Gae Bolg vs. The Almighty

This is not a contest of the characters themselves, but contest of their abilities.
This is taken from a thread in a certain place and I just want to have some fun with both.
We already know how The Almighty works so who cares about that, so let's instead point out how Gae Bolg works for the sake of fairness:
Noble Phantasm
Gáe Bolg: Spear of Piercing Barbed Death

Type: Anti-Unit
Range: 2~4
Maximum targets: 1

While this is a technique employing Gáe Bolg as a melee attack, it is originally a magic spear for throwing. With a technique that reverses the meaning of "cause and effect" in the order of things, the "result" that "the heart of the opponent has been pierced" is created earlier than the moment it is thrust. Accordingly, the "cause" that "the lance has pierced through the heart" is generated from it later. Without a great deal of luck (like Artoria), it can be said that this is a technique that determines "if it is released, the opponent is dead." However, against Servants like Heracles who can move even when their heart is destroyed, there is a small disadvantage. Compared to the Spear of Striking Death Flight, both the range of effectiveness and the destructive power are weakened. However, it is worth mentioning that "the magical energy cost is low." For having such a strong effect as "almost certainly will destroy the enemy's heart," without the need of a terrible amount of magical power, it becomes an excellent Noble Phantasm of extraordinary usability.
Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death [Noble Phantasm]
Gae Bolg.
Lancer’s anti-personnel noble phantasm.
A cursed crimson spear with the infamous reputation of always going through the heart when thrust.
What it actually does is reversing causality, the spear being thrust after the outcome of striking the heart is established.
When its true power is invoked with its true name, Lancer’s crimson spear gains the outcome of already striking the heart before being thrust.
It didn’t hit because it was thrust, it hit so it was thrust, an attack on destiny itself.
What is needed to dodge Gae Bolg isn’t high agility but the power to reverse fate before the activation of Gae Bolg: high luck.
While it’s strictly anti-personnel and specifically targeting the heart, it’s a top-notch power that decides fate. It’s a noble phantasm a step away from being an authority, but it's no surprise that it is for its welder Cu Chulainn is the child of a god.
You shouldn’t take him lightly just because he's a jobber.
Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death [Noble Phantasm]
Gae Bolg.
The cursed spear that always pierced the opponent's heart after being thrust.
Reverse causality --- a technique which broke the rules by launching the spear after it was already established that the heart was pierced.
Since the target was already hit by the spear, the opponent would always be hit regardless what kind of evasive maneuvers he took.
In order to evade Gae Bolg, one would require Noble Phantasms that automatically resurrected the target after death like that of Berserker's, or a high degree of Luck sufficient to negate the curse of the spear.
To put it into game terms, it would be an insane Noble Phantasm with a base damage plus an additional component that scaled with the target's HP
For example, if Saber's HP was 100, then Gae Bolg's damage would be (Spear Damage + 100). She would absolutely be dead if it hit.
It was also an efficient Noble Phantasm with mana consumption only in the double digits.
Anti-Unit Noble Phantasms probably did not get anymore economical than this.
By the way, Piercing Death Thorn was a technique Lancer developed himself.
Originally Gae Bolg was a thrown Noble Phantasm. It was an Anti-Army Noble Phantasm rather than Anti-Unit.
So now we got that out of the way, who wins between Gae Bolg's effect defying the cause vs. The Almighty's making the Future into the Present?

Would Yhwach die if he gets hit by it or would he live from his Almighty working?

Aurelian

Titan
Administrator
Decepticon
Yeah, thankfully we aren't spudlords here so we should be good

That's why I made this thread in the first place since no one truly moronic is here yet to begin with.

So is there any takers in who believes what wins between Gae Bolg and The Almighty?
That's fine. Once we start having troublesome threads like with Youwach/Almighty, Goku vs Superman threads, etc...we'll start a banned thread sticky but I don't think we need one yet.

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Wouldn't Moustache see that Gae Bolg was going to kill him though and re-write the future so that he survives (ala when Ichigo killed him with Getsuga)?

Even the likes of Askin was able to survive for a bit after having his heart ripped out and crushed, long enough to explain how his powers go into overdrive to kill the opponent when he dies. So surely Moustache would always have enough time to use The Almighty to save himself from death even after Gae Bolg hits him.

