Hades Discussion, Lore, Feats & Analysis Thread

1151800.png

Hades is an isometric roguelike action RPG dungeon crawler developed by Supergiant Games. It was released for Microsoft Windows, macOS, and Nintendo Switch in September 2020, which followed an early access release in December 2018. It was later released for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S in August 2021.

The game follows Zagreus, Prince of the Underworld and son of Hades himself. The setting is based on Greek mythology. Zagreus attempts to escape from the Underworld to reach Mount Olympus via the outside world, at times aided by gifts from the other Olympian gods. Each run challenges the player through a random series of rooms populated with enemies and rewards. The game has a hack and slash combat system; the player uses a combination of their primary weapon attack, a special attack, a dash ability, and a magic ability to defeat them while avoiding damage to progress as far as possible. Each run challenges the player through a random series of rooms populated with enemies and rewards. While Zagreus will often die, the player can use gained treasure to improve specific attributes or unlock new weapons and abilities to enhance the chances of escaping on subsequent runs.

Chaos embodies the primordial void, and Nyx's father is seen holding the Earth at his fingertips.
Zagreus: Chaos seems to have taken somewhat of a liking to me, Nyx. They mentioned you.

Nyx: They mentioned me, did they...I thought, perhaps, that they had long forgotten. You should know they are my mother and my father, child. We have not spoken since the dawn of time.

Zagreus: That's...oh.
XnGuw6f.png

Chaos's realm within the Underworld has many stars and is noted to have created all beings, including the world.
PZH2Iz0.png

All the weapons available to Zagreus were used to defeat the Titans.
tZ198Xt.png
z6OIjvL.png
BXX9IjU.png
1LS22j5.png
FQyyXAt.png
x0PKROT.png

Chaos itself is an infinite void, and from it, all existence was spawned into being.
xU0AtVi.png

Creatures of the underworld can absorb the essence of Chaos and become one with the Underworld. However, because of this, they can no longer leave it. Zagreus can't be far away from it for long periods. The Underworld itself is very close to the Void.
a5K0n40.png

The Underworld itself is a manifestation of the void.
VUxO8h1.png

Chaos itself made the Shield of Aegis/Shield of Chaos.
Chaos: ...Why, that is rather strange...

Zagreus: What, you must mean the Shield of Chaos, here? Your shield, Master Chaos, I should say. I...was able to compel Aegis to reveal its primal form. It's a remarkable artifact. Imposing, too! Your original creations must have been astounding.

Chaos: I cannot endlessly abide such ceaseless flattery, though perhaps for this one time, I shall accept it, and respond in suitable proportion.

Nyx was the one who saved Zagreus, and due to what she did, he is immortal even by the standards of the gods. As in way, way more immortal than they are, and it's functionally impossible to kill him permanently.
det6Pqh.png

Hermes is responsible for transporting all souls to Charon. Zagreus can get his speed via boon.
dujmh1s.png

Demeter was one of the elder Olympian gods that fought the Titans and required Malphon to defeat her father, Hyperion. Zagreus has access to them. She can freeze over the River Styx, which would cause untold damage to the Underworld. Demeter is responsible for the ice age on earth, which is why it's always snowing when Zagreus escapes. She also lifts the cold from the Earth post-game.
YnA93z0.png

Zagreus has closer ties to the darkness of the Underworld than anyone else Nyx has met before.
145456.png

Nyx created the Underworld, and it's a part of her. She didn't just rule over it initially.
1454567.png
1454568.png

The Arthurian Legend (Arthur), the Three Kingdoms (Guan Yu), Beowulf, Hindu Gods (Rama), Gilgamesh, and Christianity (Lucifer) exist in Hades, going by Zagreus’s Infernal Arms' last Aspects.
W0zSoY6.png
1tXSJ87.jpg
aNuTuR4.png
75c3aec79aedd65cdbee2d3e435daa1d442b5694.png
aNuTuR4.png
iMQ5kSj.png

Last edited:
does Chaos have any unique abilities apart from being a universe creator?
Not really, he can grant Zagreus his Boons that also come with curses that can make him take damage by attacking or dashing, other curses include slowing down speed or making you take more damage by lowering your health or durability. Can spawn and open up portals to his realm (resides in space between worlds) for Zagreus anywhere he goes. Scaling from his children and grandchildren he most likely has all of their abilities like precognition/clairvoyance, probability manipulation, mind manipulation, soul manipulation, and life and death manipulation.

Zagreus's Cast ability shoots a bloodstone via his blood.

