Answered Resolved Would you like to have the ability to delete your account here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I've been recently giving it some thought given recent events with the migration from NF/FV to OLF to where I wanted to get community feedback on a very serious question.

Would you like to have the ability to delete your account here?

It's as simple a that, an option in your account settings to delete your own account, optionally be renamed to "Delete member #XXX", with a delay of 7 days before the action actually takes place. There will be a confirmation screen and ability to leave a reason when you perform this action, so that staff knows it was by your choosing and action.

We are discussing internally about this topic, but I felt that you all deserve a chance to let us know if this is an option you would want to have here.

I will also be creating another topic with regards to downloading your own data such as threads, posts, and conversations. There will also be an added option we can enable to allow any group we specify with the ability to download threads created by other users. There will be a coo-down for this other feature, but we can discuss more in detail when I created that thread. Me stating it now should simply let you know that you can secure your data if you decide to dippity dip one day.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
sure, i think having the option is good. could think of a lot of valid reasons why someone would want to do that.

Reactions: Ral

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
tbh, this option should exist by default in every forum

i know the easiest way is to change passwords and make it look as you forget to log in the place, or the simplest way is just don't post and forget it

but

there are people who might get distracted a lot, and want other alternative ways to do it, for their own reasons

so yeah, this option should be part of the choices too, that's how each poster, can decide what do to about this later, by thinking carefully and without having to ask from the smods to ban them and then unban them or having extra stress for a thing, that shouldn't have

if somebody takes the choice to delete the account, he deletes the account and that's it

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
I don't like it personally. You might delete your account one day then a week later regret it, instead of requesting a vacation ban or something instead.

Bump

Lurking
V.I.P. Member
I don't like it personally. You might delete your account one day then a week later regret it, instead of requesting a vacation ban or something instead.

I agree with this statement, they have plenty times that ive "quit" a forum. I think if a person wants to delete their account it should go into a special ban and if they ever wish to re activate it have a section only open to people in that special ban to request back activation of their account.

E

Example

Unconfirmed
Deletion of accounts here on the forum should be done on a case-by-case basis, since it is a decision that, once it has been made, there is no way that the deletion can be reversed unless the user hesitates within those 7 days and reverses his/her decision to delete it.

As for the member who decided to delete his/her account, there is always a choice for them to come back with a brand new one for whatever reason. Incidents of people who delete their accounts and then coming back over to NF some time after? Those are not isolated incidents either since NF has seen this happening more than a couple of times.

Also, said deletion process can be used to "cancel" out an account which has accumulated infractions and bans by nullifying them, allowing a user to start off with a clean slate if he/she wants to do so.

I will not hold it against the people who actually try to do the ^ procedure though since it's not like members from NF have received infractions and bans for perfectly valid reasons when talking over to them in PM would have sufficed.

Bump

Lurking
V.I.P. Member
Deletion of accounts here on the forum should be done on a case-by-case basis, since it is a decision that, once it has been made, there is no way that the deletion can be reversed unless the user hesitates within those 7 days and reverses his/her decision to delete it.

As for the member who decided to delete his/her account, there is always a choice for them to come back with a brand new one for whatever reason. Incidents of people who delete their accounts and then coming back over to NF some time after? Those are not isolated incidents either since NF has seen this happening more than a couple of times.

Also, said deletion process can be used to "cancel" out an account which has accumulated infractions and bans by nullifying them, allowing a user to start off with a clean slate if he/she wants to do so.

I will not hold it against the people who actually try to do the ^ procedure though since it's not like members from NF have received infractions and bans for perfectly valid reasons when talking over to them in PM would have sufficed.

But do we want a forum with 27 dupe accounts? all because someone wanted to quit and comeback 2 or 3 weeks later? I like member counts but doesn't make sense having 500 members with 100 dupes, personal opinion. However I do take your point that people do like to come back to nullify all past offenses or reprobation that you may of had before

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
But do we want a forum with 27 dupe accounts? all because someone wanted to quit and comeback 2 or 3 weeks later? I like member counts but doesn't make sense having 500 members with 100 dupes, personal opinion.
There is an option to which we can put the user's email on a list so that they can't use it again to register.

This whole idea of self-user account deletion came about from a case that is still ongoing on NF/FV. I asked Reznor to tell Mbxx/Jff to delete my account and Joffry is simply ignoring such requests. I don't want to ever go back to FV because I'm honestly done with it. I find myself checking if he actually went ahead and deleted my account at least once a week just to give me some peace of mind, but it hasn't happened yet, so I know he's trolling. I have no way to remove my existence from that forum and it sucks because I gave 15 years of my life to that forum where more than 3/4 of that time span I actually made good friends and tried to socialize. Now I'm stuck with my thumb up my ass while I let this one dude troll me and take my data hostage; it's messed up and there is nothing more I can do but keep checking back once a week or every other month.

