. Classical looks are in vogue again.”
(From Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Cities in the Crisis Era are built underground and take the form of great forests.
The city of Beijing is 1km below the surface.
(From The Dark Forest)

In the Deterrence Era, these giant tree buildings are built on the surface. Sophon's house is also able to generate a white cloud around it.
The tree building that Sophon lives in is 400m tall.
At its peak, the congregation was a group several times larger than that of pilgrims in Mecca, forming an endless sea. Sophon’s house hung in the air about four hundred meters above the crowd.
(From Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
In the Halo space city, the soldiers posses rifles which can not only hit a target from 2000km away, but which contain antimatter inside each bullet.
The Halo space city used the circumsolar particle accelerator to make this antimatter, and they now posses over 15,000 of these bullets.
A single mishap would be enough to destroy the entire Halo space city.
She now worried about the reliability of the containment magnetic field within that superconducting bullet: a single malfunction would be enough to cause the complete destruction of Halo City in a brilliant flash.
A single antimatter bullet is enough to take out an entire warship. What's more, Halo has secret agents in multiple other space cities armed with antimatter bullets.
A single one of these antimatter bullets would cause a massive explosion that would instantly tear apart the shell of a space city and incinerate everything within.
(From Death's End)

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
The circumsolar particle accelerator is a colossal particle accelerator that spans the orbit of Jupiter. However, it's not one physical object, but 3200 coils in space, each a distance of about 1,500,000km from each other.
The circumsolar particle accelerator can accelerate a particle to the energy level of the Big Bang (in this case, I believe this means 'the level that individual particles possessed during the Big Bang rather than 'energy equal to the birth of a universe'). Even as such, the energy is tremendous; once a lost freighter passed through the orbit and was instantly vaporized, along with it's several million tons of mineral ore.

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Dualpoint-Vector Foil (or 2D foil) is the most terrifying weapon in the known universe. It can collapse objects in the third dimension into the second dimension. It is launched by an entity known as Singer, as using a mass dot (photoid) might leave something behind..
The 2D foil starts to unfold, converting everything that touches it into a 2D plane with no depth. Just as 4D space can unfold into 3D space, 3D space unfolds into 2D space.
The escape velocity of the 2D foil is the speed of light, and thus only a curvature lightspeed engine can be used to escape it.
The entire Solar System within the Kuiper belt will collapse into the 2nd dimension in 8 to 10 days.
“The entire Solar System within the Kuiper Belt will collapse into two dimensions in eight to ten days.”
Neptune and Saturn are converted to 2 dimensions.
The Sun itself unravels into the 2nd dimensional plane, its blazing power affecting the rest of the flattened Solar System with it's power and gravity.
After the collapse into the 2D plane, parts of the outermost layers of the solar atmosphere escape the Sun, and drift off further into the two-dimensional universe.
The Sun in the 2nd dimension quickly looses it's light, and it affects the flattened planets of the Solar System with it's gravity.
It is possible that life exists in the 2D universe, but it would have to be created and operate under completely different laws to the 3rd dimension.
Perhaps a two-dimensional universe could possess its own sun, planets, and life, but they would have to be created and operate under completely different principles.
The space city of Europe VI collapses into the 2nd dimension in less than 10 minutes.
The lonely, three-dimensional island continued to sink and melt into the two-dimensional sea. In less than ten minutes, all of Europe VI had turned into a painting.
Such is the unravelling of the Solar System that every individual atom is unfolded on the depthless plane.
However, the most terrifying aspect of the Dualpoint-Vector Foil is the fact it does not stop. Eventually, it will reach those who launched the attack, and their world will fall into the 2nd dimension too.
The only known way to survive this attack is to transform oneself, so as to be able to survive in the 2D universe.
This seems to be exactly what the race of Singer was planning (or had already done).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A spaceship with lightspeed curvature engines can warp the very fabric of space itself, and these can range in size from 15 AU to 200 AU.
In the wake of these curvature engines, the speed of light itself is slowed, as space itself is being warped. For example, in the Halo's wake, the speed of light in the vaccuum is lowered to 16.7km a second.
At the speed of light, a journey of 287 lightyears takes 52 hours (even though outside, 287 years have passed).

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Within 3D space space are small areas (or relatively small, as each area is still many AUs across) of surviving areas of 4D. This dimension isn't truly lost, as it will curl up with the other higher dimensions in the quantum realm. All higher dimensional matter, however, will be unfolded into the 3rd dimension. Something a mere few tens of grams in 4D space can be unfolded across 10,000s of km in 3D space.