Zagreus can augment his Cast ability with God Boons and has a God Gauge, filling as he deals or takes damage. When it reaches a certain threshold, it can be used to activate a powerful Call ability, calling upon an Olympian god to aid Zagreus for a brief period.
URW6fao.png

Zagreus can use Death Defiance to restore himself to life when killed up to three times.

Zagreus can equip the Lucky Tooth Keepsake to restore himself.
09yO6Gf.png

Zagreus can regenerate health between encounters.
zLuaCqn.png

Zagreus can disperse spirits/souls.

From Achilles Codex is stated that Thanatos is one of the gods that can travel between the Underworld and the surface realm. It is considered death itself. Achilles also believes that Zagreus is the God of Blood and Life.
'...Few gods traverse the boundary that divides the realm of surface realm where dwell the living, and this one, where dwell the dead. Thanatos ranks high even among those of such authority and power. Although it is my Master who presides over the Underworld, Thanatos is death itself, brother of Sleep, an instrument in sending mortals on their way into the Underworld; more peacefully than violently, mind you, as I did not encounter him myself when my time came, by Ares' and Apollo's design. As death is swift and unavoidable to mortals, so is Thanatos devoted without question to his work. Fatherless, he honors always his mother, the goddess Nyx. He tirelessly serves his foreign Master, whose son at least he adores, despite their opposing manner and outlook. Thanatos would never speak of this, but it is clear, to me. Whence came the bond they share? My thought is that the Master's son must be the god of blood; of life. Thus, they are inexorably drawn.'
Source: Thanatos's Codex

Unlike other gods, Zagreus bleeds red like a mortal.
'He was never insubordinate with me, despite his reputation. Perhaps my own lack of decorum in my youth made it easier for us to get along. He learned quickly, exhibiting his father's might, and even greater swiftness. Yet, he soon showed a quality that startled me much more. Forgive me, O gods! You are not known for your kindness. But this son of Lord Hades always regarded me, a mere shade, with respect; and the congenial manner of an old friend. Rumors swirl about the lad; about how he bleeds red like a mortal does. Well, if there's a trace of mortality in him, I am certain he is better for it. I should know.'
Source: Zagreus's Codex

Zagreus can't permanently die since he's already in the Underworld, and even when he's out on the surface, any death will bring him back to the House of Hades. He is incapable of living on the surface for more than a couple of hours.

Zagreus is immortal but can still sort of die.
vcbaP7m.png

Gods can be permanently killed somehow.
udxAuFJ.png

Zagreus has burning feet that leave a fiery footprint behind him.

Zagreus can smash through urns.

Zagreus can smash pillars, even with his shockwaves.

Zagreus can shoot an arrow with enough force to destroy pillars.

Zagreus can destroy pillars with his gun.

Zagreus smashes through a stone Cyclops head and stone monuments in Asphodel.

Zagreus breaking stone statues.

Zagreus can destroy small statues by dashing.

Achilles trained Zagreus and claims that Zagreus is as strong as his father, Hades, and a lot swifter.
'...Take one look at him and I think any questions of his parentage are soon resolved. He never seemed to like it much, there, growing up within Lord Hades' well-appointed house. One day I took him on as a disciple, under orders from Lord Hades; the Master worried that his heir lacked any firm direction in his life. And, indeed, Zagreus took well to the martial ways, and I am proud to say now that he was my student. He was never insubordinate with me, despite his reputation. Perhaps my own lack of decorum in my youth made it easier for us to get along. He learned quickly, exhibiting his father's might, and even greater swiftness. Yet, he soon showed a quality that startled me much more. Forgive me, O gods! You are not known for your kindness. But this son of Lord Hades always regarded me, a mere shade, with respect; and the congenial manner of an old friend. Rumors swirl about the lad; about how he bleeds red like a mortal does. Well, if there's a trace of mortality in him, I am certain he is better for it. I should know.'
Source: Zagreus's Codex

Hades easily smashes through several stone pillars.

Zagreus clashing against Lernie's strikes with his sword.

Lernie can crack the ground with its head slam.

Last edited:
Zagreus can shoot nine arrows rapidly in a spread.

Zagreus dodging a fireball from Lernie.

Zagreus can dash with a burst of speed.

Zagreus can dash over long gaps fast enough to cross them with no change in height.

Zagreus can deflect arrows fired by expert archers in Elysium.

Zagreus can fight Megaera, who can rapidly dash forward and move out of the way of those dashes and deflect them.