Bump

Lurking
V.I.P. Member
There is an option to which we can put the user's email on a list so that they can't use it again to register.

This whole idea of self-user account deletion came about from a case that is still ongoing on NF/FV. I asked Reznor to tell Mbxx/Jff to delete my account and Joffry is simply ignoring such requests. I don't want to ever go back to FV because I'm honestly done with it. I find myself checking if he actually went ahead and deleted my account at least once a week just to give me some peace of mind, but it hasn't happened yet, so I know he's trolling. I have no way to remove my existence from that forum and it sucks because I gave 15 years of my life to that forum where more than 3/4 of that time span I actually made good friends and tried to socialize. Now I'm stuck with my thumb up my ass while I let this one dude troll me and take my data hostage; it's messed up and there is nothing more I can do but keep checking back once a week or every other month.
I understand were the question came from and I still stand by that the user should message you or Trinty and ask to be deleted, the way mbxx is handing its is horrid because he is making you check in

But I still go back to my original point they would have users that might have a bad experience or not fit in for the time and wnat to quit but come back in two months or two years, they should be put on a special ban were the only forum they see is a page requesting to be activated again

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
they should be put on a special ban were the only forum they see is a page requesting to be activated again
There are options where you can either 1). Create a joinable group that suspends their account from doing anything or 2). Use the actual suspend user state and have them reach out via the "Contact Us" page. All those options will require some way to communicate back to us and we simply can't assume what form of communication the can use and it creates a need to monitor a shared inbox.

Bump

Lurking
V.I.P. Member
There are options where you can either 1). Create a joinable group that suspends their account from doing anything or 2). Use the actual suspend user state and have them reach out via the "Contact Us" page. All those options will require some way to communicate back to us and we simply can't assume what form of communication the can use and it creates a need to monitor a shared inbox.

Yeah option 2 makes more sense for it gives a more "deleted" atmosphere, will still give us forum traffic with viewing but they wont see anything or can discuss anything to it helps them aswell if they requested to be deleted.

However now that you lay out the need to monitor a shared inbox, Deleting a user seems so much easier lol :/

Pericolo

Illustrious
most services and platforms nowadays offer the choice to at the very least deactivate your account and i find that comforting, to be able to say "i'm done" and just remove yourself and all your shit

deletion is whatever, deactivation however is important imo

deactivation could be pretty simple, a matter of usergroups
deletion will come with ramifications for both member and staff, such as the loss of usernotes & relevant quotes should the member be especially fucky

think of that guy who spammed scat and cp way way back on the other forum after a long series of other misadventures, if he could just delete his main at any point come a few years down the line not one mod would be able to easily see a bunch of notes on his account telling them to just not bother with him

personally i'm very for the idea but it should come with a few limitations to ensure some information is retained for the future

Pericolo

Illustrious

i am in precisely the same boat and hate it

which is why i'll fix :)

Pericolo

Illustrious
how about deactivation is putting every post of a member on (at least) moderated status and putting the user in a group that can only see & post in a subsection of whatever courts we have here (dunno if we do) that is specifically for these requests? then additionally revoke posting rights and thread making rights as well as any other rights to do with adding content?

would that work?

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
how about deactivation is putting every post of a member on (at least) moderated status and putting the user in a group that can only see & post in a subsection of whatever courts we have here (dunno if we do) that is specifically for these requests? then additionally revoke posting rights and thread making rights as well as any other rights to do with adding content?

would that work?
There's actually an option to do such a thing and put them into a moderated group where it behaves just as you say (if we do the permissions correctly). They have a feature for most things in add-on's that it astonishes me that they even included such things given how rare these scenarios are :skully

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
deactivation could be pretty simple, a matter of usergroups
The add-on I'm looking at just mentions mostly suspension and deletion, but to change their primary group is something I haven't seen an add-on accomplish yet. If we had the add-on automatically add the user to a secondary group, they will still be able to view and do whatever on the forum because the primary group will always trump the secondary in terms of permission. I think I may look into developing a "Deactivate Account" add-on instead that simply switches the user's primary group into an actually semi-banned state where they would only be able to see a section we would specify in the add-on settings.
deletion will come with ramifications for both member and staff, such as the loss of usernotes & relevant quotes should the member be especially fucky
Fortunately for us, XF makes it so you can't remove any of the "deleted" user's content, especially if you preserved their username. and didn't opt for the username change that can come with the "deletion".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back