• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Squid Game

Leng

Illustrious
It's very good, would agree it takes a bit of time to really get full strength but I think it's worthy of the hype. I know there are similar ideas but it delivers for more than concept.

I did have to watch it sooner rather than later just to avoid the references spreading and spoiling.

Reactions: Ral

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
The milf? :geezuspepe
Yah she was wylin lmao not even sure she even had a kid to begin with cause she was trollin the entire time. There are some hidden gems that represent the games during the game timeout that you'd probably would even have thought about after the first run.

alive

& healthy
I thought this was a generally good show. Very moving, lots of tightly-written characters, strong creative vision and a pretty focused take on the Death Battle / Battle Royale genre as a whole. Some brilliant cinematography too, the first game and the night-time massacre stand out in that regard.

Sadly it drops considerably in quality after the sixth episode. A lot of subplots fall flat and a surprising amount of K-Drama shenanigans suddenly gets shoved into the story. The big twists were obvious and not very compelling, and many parts of the setting don't stand up well to scrutiny.

I still very much liked it, but it's the type of series where I felt a bit disappointed not because it was bad, but because it was ultimately just 'good' when it could have been monumental.

Squid Game was the first foray into this genre for a lot of people. For those I'd absolutely recommend checking out Alice in Borderland, Kaiji, Liar Game, Danganronpa and Zero Escape.

Kronky’s New Groove

Pretty Much An Avenger
Despite having very few traditionally likable characters, the lead made up for it and overall series was pretty good but...

Had a strong feeling Oh Il-nam was involved all along. Don't recall seeing him being gassed like many others, they didn't show him actually being chained and locked into the tug of war rope [his arms conveniently covered up a lot in the shot where it panned over all of them], not shown being killed after the marble game... just far too many coincidences. I could've taken not showing his death alone as being used for dramatic effect but everything together was a little suspect.

I've also seen a lot of people getting really upset at this being compared to Parasite thinking it's just because it's Korean but I guess the whole point of the economic state of South Korea between the privileged and those in debt that even the damn creator of the series talked about it (and the fact that he wrote it while in a state of financial strife) was just so obvious that some people ignored it?

Either way... now I just need to patiently wait for season 2 of Sweet Home on my girl Lee Si-young. :cat

1477038.jpg

Leng

Illustrious
Despite having very few traditionally likable characters, the lead made up for it and overall series was pretty good but...

Had a strong feeling Oh Il-nam was involved all along. Don't recall seeing him being gassed like many others, they didn't show him actually being chained and locked into the tug of war rope [his arms conveniently covered up a lot in the shot where it panned over all of them], not shown being killed after the marble game... just far too many coincidences. I could've taken not showing his death alone as being used for dramatic effect but everything together was a little suspect.

I've also seen a lot of people getting really upset at this being compared to Parasite thinking it's just because it's Korean but I guess the whole point of the economic state of South Korea between the privileged and those in debt that even the damn creator of the series talked about it (and the fact that he wrote it while in a state of financial strife) was just so obvious that some people ignored it?

Either way... now I just need to patiently wait for season 2 of Sweet Home on my girl Lee Si-young. :cat
As you say, the creator has been quite upfront about references. It's not like the Hunger Games where the author was apparently closed off to the world and oblivious to the more blatant ripping off. With Squid Game it's clear that the unique element is the approach therein, which is fine.

Personally I didn't catch the ending spoiler you mentioned until it was revealed, it did a pretty good job of keeping me on my toes.

Jesse Pinkman

Preeminent
Finished it I would say this series solid 8/10 .

The lore around old children's game morphed into something really dangerous stuff . The story also highlights the struggles of each player in this game that connects you deeply .

Of course the big bad villain i will not mention here the character really intrigued me . Their motivation are still unclear why they did so we will know in season 2 .

OLK

Yah she was wylin lmao not even sure she even had a kid to begin with cause she was trollin the entire time. There are some hidden gems that represent the games during the game timeout that you'd probably would even have thought about after the first run.
She seems like the type who'd make up an entire backstory just to get ahead

• Skully
Reactions: Ral

E

She didnt study but shes still smart..or something

There actually was an article all like "things lost in traslation" or something and that line had to be explained lel

Back