Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
A thread for all your needs in regards to the Cosmere universe and all the worlds within created by Brandon Sanderson. As of writing this, this includes (but isn't limited to)...

Warbreaker
Mistborn
The Stormlight Archives
White Sand
Tress of the Emerald Sea
Yumi and the Nightmare Painter
9gkulNY.jpg

Lord Melkor

Exceptional
I read Mistborn.

I thought it was alot of fun. I think I'll like the Way of Kings better. However I'm waiting for atleast 6 books to be out for that, because he wants 10 novels in that series. I have been let down before, looking at you GoT and KKC.

This is one of best series I have read in terms of worldbuilding.

I think there will time skip after first 5 books, so you can read them together.

Starkun The Metallic

I read Mistborn.

I thought it was alot of fun. I think I'll like the Way of Kings better. However I'm waiting for atleast 6 books to be out for that, because he wants 10 novels in that series. I have been let down before, looking at you GoT and KKC.
You could read it once the 5th book comes out next year. After that there will be a time skip both in and out of universe.

This is one of best series I have read in terms of worldbuilding.

I think there will time skip after first 5 books, so you can read them together.
I hve yet to read Stormlight but am excited for it. After Stormlight 5 Sando is planning to write Mistborn Era 3 and the Elantris sequels.

Starkun The Metallic

I've figured out the foundation of my more nuanced interpretation of Ruin. Looking back while I like aspects of Ruin, I'm not a fan of some shit he does.

I've decided that I must expand on the Scadrian Shards and their schemes. And to do that… I’ve felt I need to make Ruin a lot smarter. A timeline where Preservation is the only god crafting clear cut, precognitive and Xanatosian plots doesn’t sound like an interesting world or divine conflict. That… and I really want to diverge from Ruin’s DEATH AND EVIL GLOATING shtick. He felt more dangerous in The Well of Ascension despite being more restricted.

I've been having a lot of discussions and thoughts about Ruin's future sight, Preservation's plans, and Harmony's knowledge. Because of this, I have a good idea on how to write Ruin in my Mistborn AU.

Sanderson hinted that Ruin is the power of change and entropy, so I really want to lean in that direction. Rather than portraying him as the entity of death and destruction that Sanderson wrote him as, I want to write him as the God of Decay and Entropy. Everything we associate with canon Ruin and entropy would be parts of his desire/methods of ensuring that everything degrades and decays. He is also a force of chaos, disorder, and temptation. Death and destruction are parts of his Intent, but they aren’t forefront in the Intent. AU Ruin is the gear that spins the world's cycles of rising and falling. He pushes people to embrace uncertainty and change.

Ruin weaves and executes multiple, branching schemes to ensure the subtle, slow downfall of Scadrial and its empires. He knows there are countless ways his Intent is present in the Universe, and will execute them through any avenue. However, he's also responsible for the rise of Scadrial's kingdoms, nations and empires. He understands that emotions and ambition are essential for the world.

Ruin manuevers and guides humans, events, and mindsets to create many rebellions and rebel groups throughout history. This comes with the major, intended effect of breeding contempt for the Lord Ruler and the nobility. He guides the Keepers in preserving the old world’s information, and is responsible for the existence of better technology in the lesser controlled Dominances. He whispers to the kandra's mind to breed complacency, while simultaneously grooming multiple kandra into desiring that their society changes.

I desperately intend to expand upon Ruin’s precognitive abilities. It doesn’t feel right downplaying Ruin’s future sight when the only WoB we have about it came from 2012, way before Sanderson truly incorporated precognition into the Cosmere. Not only that but the Mistborn trilogy was written before he solidified Cosmere-wide mechanics. I think that once a Mistborn adaptation comes out, we will truly see his abilities in action.

AU Ruin’s future sight would still be inferior to Preservation. It feels slightly wrong LMAO, but it’s necessary for the ending. But it’s far better than Elend’s future vision and Odium’s future sight.

Any advice or Cosmere relevant insight?

I’ve only read the Mistborn trilogy trilogy, Elantris, and Emperor’s Soul.

Starkun The Metallic

You know how we use shit like sociology, probability, and math to study trends and predict the future? I've decided to write stuff like that in my Mistborn AU's Shard future sight. I think even in canon Shard future sight should be a combination of whatever magical properties Sanderson put in, and all kinds of mathematical and scientific principles. We know Shards are automatically endowed with an advanced understanding of geodesy, chemistry, and biology that's centuries or millennia ahead of Alendi's era. That should definitely apply to things like mathematics and statistics.

