Xeon VS Core

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
Currently saving enough money to spend on a PC.

I'm somewhat of a noob at this, but I remember in the past that there was a time you could get Xeon processors matching core i7 processors for super cheap. Just wondering if I could also get 1 or 2 Xeon processors for around a 1000$ or less.

Something that work with AI, 3d rendering, and modern vidya games with good quality(no 4k, but 1080 60 fps is fine for me).

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
If you're aiming for AI work, you'll want CUDA cores, so a reasonably priced RTX card should assist you in that regard. To efficiently utilize your Large Language Models, consider aiming for around 12 GB of VRAM. In terms of the CPU, a decent i7 from a year or two ago should suffice. If that's not available, you can opt for an AMD processor or aim for a decent i9.

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
I asked ChatGPT after posting my previous message, and it essentially aligns with what I stated in that post.

ChatGTP said:
For AI work, including working with Large Language Models (LLMs), a Core i7 processor is typically more suitable than a Xeon processor. Core i7 processors are designed for high-performance tasks, including AI-related work, and they often offer better single-threaded performance, which is important for many AI applications. Xeon processors are designed for server and workstation environments and may have more cores, but for many AI tasks, a high clock speed and good single-threaded performance are more important.

That said, the specific choice of CPU depends on your budget and the exact requirements of your AI work. In some cases, a Core i9 or even a specialized AI GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) like an NVIDIA RTX card may be a better choice for certain AI tasks. It's essential to consider your specific workload and budget when selecting the best hardware for AI and LLMs.

Back