• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Destructive Capacity vs Attack Potency

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Yes, I'm well aware that Attack Potency is a VSB term and the reliability of VSB is equivalent to taking the "trust me bro" line and making it go Super Saiyan. But I also saw some folks (not much, but some) on the net discussing the difference between destructive capacity and attack potency, with the main argument being the latter is closer to the lines of "this character can't bust planets in-universe but they can fight and harm those who can." Which sounds like a huge vehicle for wank (and it probably is), but at the same time I feel like it makes more sense from a narrative standpoint at least??? But destructive capacity seems to be more along the lines of "hey here's what they can bust at their highest, but their regular attacks don't always go up to this level."

It's something I never really thought about, but now I did, and now my brain hurts. So I ask, what are your guys' thoughts on the matter? Is AP just as valid as DC? Should AP replace DC? Or is AP wildly inaccurate? I'm curious to hear your thoughts :gura

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
No need to change it. Like, 99% of the time if a character is truly on the level of someone who can planet bust, it’s because they can too.

Qinglong

Martyrs are the first to Die
V.I.P. Member
I don't think there's any need to change the term

discrepancies in AoE are usually handled in the description itself or in other fields already on profiles

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
I mean there the same thing? Both terms sum up too "how strong a character is."
yeah and tbh I feel the way this community has used DC overlaps with vsb's potency thing anyways. It's just semantics at that point, VSB just felt the need to add more explanation for why a character who can harm planet level dudes isn't destroying every country around them

Cryso Agori

V.I.P. Member
net discussing the difference between destructive capacity and attack potency, with the main argument being the latter is closer to the lines of "this character can't bust planets in-universe but they can fight and harm those who can."
They are not many characters who jump tiers between attacks.

But even so, then just have a specific attack have higher DC.

Like Boros from opm for example. His Collapsing Star Roaring Cannon hits way harder than his other attacks.

But that doesn't mean you have to divide his profile between AP and DC.

Just say his is DC is this, but this attack DC is this, should suffice.

Back