Do we count feats from Marvel's What If comics?

OrlandoSky

Paramount
They're not canon since they are alternate universes and power levels vary depending on comic universes because of independent writers.

On the other hand they are part of the 616 comic timeline up to the point of divergence (like possible futures only the divergence is in the present of the comic) so they are the same version of the characters with the diverging point being decisions made that change the course of their history.
But they are also made for the specific purpose of being continuity free and made for the writers to go as buck wild as possible without a second thought of timeline consistency or character assassination since they're specifically made not to be canon.

I see we do count MCU's what if feats to be canon to the characters from the MCU since they are timeline variants of those versions. But then again those as well have inconsistent power settings and out of character moments from the MCU versions (like Vision being able to one shot Thanos and Pre-Ragnarok Thor easily fighting toe to toe with an angry Carol who in the primary MCU timeline dominated Thanos physically etc.)

What is the consensus of this. Are they just as applicable as the 616 comic feats or are they stamped non-canon by already being out of character and different enough to be divergent timelines, non-canon and thereby dismissible.
0ce3444b1dcf2aa1a92f8d6227edf5c4.jpg
whatif-10-janefoster-1628705371081.jpg
VCWZKbLktg3TdLK_1696882865.png

Last edited:

Gordo

Marvelous
V.I.P. Member
They can be non canon but the characters can still represent the strength of their canon counterparts

Same as we count alternate timelines in DC, it’s gonna have to be a case by case basis.

Marvel always worked more as a stream-like Megaverse while DC was more of a membrane/string theory universe

You have shit like Spider-Man 2099 and Maestro who can scale to a point, but have particular qualities that that don’t make it a 1:1 comparison

OrlandoSky

Paramount
Same as we count alternate timelines in DC, it’s gonna have to be a case by case basis.

Marvel always worked more as a stream-like Megaverse while DC was more of a membrane/string theory universe

You have shit like Spider-Man 2099 and Maestro who can scale to a point, but have particular qualities that that don’t make it a 1:1 comparison
Ok, but as far as the case by case basis goes what’s the line being drawn here with what wouldn’t be accepted? All these what if and possible future realities (Age of Ultron/Days of Future Past etc.) started out as the 616 canon but diverged so like with the What If comics they’re meant to tell “out there” stories where characters are allowed to be as inconsistent and out of character as possible so by that definition they would already be far different than their 616 versions despite being part of that canon, hence why I’m split on this.

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Don't see why we woulnd't

Isn't it a similar case to how we count feats of character endings from fighting games even if they're not canon?

OtherGalaxy

ยสี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่สี่ สี่สี
V.I.P. Member
^I thought we only did that in some cases

eg in street fighter we’ve never scaled Urien to Gill even though he beats him in his 3rd Strike ending

GoldenHeart

Illustrious
Yeah obviously if they get some random power up in their ending it doesn't apply to their usual selves

Meant more like stuff like Akuma sinking an island on his ending being treated as valid

Back