• We are currently rolling out incremental alterations to the forum. Don't freak! You aren't going crazy.

Does anyone play D&D?

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
i've been a couple different sessions before, it's confusing and also pretty slow paced (the ones i played at least). it had its fun moments but i don't think it's my cup of tea overall.

it can be VERY funny however

ClannadFan

The OG Dango
V.I.P. Member
I've only played a few sessions with some friends, it was pretty fun but I didn't get how a lot of shit worked. And being a nerd is cool in 2021 now trust me
catwink2.png

One Last Username

Distinguished
I play d&d frequently. 3 times a week.

I’m a Dm on Tuesday a a player on Friday and Sunday.
As a matter of fact our dm yesterday was so eager to finish a section of the adventure that we played from 7 pm to 3 am. Lol

One Last Username

Distinguished
Ironically, I'm too socially awkward to play D&D. :hm
Depends what gsme and character you want to play as. Some tables are fine with just going around rolling dice and that’s the extent of their roleplay.
Others focus on the funny voices.
Others get into character but no funny voices.

if you find a group that suits you, you may pull it off.

social awkwardness can be a tool to play the game too, I currently play as a socially awkward tiefling sorcerer. The kind of social awkward that can ask questions in the range of «so how did your mother die? » the first time he meets someone one new;

ClannadFan

The OG Dango
V.I.P. Member
What do you find confusing?
Well right now I don't even really know what I need to start playing. I don't own any D&D stuff and only have a DnDbeyond account. Last time I played my friend took care of everything for me, but I'm trying to play it again with a group who know even less than me. I'm really not even sure where or how to start. Are there any rules I have to follow? Or can I just wing it

One Last Username

Distinguished
Well right now I don't even really know what I need to start playing. I don't own any D&D stuff and only have a DnDbeyond account. Last time I played my friend took care of everything for me, but I'm trying to play it again with a group who know even less than me. I'm really not even sure where or how to start. Are there any rules I have to follow? Or can I just wing it
There are rules to follow, D&D beyond would have the basic rules.

You can always fork out the cash for players handbook (either physical copies from a game store or digitally from D&D beyond or roll 20) or if you want cheap, you can find ones that are uploaded digitally:

In my city it was easy, there's an experienced DM who runs introduction games every month (which was interrupted by the pandemic, but with health restrictions receding, they have picked up again). So check if your city or town has some meetup groups or discord channel. That might help you.

There are also a lot of people who made videos that cover all sorts of questions (maybe not every questions), such as Matt Colville. That covers tips from new players, to dms:

Now that being said, although there are rules, such as how much movements, actions and spells players can cast per turn, some rules might be overwritten by the DM to make the game flow run smoothly. The most important one is "D&D rules help you and the others have a good time, but the rules aren't in charge. You're the DM and you are in charge of the game." - DM Manual page 4.

In other words, your while a DM needs to know the basic ones, it is the DM, who decides how the rules apply, it does not need to memorized them all and decides when to toss some out.

Last edited:

Dragon D. Luffy

Illustrious
From my experience what helps is find a table where the DM is willing to teach or some players are very experienced... and willing to teach. Play a couple games to get the hang of combat and how the dice rolling works. Oh and either buy a player's handbook or... ARRRRRR!

The actual gameplay is not that hard once you get the basic concepts since almost everything uses the same sequence of actions (roll die, add modifier based on what your character is skilled at, compare to arbitrary number to see if you succeeded or not).

The rest is just wasting your free time reading about all the different classes and spells and game mechanics in the internet so you start wanting to make new characters to use all that stuff.

Haven't started DMing yet, though.

Also the video above is a joke but the whole series is hilarious so maybe watch it if you have time.

One Last Username

Distinguished
There’s also adventures league. Wizards of the coast officially license games where you can learn the basics.
Though in person games tend to manifest a dice addiction.

ClannadFan

The OG Dango
V.I.P. Member
I'm probably gonna just have to watch videos to learn lol. Nobody in my group is experienced and we wanted to play with just us, so I don't think anybody would be willing to go to the actual places and meet people. I'm too socially awkward for that lmao. But I apperciate the videos yall linked, will check them out later!

Back