I think it would make it easier for me to stomach Preservation’s future sight being so good, and hopefully for readers to stomach the changes I wanna make to Ruin.

Starkun The Metallic

I've figured out the foundation of my more nuanced interpretation of Ruin. Looking back while I like aspects of Ruin, I'm not a fan of some shit he does.

I've decided that I must expand on the Scadrian Shards and their schemes. And to do that… I’ve felt I need to make Ruin a lot smarter. A timeline where Preservation is the only god crafting clear cut, precognitive and Xanatosian plots doesn’t sound like an interesting world or divine conflict. That… and I really want to diverge from Ruin’s DEATH AND EVIL GLOATING shtick. He felt more dangerous in The Well of Ascension despite being more restricted.

I've been having a lot of discussions and thoughts about Ruin's future sight, Preservation's plans, and Harmony's knowledge. Because of this, I have a good idea on how to write Ruin in my Mistborn AU.

Sanderson hinted that Ruin is the power of change and entropy, so I really want to lean in that direction. Rather than portraying him as the entity of death and destruction that Sanderson wrote him as, I want to write him as the God of Decay and Entropy. Everything we associate with canon Ruin and entropy would be parts of his desire/methods of ensuring that everything degrades and decays. He is also a force of chaos, disorder, and temptation. Death and destruction are parts of his Intent, but they aren’t forefront in the Intent. AU Ruin is the gear that spins the world's cycles of rising and falling. He pushes people to embrace uncertainty and change.

Ruin weaves and executes multiple, branching schemes to ensure the subtle, slow downfall of Scadrial and its empires. He knows there are countless ways his Intent is present in the Universe, and will execute them through any avenue. However, he's also responsible for the rise of Scadrial's kingdoms, nations and empires. He understands that emotions and ambition are essential for the world.

Ruin manuevers and guides humans, events, and mindsets to create many rebellions and rebel groups throughout history. This comes with the major, intended effect of breeding contempt for the Lord Ruler and the nobility. He guides the Keepers in preserving the old world’s information, and is responsible for the existence of better technology in the lesser controlled Dominances. He whispers to the kandra's mind to breed complacency, while simultaneously grooming multiple kandra into desiring that their society changes.

I desperately intend to expand upon Ruin’s precognitive abilities. It doesn’t feel right downplaying Ruin’s future sight when the only WoB we have about it came from 2012, way before Sanderson truly incorporated precognition into the Cosmere. Not only that but the Mistborn trilogy was written before he solidified Cosmere-wide mechanics. I think that once a Mistborn adaptation comes out, we will truly see his abilities in action.

AU Ruin’s future sight would still be inferior to Preservation. It feels slightly wrong LMAO, but it’s necessary for the ending. But it’s far better than Elend’s future vision and Odium’s future sight.

Any advice or Cosmere relevant insight?

I’ve only read the Mistborn trilogy trilogy, Elantris, and Emperor’s Soul.
You know how we use shit like sociology, probability, and math to study trends and predict the future? I've decided to write stuff like that in my Mistborn AU's Shard future sight. I think even in canon Shard future sight should be a combination of whatever magical properties Sanderson put in, and all kinds of mathematical and scientific principles. We know Shards are automatically endowed with an advanced understanding of geodesy, chemistry, and biology that's centuries or millennia ahead of Alendi's era. That should definitely apply to things like mathematics and statistics.

I think it would make it easier for me to stomach Preservation’s future sight being so good, and hopefully for readers to stomach the changes I wanna make to Ruin.
Trying to revive this thread lol. Does anyone have thoughts on these ideas?

Stocking Anarchy

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
Trying to revive this thread lol. Does anyone have thoughts on these ideas?
I don't really do fanfic stuff sorry, but I can give a bit of a look if need be.

I don't recall Ruin's precog too well sorry (though I assume that's tied to Atium and Harmony being able to see different future possibilities for Scardiel?)

B Rabbit

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
It is a bit slow at the beginning but I really loved the worldbuilding. Do you like Kaladin and Shallan?
Well I'm almost done with part one. Shallan is super interesting story. I really admire her wit and her drive. I wonder how she's going to steal the stone soul?

Kaladin was slow and boring until he started picking up the bridges, then it go real interesting. I like his drive, and his inner turmoil of being a good guy vs wanting to die. His windspren is pretty interesting. He's starting to develop feelings? I'm not sure I got to keep reading.

Now Yalb, is a likeable guy as well.

Back