• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Circus of Humorous & Humiliating Arguments Part 5: Diamonds are fleeting. Stupid lasts forever

Randomdude

Preeminent
Hell players even attempted to do what you asked, kill a party memeber, remove the parasite, revive them, shit didnt work.
It doesn't work because the game doesn't let you interact with the parasites in your companions heads at all. The one mintharas head cease to exist in her inventory the moment she's a companion.

I repeat it is never once mentioned even the idea of killing yourself, squishing the parasite and bringing you back. This is never mentioned or acknowledged in any way. I would be fine if we were told they were soul bound/some other explanation was given but thats not what happens. The game just disallows you from touching them when your companions die for no apparent reason. (I played a dark urge, I wanted to eat them but alas)

Why is it if I burn gales body to a pile of ash and revive him with true ressurection his parasite comes back? Why is it I can't attempt to eat the tadpoles when my companions are dead. The game quite simply doesn't acknowledge the idea at all.

Now to be clear My thought is the devs didn't want it to ruin the story so rather then try and write around it they just pretend the idea doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Salfarc

Paramount
The fact mintharas tadpole is treated the exact same? Normal tadpole infection doesn't give psionic abilities afaik, it turns "you" into a mindflayer within a few days (And technicallities here as unless your the bhall spawn/main character your soul is gone and just an imprint of you is left behind).

The power of the parasites and the fact people can run around with them for extended periods of time is something unique to them (Unique to every parasite infected person we run across in baldurs gate. A true soul has a parasite and sometimes don't even know/understand it) and its shared by minathara who gained her tadpole under different circumstances long before we meet her.

Notably when she joins the party your suddenly no longer allowed to rip it out of her head despite being able to do so in act one. Suddenly the ability to take it out vanishes the moment she's a companion...Strange that isn't it?

Like I seriously feel like you've fundamentally misunderstood some of the story of the game. We're one of several victims that were parasited in the exact same way. We just had the magic mcguffin so we weren't mind slaved like all the others.
You only get Minthara in Act 2, I don't remember there are NPC that state something about her tadpole is protected after act 2. They may just mean the other char you have, the original ones.

At any rate Masterblack already answer your question with how people actually try it. You are the one being obtuse.

Randomdude

Preeminent
You only get Minthara in Act 2, I don't remember there are NPC that state something about her tadpole is protected after act 2. They may just mean the other char you have, the original ones.

At any rate Masterblack already answer your question with how people actually try it.
Unless he's talking about the beta or some earlier version I have no idea what he's talking about because you can't see or interact with the tadpoles when your companions are dead. The game disallows you from seeing them/doesn't spawn them in their invetory for some reason. (I know because it's one of the first things I tried)

Again this includes minathara (Had to load up and old save to double check but her corpse carries zero parasites after she's a companion, before joining free worm) who you could rip the tadpole out of right up until she was a companion so it's seemingly not due to anything being special about your tadpoles.

Her tadpole is the exact same, she has the same powers, same abilities, and suddenly it can't be interacted with when she's a companion, the exact same way it is for all your other companions despite the fact before that point you could freely rip the worm from her head and eat it.

My issue isn't that it doesn't work my issue is the game never even acknolwedges this as a possible solution, your willing to try anything so why is one of the most famed ways of dealing with the parasites never even discussed? Why is it when someone becomes a companion the parasite in their inventory ceases to exist?

Like if there is an explanation in the game Im open to hearing it, but my understanding is there's nothing special about our parasites, they're held in stasis and tainted with netherese magic just like all the other true souls, which is why they're not all mind flayers despite having brain worms for weeks, possibly months on end. The only difference is we have plot mcguffin gaurding our minds from the absolutes influence.

Which just adds to the weirdness that our party never once thinks to try a death revival scheme. Especially gale since he has that nifty true res scroll on hand.

Last edited:

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Your problem is essentially that theres a plot hole in the game

But lets say that your plan worked, they kill them, take the parasite out, use any of the forms of ressurection scrolls or spells
Them shits only bring you back with 1 hp, they dont heal you. Congrats you revived your friend with a hole in their head, they are now dead again.

You only get that one scroll off Gale IIRC, so you only get to bring them back to full health that one time. So maybe it would work then but everyone else is fucked

Also, if it was that easy to get rid of the parasite, assuming that you get revived with full HP alot of the plot of the game just doesnt work.

Its not that deep, and its not that serious

Randomdude

Preeminent

But lets say that your plan worked, they kill them, take the parasite out, use any of the forms of ressurection scrolls or spells
Them shits only bring you back with 1 hp, they dont heal you. Congrats you revived your friend with a hole in their head, they are now dead again.

