Back-Seat Driver: The Parasite That Makes Bees Drop Off Its Babies

parasitized-bee-curling-abdomen.jpg

Halictoxenos borealis, a species of strepsipteran, or twisted-wing insect, that parasitizes the bee Lasioglossum apristum affects the bee’s flower-visiting behavior. When the parasitize bee, as shown here, visits a hydrangea flower, it curls its abdomen and presses it against the leaf—making it easier for the parasites to offload their larvae. (Rather than laying eggs, H. borealis females release first instar larvae.) (Photo originally published in Nakase and Kato 2021, Journal of Insect Science)​

From a human perspective, insects are odd, odd creatures. Some display the wonder of complete metamorphosis, allowing us to simultaneously love nectar-sipping butterflies and fret over their leaf-eating caterpillar offspring. We marvel at strange or seemingly impossible ways of life: dung-rolling beetles, reproduction with no males required, death by sex for honey bee males. And near the apex of oddness are the strepsipterans, aka the twisted-wing insects.

Strepsipterans parasitize a wide array of other insects. The males are free-flying but the females of many species achieve independent mobility only as first instar larvae—which is when they seek out a host to live within for the rest of their lives. The females don’t develop into “typical” adult insects—they have no wings, no legs, no eyes—but they are fertile and manage to mate even though they live inside another insect. These females have a brood canal (also the mating portal) and they stick the body part that has that canal outside the host and release a pheromone, calling the males to them. Adult males live for only a few hours, and that time is all about finding and mating with one of those protruding body parts. A new study published in the Journal of Insect Science shows that at least one species of strepsipteran, Halictoxenos borealis, also seems to have a super-power—mind-control of its host insect.

strepsiteran-parasite-bee-abdomen.jpeg

Females of Halictoxenos borealis, a species of strepsipteran, or twisted-wing insect, spend their lives parasitizing bees. The females have no wings, no legs, and no eyes, but they are fertile, and expose part of their bodies outside the host bee (see arrow) and release a pheromone, calling the males to them. (Photo originally published in Nakase and Kato 2021, Journal of Insect Science)

strepsiteran-parasite-larvae-emerging.png

Females of Halictoxenos borealis, a species of strepsipteran, or twisted-wing insect, spend their lives parasitizing bees. Rather than laying eggs, H. borealis females release first instar larvae. To release those larvae in an optimal location, H. borealis influences its host bee’s behavior so that it visits a hydrangea flower, curls its abdomen, and presses it against the leaf—making it easier for the parasite to offload the larvae. Shown here is a closeup of H. borealis emerging from their mother, attached between the abdominal segments of a host bee. (Photo originally published in Nakase and Kato 2021, Journal of Insect Science)​

The study looked at the behavior of Lasioglossum apristum, a bee parasitized by Halictoxenos borealis. Yuta Nakase, Ph.D., a postdoctoral researcher at Shinshu University in Nagano, Japan, says he chose this project after seeing parasitized L. apristum visiting hydrangeas, which have no nectar and therefore provide only pollen rewards for visiting bees. Since adult female bees usually collect pollen to feed offspring and not themselves, Nakase realized this behavior didn’t make sense, because one of the side effects of being parasitized by H. borealis is that L. apristum have no offspring.

“I had a hunch that something strange would be happening and decided to do some research,” says Nakase.

Nakase and colleague Makoto Kato, Ph.D., of Kyoto University, developed a study to try and determine if H. borealis affected the behavior of the L. apristum bees not merely by their presence but via active manipulation of the host’s behavior—or, put another way, mind control.

The scientists studied the actions of parasitized and unparasitized L. apristum bees on Hydrangea serrata. They found both kinds of bees walked around, neither bothered to look for nectar, and neither ate any pollen (none was found in their guts). But the behavior of the two types of bees differed in one significant way: Unparasitized bees actively collected pollen to take home to their larvae, while the parasitized bees collected none. Instead, a parasitized bee curled its abdomen and pressed the top against the leaf—making it easier for the parasites to offload their larvae. (Rather than laying eggs, H. borealis females release first instar larvae.) Unparasitized bees did not engage in this activity.

The researchers say that this behavior was “evidence that strepsipteran parasites can alter the behavior of individual bees by changing their flower-visiting objective and corresponding behavior from pollen collection to the release of first instar larvae.”

Nakase says that he’d like people to know more about the importance of parasites. “From the perspective of biodiversity conservation and agricultural productivity, it is important to understand the parasites are involved in the pollination symbiosis system, but we do not know enough about them,” he says.

Parasites may have a bad reputation, and a lot of people might be happy if parasites disappeared from the world, but Nakase isn’t among them—even regarding the parasites that engage in mind control.

Source: https://entomologytoday.org/2021/10/01/back-seat-driver-strepsipteran-parasite-bees-change-behavior/

How amazing it is that the first bug news I post on this new and exciting forum happens to be about an insect I've been going crazy for and even making memes for the past few years? Strepsipterans are the most alien and truly bizarre of all insects for many reasons ranging from morphology that drives entomologists crazy to parasitic life cycles that seem straight out of some sci-fi horror with supernatural elements. The fact we still don't know where to place them evolutionary-wise (we went from flies to placing them as a sister group to beetles) speaks enough about their mysterious nature.

If anyone wants to know more about them contact me, I have some papers to ease you in! 🪲

RÆM

Distinguished
On NPR(national public radio) yesterday they had a segment on save the parasites. How they are at risk of dying and stuff. Made me think of you instantly lol.

How buggy
The whole universe is bugged.

Its swarmy!!!
We don't use that slang here :cat)

❤️

On NPR(national public radio) yesterday they had a segment on save the parasites. How they are at risk of dying and stuff. Made me think of you instantly lol.
I was gonna share this news but I gotta keep it civil for you guys...

Back