Now I'm obviously not saying he could stop it from hitting him in the first place (it most certainly wouldn't) but I can't seeMoustache being permanently killed by it either.

Masterblack06

Man of Atom
Wouldn't Moustache see that Gae Bolg was going to kill him though and re-write the future so that he survives (ala when Ichigo killed him with Getsuga)?

Even the likes of Askin was able to survive for a bit after having his heart ripped out and crushed, long enough to explain how his powers go into overdrive to kill the opponent when he dies. So surely Moustache would always have enough time to use The Almighty to save himself from death even after Gae Bolg hits him.

Now I'm obviously not saying he could stop it from hitting him in the first place (it most certainly wouldn't) but I can't seeMoustache being permanently killed by it either.
IIRC gae bolg has anti-regen on it as well. So if Yhwach gets hit hes 100% fucked

Also messing with alternate futures and stuff is small time when the weapon itself messes with causality. Switching to another future doesn't mess with Cause and Effect as far as Im aware

Adamant soul

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
IIRC gae bolg has anti-regen on it as well. So if Yhwach gets hit hes 100% fucked

Also messing with alternate futures and stuff is small time when the weapon itself messes with causality. Switching to another future doesn't mess with Cause and Effect as far as Im aware
I mean it's not really regeneration, he's re-writing the future so that the damage never happened in the first place.

And yeah I know he's not going to be able to stop it entirely, I'm only suggesting he could undo the damage that it caused to keep himself alive. I mean we know you can survive it if you're really lucky like Saber was, so why wouldn't a guy who could choose a future, choose the one where he gets lucky and survives?

shade0180

Just a shadow
V.I.P. Member
he's re-writing the future so that the damage never happened in the first place.
There's no future with no damage....

The take here is that the attack already hit the target.

Which is what Gae Bolg basically works on.

:kannasip Even if Mustache gets lucky he still will get hit by the Gae Bolg there wouldn't be a future that he wouldn't be hit. There is a future where the Gae Bolg would miss his heart and that's basically it. Even the best showing in Natsu with Saber, Saber was literally got hit, it just missed being fatal to one shot saber.

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
I mean it's not really regeneration, he's re-writing the future so that the damage never happened in the first place.

And yeah I know he's not going to be able to stop it entirely, I'm only suggesting he could undo the damage that it caused to keep himself alive. I mean we know you can survive it if you're really lucky like Saber was, so why wouldn't a guy who could choose a future, choose the one where he gets lucky and survives?
Fragarach rewrites reality so it always hits first, Gae bolg says fuck you to that and still kills you

Once the name is called out the spear's already in your heart, the thrust is literally just a formality.

Saber survived only because of luck (read: plot armor since it's literally her debut scene) and she was still crippled with an injury that refused to heal despite being not being a fatal hit

Vespa Crabro

Stellaron Hunter
V.I.P. Member
To put it into perspective

once lancer calls out the name, Almighty won't be able to see a future where he doesn't get hit because "the spear already hit"
He can't multiple choice a future that doesn't exist

His only choice is to pick one where Lancer doesn't call out the name, but then he arrives back to getting fucked because GB is Lancer's go-to when he's not under 50 layers of nerfs and getting trolled by Kirei.

Uoruk

Exceptional
V.I.P. Member
Picking a future where he survives doesn't mean he undoes the injury he gets from gae bolg and it still has anti regen.

at the end of the day he's just choosing a future where he "survives" for a few more seconds

To put into perspective what Luck is in Fate as Vespa stated:
What is needed to dodge Gae Bolg isn’t high agility but the power to reverse fate before the activation of Gae Bolg: high luck.
Luck stat in Fate is more the equivalent of basically defying Fate itself and telling it to go screw itself and do what you want to do(Like Artoria's high luck is that she kept Camelot around for longer than it had any right to be despite the entire World was ultimately gunning against it in a literal sense).
That's what is needed to actually defy something like Gae Bolg's thrust... which will still hit you, just not fatally and the wound is still an absolute bitch to overcome in any real fashion.

Back