Zagreus has surpassed Achilles's skill in combat, according to Hades.
KufvvNf.png

Achilles almost ended the Trojan War single-handedly.
qelkDat.png
EBouteq.png
LhYcaXL.png
dh3QwGc.jpeg

Zagreus defeat Megaera. Some say that Megaera's skill surpasses Achilles, which is a rumor he does not want to investigate.
'...The ancient Fury Sisters deal retribution for eternity against all those whose lives unspeakably befouled the lives of others. They each seem to relish their grim work, though none so much as Megaera, the first among them. Her whip is very much notorious around these parts, and there are those who say she is more than my equal in the martial ways, a conjecture I see no reason to test. Though she by all accounts appears to lead a solitary life, she and the Master's son do have some history; although I am not privy to the details, and know much better than to ask. I do, however, know what she herself has volunteered to me, as we have on occasion passed the off-work time together in the Master's lounge. She has no parents; her surrogate mother is the goddess Nyx. She resents the Master's youthful son for words he spoke in careless arrogance. She follows the Master's orders and honors him; but her commitment is to the House itself, I think.'
Source: Megaera's Codex

Zagreus can fight against Longspears, which are described by Achilles to be extremely skilled.
'...I know what they can do only too well. Their endless training regimen takes influence from the specific martial style I strove to perfect in life; the spear always having been my preferred weapon, for its reach and versatility. These exalted souls of course are masters of arms, and would not have been placed within Elysium for simple military feats alone; yet, if the choice avails them, they would brandish those spears of theirs and fight with the terrible wrath of a starved wolf. That is their idea of heaven.'
Source: Longspear's Codex

Impressing Ares, the God of War, Zagreus has killed at least 10000 souls.
JsJ8nvP.png

Zagreus is unhurt by hitting the stone ground hard enough to crack it.

Zagreus can withstand being stabbed by a floor trap.

Zagreus can take hits from Megaera's magic blasts, which break stone pillars.

Zagreus can take hits from Lernie who can crack the ground with its head slam.

Zagreus can take hits from Asterius the Minotaur, who is implied to have cracked a large crater in the ground in the bottom right corner and can smash statues.
yPIS9uw.png

Zagreus can take hits from Hades, who can break a large number of stone pillars.

Zagreus can withstand standing in the molten lava of the River Phlegethon.

The Phlegethon is hot enough to bring swift death to even those most resistant to heat.

Zagreus can faintly feel the heat of Phlegethon all the way down in Tartarus, here is the distance between Tartarus and Asphodel.
PTab3Jp.jpg
DImnvep.png

Poseidon compliments Zagreus's skill in fishing.
VC3hTfV.png

Zagreus can fish in the lava of the Philegethon.

Zagreus with the Broken Spearpoint Keepsake provides him with a brief forcefield via invincibility on a cooldown.

Zagreus with the Sigil of the Dead Keepsake allows him to call on Hades to make him briefly invisible.

Stygius, the Blade of the Underworld, is a sword that formerly belonged to Poseidon. Zagreus can create a shockwave by striking the ground with it.

All weapons via Infernal Arms that belong to Zagreus all have Aspects that give each weapon different abilities. Aspect of Zagreus for Stygius gives Zagreus an increase in attack and movement speed. Aspect of Nemesis gives Zagreus a chance to deal critical damage briefly with a special attack. Aspect of Poseidon makes Zagreus's special attack dislodge Bloodstones from enemies. Aspect of Arthur increases Zagreus's health, and its special attack creates a large aura called Hallowed Ground which significantly slows enemy attacks and disables floor traps in the area.
hrZpI42.jpg
W0zSoY6.png

Stygius can heal Zagreus with every successful hit.

Zagreus can strike rapidly with Stygius.

Zagreus can do a big chop with Stygius.

Zagreus can fire waves that pierce foes with Stygius.

Zagreus can lunge forward and make himself Sturdy with Stygius.
ILuAGHO.png

Zagreus can hit twice with one special attack with Stygius.
KPdNO3s.png

Zagreus can hit wider with his special attack with Stygius.

Zagreus can hit twice with one dash strike with Stygius.
apr5bza.png

Stygius is considered one of the finest weapons ever wielded and was pivotal in the war between the gods and the Titans
'...Stygius, the Blade of the Underworld, must have been among the finest weapons ever wielded, back when it was whole. Back when the six elder gods sealed the Titans in the deepest recesses of Tartarus, that blade evidently played no small role in their success. It must have been Lord Poseidon who brandished that blade before he opted for that trident he so likes. Now the blade lies broken, survived only by its burning soul. I knew that Master Hades would pay little heed if I provided all the shattered remnants of the thing to his own son, who naturally was able to reconstitute them into something more than functional, indeed. It has been long since last the blade had a partner, and as I transported it, I could sense its eagerness to return to battle; to relive its own memories. I am left to wonder, who else shall someday bear this blade? The Master's son, among his charitable qualities, isn't warlike enough to want to use it forever.'
Source: Stygius's Codex

Back