first person games vs third person games - obd edition

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
Ultra Perm Banned Instinct V-2
i know we got the gaming section and all, but it doesn't matter, as i want to know what the obd thinks about that too

question is simple, in the various genres, fp and tp exist

so

which one you like more? which one fits more the vgame exp? i know it depends on the game, but i want to hear opinions, it's simple

let's see how many negs will be gathered

discuss

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
I mean, Dishonored and Bioshock (the first games, obviously) both come to mind as some first-person games that I've really come to like recently.

Planning on replaying the former... sometime :mjlol

Edit: Oh, just re-read the question.
I honestly don't have a preference for either.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Third person. I like being able to see my character and have an overall wider view of my surroundings.

jane

queen of the losers.
V.I.P. Member
Pronouns
She/Her
third person is more fun overall but first person obviously has the potential to be a lot more immersive. but with that comes the potential to be more jarring when you lose control of your character in cutscenes. it takes me out of a role more when my character in a first person game starts to move on their own, as opposed to third person where there is already a sense of detachment from them since you aren't seeing from their perspective.

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
fp works for games like counter strike, battlefield, cod, halo, medal of honor, etc = basically mostly for co-op tier of games

what makes those games kinda boring in replay game value, is the story, not saying that good story modes don't exist in fp games

but

they just ain't that good like most tp games are

examples:

- mgs
- max payne
- arkham games
- many jrpgs
- splinter cell
- uncharted
- tsushima
- infamous games
- most spiderman games
- deux ex games with jensen
- second sight
- heavy rain
- disco elysium
- a way out
- syphon filter games
- psi ops

and the list goes on

Last edited:

Flowering Knight

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
First Person I feel works best for immersion (it's why all VR games are first person, though not every first person game would work in VR). Pretty much any shooters work better in first person, not to mention dungeon crawlers and a select few RPGs such as Ultima Underworld and Dark Messiah/Heroes of Might and Magic.

Third person has more variety in the types of games, and tend to feel better because of it. You can guess what most first person games play like, but third person games can literally just do whatever. Personally I'd rather have variety in my vidya :cat

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
blade said fuck the system :skully

I feel more immersed in first person games than third person; I wanna feel like I'm the main character sometimes or even just feel like I'm somewhat involved, ya feel me?

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
main example is re7 and re8

whereas they are great fp horror games

they

still don't feel re tier at all

it's like they are dif games

since that franchise was literally a tp one, and thats how it become so good

if re7 and re8 weren't part of re and had a dif name, let's say they were their own series, they would be a great fps franchise

Ral

[SUBTRACTED]
Administrator
Pronouns
He/Him
main example is re7 and re8

whereas they are great fp horror games

they

still don't feel re tier at all

it's like they are dif games

since that franchise was literally a tp one, and thats how it become so good

if re7 and re8 weren't part of re and had a dif name, let's say they were their own series, they would be a great fps franchise
RE Village DLC introduced 3rd Person and I can't unsee Ethan :pepecool:

Paxton

One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds
V.I.P. Member
RE Village DLC introduced 3rd Person and I can't unsee Ethan :pepecool:
That reminds me, isn't Ethan's actual model literally just a couple of hands or something like that? :mjlol

• Haha
Reactions: Ral

Blade

Peace
V.I.P. Member
first-person-shooters-view-logic-a-little-spoon-jar-of-5086792.png

oh no no no no no laugh.mp4

NostalgiaFan

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
I always had a thing for third person over first person which is why I never cared too much for fps as a kid but as I grew up I started to enjoy them more to where now they are as good as third person in their own way but still hold preference for seeing my character in game.

Astaro

Resplendent
V.I.P. Member
Been playing Skyrim almost entirely third person with my Archer character. Only time I go FPS is if I need that extra precision in my next shot

Back