You only get that one scroll off Gale IIRC, so you only get to bring them back to full health that one time. So maybe it would work then but everyone else is fucked

Also, if it was that easy to get rid of the parasite, assuming that you get revived with full HP alot of the plot of the game just doesnt work.

I mean I never meant to imply it was? I liteally said earlier Im pretty sure the real answer is it would wreck the story/fuck things up so the devs just made it impossible to try/really engage with the idea.

I was just wondering if there was an explanation in game I missed in my playthroughs because the idea is never even mentioned from my experience which felt weird.

Then it became a mess because of safaracs insistence our parasites were special vs every other true soul which simply isn't how I understand the story.

Then came your statement people tried when that is impossible with how the game deals with your companions and their parasites. You can't try, your not allowed to, even with a companion that was previously an enemy and dropped the thing it ceases to exist the moment she joins your camp. The game simply doesn't mention it afaik.

The party doesn't just have access to true res, they also have withers. While he's kinda a game mechanic he's also central to the plot in several places and it's doubtful he's using revivify/raise dead.

Honestly I think the game should make some mention/let you rip out your companions tadpoles with some line about this blocking resurrection because of netherese nonsense/severe brain damage. That way my dark urge can get some extra worms early but thats simply not what happens.

Last edited:

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Then came your statement people tried when that is impossible with how the game deals with your companions and their parasites. You can't try, your not allowed to, even with a companion that was previously an enemy and dropped the thing it ceases to exist the moment she joins your camp. The game simply doesn't mention it afaik.
Well yeah my statment makes sense, People tried it didnt work.
The party doesn't just have access to true res, they also have withers. While he's kinda a game mechanic he's also central to the plot in several places and it's doubtful he's using revivify/raise dead.
Well yeah but Withers is like an actual god, he probably could have straight removed them shits from your head CASUALLY

Skeleboy is based like that
Honestly I think the game should make some mention/let you rip out your companions tadpoles with some line about this blocking resurrection because of netherese nonsense/severe brain damage. That way my dark urge can get some extra worms early but thats simply not what happens.
You could probably skip past everyone to the point you unlock the ability to eat worms and then come back and start killing companions. Though i've never tried it

Randomdude

Preeminent
Well yeah my statment makes sense, People tried it didnt work.

Well yeah but Withers is like an actual god, he probably could have straight removed them shits from your head CASUALLY

Skeleboy is based like that

You could probably skip past everyone to the point you unlock the ability to eat worms and then come back and start killing companions. Though i've never tried it
How could they try when the worms don't exist in your inventory? Unless your reffering to beta or something

You can not, they will not drop them regardless of how or when they're killed, even if it's a perm in story death ala lazel stabbing shadow heart or vice versa. You behead karlache and she still won't drop the bloody thing. This is why Im confused on your insistence people tried, you can't try, the worms don't physically exist in your companinons inventory at any point outside minithara.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
How could they try when the worms don't exist in your inventory? Unless your reffering to beta or something

You can not, they will not drop them regardless of how or when they're killed, even if it's a perm in story death ala lazel stabbing shadow heart or vice versa. You behead karlache and she still won't drop the bloody thing. This is why Im confused on your insistence people tried, you can't try, the worms don't physically exist in your companinons inventory at any point outside minithara.
Hence the Tried part, they Tried, it didnt work. I dont know how to be any more clear on this
:heston

Randomdude

Preeminent
Because I don't feel that counts as trying? The game doesn't let you try, it just decides your companions worms don't exist in any obtainable form even if you previously could ala minathara. Likely to stop things like my question...Or possibly so we don't find a way to dupe worms. If our character made some acknowledgement of it that'd be different as at that point our character would have tried and failed but thats simply not what happens. The game just doesn't acknowledge their worms in the first place.

Like to be clear thats exactly what I did on my first playthrough because I knew the old trick was to destroy the head/worm and bring the person back, and was annoyed when I couldn't yank the worms. When I found the scroll of true ress I figured that might be it but still no dice.

Last edited:

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Because I don't feel that counts as trying, the game doesn't let you try, it just decides your companions worms don't exist
Maybe it comes down to whether or not the dream person is protecting them or not. If they are a companion their tadpoles cant be messed with cause they are being protected or something

Randomdude

Preeminent
Maybe it comes down to whether or not the dream person is protecting them or not. If they are a companion their tadpoles cant be messed with cause they are being protected or something
See that would work better if karlache didn't exist, you can straight up behead her without her ever joining your party/without ever talking with her and her worm still simply doesn't exist. Unless the emperor is for some reason protecting the worm in the decapitated head of a woman we never properly interacted with/cared about. which tbf sounds like the sorta dickish thing he might do.

Its made even weirder cause you can get worms before you ever talk to the dream visitor as well. As I learned in my last playthrough where I wasn't long resting enough. They just sit in your inventory and do nothing with some words about "Being useful later" when you try to eat them

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
See that would work better if karlache didn't exist, you can straight up behead her without her ever joining your party/without ever talking with her and her worm still simply doesn't exist. Unless the emperor is for some reason protecting the worm in the decapitated head of a woman we never properly interacted with/cared about. which tbf sounds like the sorta dickish thing he might do.

Its made even weirder cause you can get worms before you ever talk to the dream visitor as well. As I learned in my last playthrough where I wasn't long resting enough. They just sit in your inventory and do nothing with some words about "Being useful later" when you try to eat them
Shadow Magic is a hell of a drug is what I got from however the fuck this stuff works

True Resurrection is also a level 9 spell. Full casters get 9th spell slots at level 17. If a low level tried to cast a Scroll of True Resurrection, there is a chance that nothing happens and the scroll is still used. Because they don’t have 9th level spell slots. Scroll of True Resurrection requires you to roll a straight 19 or a Nat 20 to successfully use.

Randomdude

Preeminent
True Resurrection is also a level 9 spell. Full casters get 9th spell slots at level 17. If a low level tried to cast a Scroll of True Resurrection, there is a chance that nothing happens and the scroll is still used. Because they don’t have 9th level spell slots. Scroll of True Resurrection requires you to roll a 19 or a Nat 20 to use.
This really does bring into question what gales plan was in regards to that scroll of true ressurection. As logistically it should have a high chance fail unless a powerful cleric finds it. Then again since bg3 does away with limits on scrolls entirely I really have no idea how it works from gales prespective cause he seems to somehow know it will just work.

I wound up keeping the scroll of true ressurection the entire game, just used withers to bring gale back instead and kept the nifty scroll.

Randomdude

Preeminent
I have a question about wands, in overlord they seem like multiple use scrolls, holding multiple charges of whatever spell is imbued into them. Is that how they work in dnd?

Another reason a wizard cannot use a Scroll of True Resurrection is because the spell requires divine magic or primal magic, which only clerics and druids can channel. Wizards use arcane magic, which does not grant them access to divine spells. Thus, they lack the connection to the divine forces necessary to cast such a spell.

I have a question about wands, in overlord they seem like multiple use scrolls, holding multiple charges of whatever spell is imbued into them. Is that how they work in dnd?
Magic items sometimes have charges, like the Wand of Magic Missile. Magic items with charges can recharge at the end of dawn.

Randomdude

Preeminent
Another reason a wizard cannot use a Scroll of True Resurrection is because the spell requires divine magic, which only clerics and druids can channel. Wizards use arcane magic, which does not grant them access to divine spells. Thus, they lack the connection to the divine forces necessary to cast such a spell.

Magic items sometimes have charges, like the Wand of Magic Missile. Magic items with charges can recharge at the end of dawn.
Thats actually another change overlord made with it's system ainz has access to several divine spells. Though arguably it could be a consequence of his ability to steal spells from deceased casters.

Saying that in overlord gods don't actually exist as real entities from what we can tell.

King of time

Exceptional

Salfarc

Paramount

Yea, as I said if it can easily be removed, they already would. With like, at least 3 different options where it is stated to work on tadpoles before. Which you yourself already states too.

But none of them work.

Because I don't feel that counts as trying? The game doesn't let you try, it just decides your companions worms don't exist in any obtainable form even if you previously could ala minathara. Likely to stop things like my question...Or possibly so we don't find a way to dupe worms. If our character made some acknowledgement of it that'd be different as at that point our character would have tried and failed but thats simply not what happens. The game just doesn't acknowledge their worms in the first place.

Like to be clear thats exactly what I did on my first playthrough because I knew the old trick was to destroy the head/worm and bring the person back, and was annoyed when I couldn't yank the worms. When I found the scroll of true ress I figured that might be it but still no dice.
You are just being stubborn for something you claim isn't a big deal at this point.

The story kinda make it clear. Conventional methods doesn't work since our tadpole is in special circumstances, even if the tadpole itself is not special. There is nothing implying simply being dead will free them, it's just your assumption because we get to take other true soul's tadpole after they die, not to mention they may have to remain dead if their tadpole is taken and obviously they don't want that. Masterblack did raise a good point with that they have a hole in their brain and dies again soon after.

You are being obtuse and quite literally ignoring the main plot of the game.

Back